Quantcast

Recommend me a SLACK 6”-7” frame

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
The Intense SS is what I'd be looking at. Light, slack and low. Impossible to find used though and there's no way you'd use 175 cranks on a bike with a 13.6" bb height.

cheaper choices I'd look at. Giant Reign X0, Mongoose Pinner, Specialized Enduro SL (the SX trail is a pig, too much heft)

I'd concur on the Turner RFX on blowout might be a great call.

I like the Iron Horse 7 point, but they lost the DW link and I've got no confidence in then supporting older models.

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
I am reasonable, the Contact System is the shiz, but their frames tend to crack. I know of three (3) Meta 4x's that have cracked in the same place (one of them was only trailridden and 2 month old), one Mini DH that was pampered, and to boot I heard from a reliable source that the 09 Supreme has baaaad alignement.

People I know that know of Sunn's question them. Lapierre isn't represented here so I know nothing about them, I was speaking of French products in general, but good for France I you say so, they finally made something propper! As for Ellsworth and French cars, sauerkraut please. Common knowledge, end of story.

Sorry for the slight derailment of your thread Jebfour, but I belive that the quite extensive experiance of poor Commencal quality I have might be of a lot of peoples interest.

The Raah looks nice!

Geez all you do is bash bash bash and derail threads that have anything to do with Commencal's. Chill buddy, I'd love to know your reliable resources regarding Commencal.
If it was such an epidemic like you say, everyone would be singing the same tune but it always and only seems to be you

Now to address the actual thread:

That said the 2007/2008 Supreme DH would be perfect, with 7" of travel and adjustable headangle you could make that bike sing any song you wanted.

The Supreme Racing (former miniDH redesigned for 2009) at 6.35" of travel also has adjustable HA and can go pretty damn slack!

Lots of great suggestions so far, enjoy your ride for next season

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
A Reign X has a 67 degree head angle - 66 degrees with a 66/Totem. It also pedals better then the SX Trail standing in the middle ring.

If you're looking for a used 6-7" frame that rides like a DH bike both of them are great, although both have low BBs. The SX Trail rides more like a short chainstay bike (easier to get the front end up - like a Demo), while the Reign X rides more like a long chainstay bike (better high speed cornering/handling - like a Glory DH with a much lower bb).
A mates XO that I took for a ride pedaled like crap even with the correct air pressure (about 35%sag) and full pro pedal. It just has too much pedal interaction and even seated with clips, it bobs a bit.

An sx trail is also significantly slacker, especially with an 8.75" shock. That and a Totem and your looking at 65 degrees.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Geez all you do is bash bash bash and derail threads that have anything to do with Commencal's. Chill buddy, I'd love to know your reliable resources regarding Commencal.
If it was such an epidemic like you say, everyone would be singing the same tune but it always and only seems to be you

Now to address the actual thread:

That said the 2007/2008 Supreme DH would be perfect, with 7" of travel and adjustable headangle you could make that bike sing any song you wanted.

The Supreme Racing (former miniDH redesigned for 2009) at 6.35" of travel also has adjustable HA and can go pretty damn slack!

Lots of great suggestions so far, enjoy your ride for next season
I know that you in your possision as a Canadian distributor don't like what I'm saying, but I would be an ass if I didn't share my bad experiance with a bike brand, what ever brand that may be, with fellow monkeys.

I do bash, but I give propps when propps are do. That I have proven. I would be a happy camper with a big ass bonfire if Commencal adressed their aluminum/heattreatment issues, as the only problem I would have is deciding between another Meta 4x or the Supreme Racing (that BTW would fit Jebfour's needs perfectly as it pedals better than a Nomad but still is burlier).

Call me a lier if you want to, I didn't specify who my source is out of a reason that is more important than a slandering word from you. Instead I advice you to channel your energy on phone calls to France.

Evolve your product.

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
I say, SXtrail. I love my 07. I am going to give a go at racing next year so I am selling it to get a dh rig. :spam: Pm if you are interested.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
A mates XO that I took for a ride pedaled like crap even with the correct air pressure (about 35%sag) and full pro pedal. It just has too much pedal interaction and even seated with clips, it bobs a bit.

An sx trail is also significantly slacker, especially with an 8.75" shock. That and a Totem and your looking at 65 degrees.
If it was bobbing around seated he doesn't have enough pressure in the boost chamber. Any bike will pedal like ass in that situation. The only situation I've found where an SX Trail (or any of the other horst bikes I've owned) pedals better is standing in granny gear - getting up slabs is definitely easier.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I'm thinking a Turner Highline or Intense Uzzi VPX might fill the bill here. Both have been out for a few years (looks like the Highline isn't built anymore??) so after a little research, I could likely pick one up for a reasonable price.

Still thinking about the Intense SS though. I'd like to demo one along with the Uzzi.

Anyone here have any time on an Uzzi?

RJM (or anyone else) how do you like your highline?

Also - I was just offered a great deal on a 7" 66 so that is likely the fork that I will use....

Last edited:

RJM

Monkey
May 18, 2005
on the rocks
The 66 went well with my last highline. I'm running a Totem coil happily now. Both work great IMO.

For UZZI vs. Highline opionions all I can offer is my friend in arizona rode mine a few days and decided to sell his uzzi for a new highline. He really likeed it better for jumping and cornering. I think he mentioned something about ride 'feel' as well, its comfortable. The highline is just a balanced bike, it feels like you have owned one for a while even when its your first ride.

I like my highline because it can go uphill quite well for the downs. its heavier than my xc kind bike but it will take massive abuse, so if i'm not feeling as good one day the highline will give more confidence than my 5.5" rfx. Its springy off jumps too.
With an 8.5x2.5" stroke shock you get...
7.1 " travel.

I know with a 7.875" x 2.25 or 2.5 you will lower the bike and yield less travel. There was a guy who tried that and said he preferred the 8.5" shock for 7.1" of travel. He rides the shore and liked his BB a little higher.
1.5" HT
150mm rear
83mm BB
27.2 seat post
Frt Der. is Top pull Bottom swing i believe or other way around

Attachments

Last edited:

MaxShred

Chimp
Oct 28, 2008
Santa Fe, NM
Have a look at the 2009 Supreme Racing. The bike is a lot more aggressive then the 2008. It also can take a front der, or HammerShmidt.

This bike defiantly goes down a bit easier then it goes up, but it does pedal pretty well. I saw Gee Atherton using it for the DH race this year at the Sea Otter, and I used it in the Red Bull 12 hour DH race. It handled great, it will fool you into thinking you took out a much bigger bike. I don't think that it will disappoint.

Attachments

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
A Lapierre Spicy would fit the bill nicely although not as light as the morewood Mbuzi i reccomended earlier. Had a carpark test on one yesterday and it felt nice although not as nimble as the mbuzi.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I really like my SX Trail for aggressive AM/light DH riding a lot. I replaced both my Demo and XC bike with it, and so far it fits the bill. If you're ever willing to make the trek up to Ojai you'd be more than welcome to try it out.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I doubt that anyone cares, but the "new" frame is on it's way to me - an '05 Bullit. Not quite as slack as I was looking for but I got it for next to nothing with some extras off fleabay and had a 10% off coupon too, so for the price I couldn't pass it up.

Not the latest or greatest, but I have hopes that it will suit my riding!

Here is a breakdown of the build....

Frame: Santa Cruz Bullit
Fork: 2007 Marzocchi 66 RC2 ETA
Shock: 5th Element
Shifters: Shimano XT SL-M751 Rapidfire
Front Derailleur: SRAM X7
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT Long Cage
Brakes: Avid Juicy 5's w/Danger Boy levers
Rotors: 203mm Avid G2 Clean Sweep
Cassette: Shimano Deore XT 11-34T, 9-speed
Chain: SRAM PC-971
Cranks: Shimano XT hollowtech II FC-M760 175mm
Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT hollowtech II FC-M760
Bash/Guide:E Thirteen DRS
Wheels: Azonic Outlaws
Tires: Kenda Telonix 2.4
Handlebar: Sunline V-One 7075 Riser Bar - 0.75" Rise - 29" Wide
Grips: ODI Ruffian
Stem: Thomson X4
Headset: Cane Creek S2
Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Saddle: WTB Lazer V
Pedals: Azonic A Frames

Everything is in my garage just waiting for the frame and wheels to show up :monkeydance:

Last edited:

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
The Bullit will make you smile. If it's green, you'll smile bigger.
Green? Naw....it's blue

Pic of the frame when it's former owner had it built

Pile of stuff to bolt to it once it arrives (picked up the stem and fork Sat.!)

Once I get everything built, I'll post a pic either here or in the lounge...I'm actually really excited about this build - reminds my of how excited I was to build my old DHR :biggrin:

The way I figure it, it should be able to do just about anything (providing my legs and lungs do their job...)