Quantcast

Recommend me a snowboard.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
So my board is 6yrs old and I'm due for a new one.

I'm not really sure where to start looking.
I want a 154-155 size all mtn type board good for the icy east coast riding.

Any suggestions?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
You can't really go wrong with Burton. I never liked riding their stuff because it's what everyone else on the slope has. They make quality boards though. Great bindings and boots too.

I'd probably recommend something like the custom or the custom x. I rode a rossignol premier for the past 2 seasons as my every day board. Loved it, best snowboard I ever owned.

I ski now though. It's sooooo much better.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I have last years Rome Anthem sitting at home in my closet.
My friend let me try it out but it's a little long.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
200-300'ish
Definitely not a Burton Custom or Ride then. Do yo uneed just the board, or board + bindings? How tall are you, how much do you weigh? Weight comes into play more than height now due to new board designs. They really depend on their pop to get in and out of corners efficiently.

What sort of riding do you do, and in what conditions? (ie: big mountain riding in deep pow, or park riding on corduroy.

That'll come into play big time in deciding what sorta deck you want.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
how tall are you and what length is it?
It's a 158 and I'm 5'10" or 11" I can't remember.
I have a 157 now and it's not to bad I was just hoping for something a little shorter.
I enjoy doing the rails and stuff in the parks.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Definitely not a Burton Custom or Ride then. Do yo uneed just the board, or board + bindings? How tall are you, how much do you weigh? Weight comes into play more than height now due to new board designs. They really depend on their pop to get in and out of corners efficiently.

What sort of riding do you do, and in what conditions? (ie: big mountain riding in deep pow, or park riding on corduroy.

That'll come into play big time in deciding what sorta deck you want.
I need just a board.
I'm a heavier rider....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I have a 157 now and it's not to bad I was just hoping for something a little shorter.
For park stuff you will want to go probably 155 but no smaller, for big mountain stuff you'll want to ride a 158ish.

I ride a 158 for boardercross races, and a 152 in the park. I'm 5'5" 145, but I've also been riding forever on big mountains.

You may want to check out the new technine stuff for park riding, good boards, good pricing and great quality. Edit: they don't have much in the way of park boards this year, but the hiphop music board is a great all mountain board in 155, I rode one last year when I demoed all of their wares.

The burton clash is a good all round board for about $400. For $40 you can get the Blunt, which is a prett damn nice park board.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
ok. while it wasn't the greatest board for all rails, i loved my 158 anthem everywhere. i'm about your height(most likely a bit lighter as i weigh 130) and i don't think i would want to go any shorter/flexier unless i decide to start throwing down 720s or frontside boardslides on a flat-down-flat. my only complaint about the anthem is that for me it felt a little on the flexy side to me when i wasn't in the park and it doesn't have good float in powder.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I have the first generation Salomon board. I love/d it, but I've just decided to replace it for something a little less tired...

There are way too many board companies out there for me to keep track anymore. I remember Ride from like 6 or 7 years ago, and they're still around, and charging a fortune for their boards, so I figure they must be decent. But if I'm going to spend a fortune on a board, I'd sooner spend it on a Burton. So I did.

I just bought a Burton Triumph on eBay for $400 bucks. Its a 2006, but brand new. 'Sposed to be an all mountain type board, so I figure I'll be happy with it. It's a 156 by the way. Picked up some Burton Custom bindings for 120 bucks. 520 bucks for an all new setup seems decent to me, especially since my Burton Asym Air 5 from 1993 cost me pretty much double. (Man, that was a lot of newpapers delivered and dishes washed...)

I digress. Check eBay. If not, snowboard shops are giving great deals these days. In the end, it's likely hard to go wrong with a board, just don't get one too long or too short. I like to have my around mouth-nose height in length, and stiff. But then, I ride a little bit of trees, followed by corduroy, then ice. Ice probably the highest proportion. So stiff is good.

Bonne chance la...

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
Arbor Element. Nice and thick core and super nice feel. I got mine last year after my burton canyon was stolen. The board is in the same class and feels way nicer.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I love my Illuminati. I've had Burtons and Morrows in the past; both good brands, but a lot of bang for your buck with the Illuminati line.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Stosh - Transcend is defintely on the right track with the questions he's asking.

I've been snowboarding for 16 years now and am about the same height you are, but I from what I gather you weigh a bit more than I. Like Fraser was saying, it depends on what kind of terrain you like to ride, your height, weight, and also your shoe size.

I wear size 10.5 boots, so for a board that will be a good compromise between waist width, and edge to edge transitioning I've found that a waist width of about 250mm is pretty good. I usually try to err. a bit on the narrow side if I can because the wider the board is in the middle, the less responsive it is to transitioning from rail to rail in a turn.

For you I would say:

Ride: Kink 152 or 156
DH 155
Decade 156
Timeless 156

Burton: Royale 158
Air 157
Custom 156
Se7en 158

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Stosh - Transcend is defintely on the right track with the questions he's asking.

I've been snowboarding for 16 years now and am about the same height you are, but I from what I gather you weigh a bit more than I. Like Fraser was saying, it depends on what kind of terrain you like to ride, your height, weight, and also your shoe size.

I wear size 10.5 boots, so for a board that will be a good compromise between waist width, and edge to edge transitioning I've found that a waist width of about 250mm is pretty good. I usually try to err. a bit on the narrow side if I can because the wider the board is in the middle, the less responsive it is to transitioning from rail to rail in a turn.

For you I would say:

Ride: Kink 152 or 156
DH 155
Decade 156
Timeless 156

Burton: Royale 158
Air 157
Custom 156
Se7en 158

Thanks man!
Where do you usually ride?

bharrewyn

Chimp
Aug 3, 2006
Hey Stosh,
I've been on a Burton Custom for about 2 years now and they are buy far the best all around board on the mountain. Holds speed really well loves to turn and is still nimble enough to jib in the park. Burton is ahead of the industry and I think they are some of the best boards on the mountain. I've ridden a decent amount of boards and I still think Burton has the most responsive stuff on the hill.