Quantcast

Recommend me a seat

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I know seats are a subjective issue/topic/whatever and I need to sit on one to know if it really fits my arse. but with that in mind, I am looking for a seat that isn't too expensive but more importantly, won't break when I sit on it hard.

I don't really need a seat that is made of carbon/titanium/etc. I need a seat that is somewhat sturdy. the cheapo seat that came on my sub $300.00 complete bike was nice but now it's been kinda broken in and doesn't fit my butt so well.

when I look at all the online places, they seem to only carry expensive and light weight seats......

suggest away!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
The saddle that came on my old bike is/was really nice. It's an SDG comp - very comfy and held up very well over 3+ years of use. I looked into them again for my new bike but wanted something sleeker/lighter. I went with the Selle Italia Nixe, also a very nice saddle. Not as cushy as the SDG, but I like it.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
damm wal-mart!

fat as$? yea, huge one. I ride flats and when I slip pedals I take it in the seat. :|

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
also, I don't wear cushy shorts, just normal old jean type shorts (with the cuff rolled up like debbie gibson) so more padding is good.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
pnj said:
also, I don't wear cushy shorts, just normal old jean type shorts (with the cuff rolled up like debbie gibson) so more padding is good.
These look like easter egg blue to me... :devil: and not rolled up Debbie Gibson style.... what a jip, why don't you dress sexy when you ride with me? :think: :nope: ;)

a firmer seat is better, too much mush cushion more rubbage on the baggage. ;)
i've got a stock specialized one thats real mushy, you can have it if you want...

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
well, alot of the seats are seem really hard but designed to not smash you so much (w/ the holes in the middle and whatnot)

I don't need a couch seat, I have one of those, what I meant was, I think some of these seats may be pretty hard because lots of people have some padding in their pants.(uh...:))

I don't have padded pants so some squish would be nice. but I know what you mean about softer/harder seats and chaffing...

(ah man, now my pants are chaffing me.....)

What kind of seat do you have now? I have a WTB SSTX3 that I took off my K2 that you can have if you want to try it. I'll toss it in my car and you can check it out this weekend. Since you have about 1/2 as much ass as me, it might be just fine for you.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Titec Berzerker DH KCX, My ass will accept no substitute trust me it has tried and failed.

The berzerker is XC in width, DH in length, well padded in the right spots, and it has a real leather cover whick doesnt crack after lots of use.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
WTB seats are the BEST! I started with a Laser and on my Heckler I opted for the slightly smaller Rocket. I just even recently bought another Rocket to put on my new to me road bike.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
no idea what kind of seat it is, velo cheap I guess..

yea, bring that seat along.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
pnj said:
I don't need a couch seat, I have one of those, what I meant was, I think some of these seats may be pretty hard because lots of people have some padding in their pants.(uh...:))
Yah this one i got isn't a couch seat it's just the regular ole seat that came with my new bike, it's just softer than what i like, so if yer pal Pimpmaster's seat isn't to your liking, you can have it, cuz it's just sittin in my "Closet of Forgotten Bikey Parts".... :D

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
WTB seats are the BEST! I started with a Laser and on my Heckler I opted for the slightly smaller Rocket. I just even recently bought another Rocket to put on my new to me road bike.
Why does everyone love them so much? They dont last. That plastic leather crap cracks and peels back causing you to have to duct tape it back together eventually, god forbid you crash and smack it on a rock... then its punctured for sure... Imho anything thats not real leather is not made to go the distance.

[Edit: I should add I did own a WTB Speed V at one point and loved it till it started cracking and peeling (it came with my bike so I used it instead of getting a newer model Berzerker)... Anyway, my old berzerker was 3 years old and looked brand nnew except for some slight ass sweat discoloration and a few scuffs, my current one is 2 years old and I could probably pull it off and return it it looks so new]

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I like Specialized seats. Their Telluride Comp is around $40 and looks pretty comfy. I've got a first generation Body Geometry Comp, and its lasted several years.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
golgiaparatus said:
Why does everyone love them so much? They dont last. That plastic leather crap cracks and peels back causing you to have to duct tape it back together eventually, god forbid you crash and smack it on a rock... then its punctured for sure... Imho anything thats not real leather is not made to go the distance.
My Speed V has lasted a solid two years and still has alot more to go.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
golgiaparatus said:
Cows are made of leather and they don't live forever ! :evil:

Seriously though they are DAMN comfy! Nothing lasts forever and at about 1/2 the price of some boutique brand seat you can buy 2! They have higher level seats of the same design with Ti rails and Leather if you so desired. I had the "Laser" on my Sugar + for well over 2 years (and like 2500 miles) before needing to replace it with a Rocket. My current Rocket on my Heckler is over a year old and is just now starting to show some wear.

Long live the WTB Love Channel :heart: :heart:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Skookum said:
These look like easter egg blue to me... :devil: and not rolled up Debbie Gibson style.... what a jip, why don't you dress sexy when you ride with me? :think: :nope: ;)

a firmer seat is better, too much mush cushion more rubbage on the baggage. ;)
i've got a stock specialized one thats real mushy, you can have it if you want...

Is this pic at snowshoe (totally off topic)

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
odyssey cobra 9mm. got one on my ht and i lOVE it. soo beefy and comfy and holds up great after i trashed a love seat. that or a wtb power v dh. i love dh saddles