Quantcast

recommend me a good, inexpensive digicam

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
I'm finally gonna pony up and buy a digital camera. I'd like to use it to take ride photos, bring it to parties, all the usual stuff. I'd also like to spend around $200. I've been browsing around cnet, but there's so much info on that site that its a bit overwhelming for a camera newb like me. Seems that in the sub $400 range, any camera I get is gonna have some downside, but which camera(s) minimize that? Looking on ebay, overstock, and other sites, it seems like it's pretty easy to find a good deal on just about anything. So what do you monkies recommend?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
i would look for a used Nikon coolpix 995. It might be a little bit on the bulky side compared to what you are seeing with current models but it allows you to use manual settings and the image quality is very good. I had one for several years before I upgraded to my D70.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I bought a cheapy digi on e-bay specifically for riding with. I paid 25 bucks (shipped) and it was a Kodak 2.1 megapixel camera. Took great snapshots. nothing fancy it just did it's job. I got it cheap because the screen on it was broken... no worries, just plug it into the PC to see the pix and deletel them. I wanted something super sheap so that when I inevitably crashed and smashed it I wouldn't be mad. I lost it instead, but I still wasn't mad. :

I bet you can find a 3mp or above nikon or canon or something like that on e-bay for under two hundred bucks. If you're like me and you crash alot make sure you store it deep in the camelbak when riding or get one you don't mind losing.

Currently I have a Nikon Cool Pix 7600. 7.1 megapixel witha 512 meg SD mem card. Takes AWSOME photos and did us well throughout Ireland.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I've owned 2 Canon digitals and use a third at work; all have been used almost exclusively outdoors and have withstood everything, while taking great looking photos.