Quantcast

Recommend me a snowboard.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Hey Stosh,
I've been on a Burton Custom for about 2 years now and they are buy far the best all around board on the mountain. Holds speed really well loves to turn and is still nimble enough to jib in the park. Burton is ahead of the industry and I think they are some of the best boards on the mountain. I've ridden a decent amount of boards and I still think Burton has the most responsive stuff on the hill.
Thanks man!

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
the right board depends on loads of variables stosh... i m assuming you are a noob boarder yeah ??... you live in the n/e if i remember correctly...

-what size shoe do you wear?
- what do you weigh ?
- how tall are you ?
- what type of riding are you into ? - more than likely all mtn kinda stuff (again i m assuming)...

ever skateboarded or surfed... have you ever ridden skis and i so how would you rate yaself ??

i ll do my best to give ya some recommendations... snowboarding rules:banana:

edit - just read back a little - skc and trans are on the money... a burton custom is perhaps a little too much board for ya ??!@#$^@#% also to the element by arbor... better boards for later when you ve got good grounding in riding...

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Anybody else have opinions on Arbor boards?

I'm looking for a new board right now and have pretty much narrowed it down to either the A-Frame/Element (pending on $$$), and the Timeless.

Also as far as size, I'm about 6'4" and 205#. Been riding for the last 9-10 years and have had a 161 Ride Fleetwood for the last 4-6 (who knows...). For terrain I primarily ride bowls, trees, moguls, corduroy, steeps, pow, etc... (Hey, I live in CO ;) )

Would a 168 Timeless fit the bill? The local ski shop has one and it sizes up quite nicely, not sure if it'll be too stiff for moguls and stuff though...

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !

I'm looking for a new board right now and have pretty much narrowed it down to either the A-Frame/Element (pending on $$$), and the Timeless.

Also as far as size, I'm about 6'4" and 205#. Been riding for the last 9-10 years and have had a 161 Ride Fleetwood for the last 4-6 (who knows...). For terrain I primarily ride bowls, trees, moguls, corduroy, steeps, pow, etc... (Hey, I live in CO ;) )

Would a 168 Timeless fit the bill? The local ski shop has one and it sizes up quite nicely, not sure if it'll be too stiff for moguls and stuff though...
arbor make sick boards... i ride a 168 abacus on pow days... very nice... ususally in rollin on a nitro pantera MW 167... early / late season basher is an old ride yukon (same frame as timeless just wider for big feet)

How are rossi's? Our local shop deals with them.
i have a rossi from 96/97 the seaone. was/is a phenomenal board, still carves beautifully, so much fun....even though i got a new salomon burner i still ride the rossi and love it...jsut a fun board, and has held up great, dropped it the first season i got it and split the sidewall a bit, seperating the base, about a half inch to an inch into the deck.....ten years later and it hasnt changed. they are making great stuff and have the construction part down since they have been making skiis for ages (doesnt reflect on ride, but does on how to construct the stuff). but yeah they are good too, at least at the higher end.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !

who rides moguls on a board :)...

168 sounds about right... i d prefer the element over the timeless... couldn t really go wrong with either.. go with the one you can get a better deal on...

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Moguls are a blast, and a good way to skip crowds. If you try to ride them like a skier would, by turning such that you're almost going straight down. Absolutely amazing (assuming they're not icy). :D :cool:

Are there any decent Arbor dealers online? I don't think there are any dealers near me unfortunately.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
I figure if I'm going to plan on doing nothing but moguls I'll use my old 161 Fleetwood, or my 156 Kink (I suck at park, but it's fun to try).

I've actually never been to Copper so I'll have to check it out this season. I really enjoy Geronimo at Keystone for mogul runs. :D

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I figure if I'm going to plan on doing nothing but moguls I'll use my old 161 Fleetwood, or my 156 Kink (I suck at park, but it's fun to try).

I've actually never been to Copper so I'll have to check it out this season. I really enjoy Geronimo at Keystone for mogul runs. :D
I think too much is one of the longest moguls runs in North America if I remember correctly. You WILL feel the burn.

I love copper, had a pass out there for 3 years running when I lived there. So much variety to the terrain.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
moguls are the last thing i look for when on my board... either way, it s all riding... have a safe winter out there folks !!
I love moguls for a good workout run, when you really wanna get the blood flowing and legs burning. Sorta like a hard training day on a bike. Just push as hard as possible, down low and pumping the entire time.

I've had a hard time getting to the parking lot walking somedays after doing that. Rubber legs.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Exactly. I find that if I'm not planning on staying a full day for some reason or another, and especially after corduroy gets ridden down, lift lines pick up, and fresh snow gets worn off... moguls hit the spot. One of the most challenging things a snowboarder can aim to do well in my opinion (for those of us who aren't park enthusiasts).

The hardest part about trying to hit moguls really fast is that unlike skiers we have to ride in the trough thing between them, instead of bouncing between them.

renorider40

Monkey
Aug 22, 2005
You can't really go wrong with Burton. I never liked riding their stuff because it's what everyone else on the slope has. They make quality boards though. Great bindings and boots too.
Their bindings work nice but I won't be getting plastic ones next time. I broke my highback and I have heard that alot of their bindings break pretty easy.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I think too much is one of the longest moguls runs in North America if I remember correctly. You WILL feel the burn.
The longest mogul runs in Summit County are at Keystone off North Peak. Telluride has a few bump runs down the front side over 3K vert. *KILLER* good bump runs, those.

I love copper, had a pass out there for 3 years running when I lived there. So much variety to the terrain.
Copper kicks ass. Too bad it's up I70. :rant:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
since we are on the subject of boarding moguls, anyone here get foot cramps after riding moguls for a while? my feet always kill me after i go down a mogul run or a bumped out tree run. then again i also suck at riding moguls because the moguls are always too icy to board them and i find it extremely boring when the moguls are in good shape.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Psh, you must not have good moguls then. Good moguls are evenly distributed, have nice decent sized troughs between them (maybe 2feet +/- some), and don't have that nasty glaze of hardpack on them.

My thighs and calves are usually what give out on me after hours of riding moguls.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The longest mogul runs in Summit County are at Keystone off North Peak. Telluride has a few bump runs down the front side over 3K vert. *KILLER* good bump runs, those.

Copper kicks ass. Too bad it's up I70. :rant:
Hmm ok, I will have to hit those up this winter. I70 is beyond a drag. I do not miss having to get up at 5am in order to beat traffic up the highway.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
since we are on the subject of boarding moguls, anyone here get foot cramps after riding moguls for a while? my feet always kill me after i go down a mogul run or a bumped out tree run. then again i also suck at riding moguls because the moguls are always too icy to board them and i find it extremely boring when the moguls are in good shape.
Moguls out east != moguls out west. I am pretty much over riding at all out here. No terrain, crappy snow, too cold and too much ice.

Nice dry champagne powder is where it's at. Proper moguls, after a nice fresh dump are things of beauty.

As for foot cramps, you may want to change your riding position if you intend of riding bumps. I never ride my park board in them, only my BX board, where i am almost have a carving stance. Your feet take much less strain this way.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Moguls out east != moguls out west. I am pretty much over riding at all out here. No terrain, crappy snow, too cold and too much ice.

Nice dry champagne powder is where it's at. Proper moguls, after a nice fresh dump are things of beauty.
You are not kidding. On a powder day there is *no* warmup at Mary Jane due to the need to lay first tracks down one of the great bump runs of all time: Drunken Frenchman. It hurts, but it hurts sooooooo good. :D

Here are some nice pics of powder & bumps:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Hmm ok, I will have to hit those up this winter. I70 is beyond a drag. I do not miss having to get up at 5am in order to beat traffic up the highway.
Cat Dancer, Powder Cap, Ambush. Don't go if it's not a good snow day, though.

The penultimate bump run is Kant-Mak-M to Mine Shaft at T'ride. 3100 feet of thigh-destroying bumpy goodness. :D

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
So far Parts and Transcend have definately been the ones asking the correct questions. The BIGGEST one, that i have not seen answered is 'what size shoe do you wear?'.

Boards come in different widths for different foot sizes and to some extent, foot placement.

That old Kink in the ebay ad is about three years old. It also has a few issues that make it only so-so for your climate. The top is DENIM, yes that is correct, 100% cotton denim top sheet. It is not durable, and will snow and ice to stick, making for a very heavy board. The kink is also quite soft in flex. It is an easy ride and will be fun at low speeds and park 'fun' but it will let you down at any speed freeriding on the hard pack.

There are LOTS of great board brands out there, but a lot of the brands ride differently. Some are more lively and 'poppy' while other brands are more stable at speed and have a more solid feel. If you care, there are still some companies making boards domestically vs china. Nothing agains the over-seas brands, i just think they should be priced accordingly, not MORE that domestic..).

Been riding since 1985, and in the biz (buyer/manager) for almost 15 years up until 1 1/2 years ago (back to school)

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
As for foot cramps, you may want to change your riding position if you intend of riding bumps. I never ride my park board in them, only my BX board, where i am almost have a carving stance. Your feet take much less strain this way.
well i never really plan to ride moguls. sometimes i just have to go down them before/after a good run. could it be that my setup is too flexy so my feet get moved around so much they cramp up? my bindings aren't all that stiff so they flex alot when riding moguls.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle

I think that you will find the arbor to be a more frendly ride and also better suited to true 'all mt' cruising. The latest incarnations of the timeless have been very stiff. IMHO the majority of the high - end ride boards have a more skittish - hi energy type feel to them. They feel nervous to me. If you are 'on top' of the board, that feel will give back lots of pop and energy, but if you want to relax and cruise a little, the timeless might bite back.

Some of the high end Nitro and Option boards offer the stiff agressive nature w/o the twitchy/nervous feel. Definately some of my favorite agressive fast all mt boards..

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ultimate in poppy boards, Palmer carbon circles BX board. Flexy enough to make up for some botched (typical) BX landing, but snappy enough to blast you out of corners and off lips. It railed in the backcountry too...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
well i never really plan to ride moguls. sometimes i just have to go down them before/after a good run. could it be that my setup is too flexy so my feet get moved around so much they cramp up? my bindings aren't all that stiff so they flex alot when riding moguls.

Very true with the foot angle. An 'across the board' stance will not sork so well when you are trying to change directions fast like in the bumps. Foreward stance and a norrow board are the ticket for bumps, BX, and carving

A lot of foot cramps are boot related. A supportive, snug, good fitting boot is the key foundation, but other things can help. Find a SPECIALTY snowboard shop that is knowledgable in boot fit and just ask them to help you check your fit. Just remember the info is only going to be as good as the employee is knowledgable. Find a shop that know their $hit, not a mall chain store!!

I would try a good custom foot bed from a shop that knows how to make them for SNOWBOARD boots. You want something supportive but NOT super stiff and unflexible like most ski orthotics. Try something like the Sole custom foot beds. Any decient shop will guarantee their boot work, and if the foot beds dont work, they will give you your $$ back.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Ultimate in poppy boards, Palmer carbon circles BX board. Flexy enough to make up for some botched (typical) BX landing, but snappy enough to blast you out of corners and off lips. It railed in the backcountry too...

The last dealer demo that i went to, i rode one and it RAILLED. I also had the plates on it and i am sure that made a little diffference as well. We could just never sell that type of board out here. We get so much wet heavy snow. Grooming is horrible, so no corduroy, just heaps of wet cement everywhere.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Yup, boot issues are probably the #1 problem that keeps people from enjoying snowboarding. Make sure you go to a GOOD snowboard shop. Not some sporting chain. Shops that tend to stock burton customs, palmer, etc ie: really high end stuff, are usually pretty good at this.

I am running sole stuff in my boots and love it. Made a HUGE difference as I used to get arch cramps on the first run of the day.

I also run ridiculously stiff boots that were actually designed for women (I have narrow feet, and i slid all over in vans/burton boots for men). Throw in some technine pro bindings and it really can't get any stiffer in a soft boot config.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The last dealer demo that i went to, i rode one and it RAILLED. I also had the plates on it and i am sure that made a little diffference as well. We could just never sell that type of board out here. We get so much wet heavy snow. Grooming is horrible, so no corduroy, just heaps of wet cement everywhere.
Ya, the power plates make a decent amount of difference if you have big boots and need to spread it out. I have size 7 boots and fit perfectly on the board. It has a TINY waist for railing corner, so it can be an issue. The carbon honeycomb makes it super light, and the 2 carbon strips and top coat are absurd for kicking you out of berms. I use my original race board as a rock board now, but it still has 90% of the snap it had when i first got it, incredible. First boards to ever use CF in them in this way, I believe. Of course at almost $1000 for a deck, they cost more than most snowboarders cars.

It';s a killer board on race courses (clearly), groomers, singletrack style woods runs etc. It destroys in powder due to a nice big nose and tail and tiny waist. It was also surprisingly agile in the park due to being super low weight and actually had a decent amount of flex for rails, but being 5'5" and 145 I had issues cranking it around at 158cms.

I love this board so much that i asked for 3 when i raced for them. Good thing, as the carbon circles BX model is now out of production, but I still have 2 squirrelled away in their original plastic and factory wax.

The only thing stiffer was the channels ti board which was beyond anything sensible. I could barely flex it. It had 2 ti rails down the middle of the board with a flex zone in it in addition to the carbon honeycomb. When it popped, it could take out teeth when demoing it in the shop.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Some of the high end Nitro and Option boards offer the stiff agressive nature w/o the twitchy/nervous feel. Definately some of my favorite agressive fast all mt boards..
for sure... my nitro pantera is the best board i ve ever ridden... not as stiff as my ride yukon, much more forgiving but a better snap out of corners... shes on rails... it s on the far right... 05/06 model..

this is me testing it in solden, austria 12 months ago... demo day... i was going to get an arbor roundhouse... thankfully i came to my senses and i was lucky enough to land myself 2 new sleds last winter...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Yup, boot issues are probably the #1 problem that keeps people from enjoying snowboarding. Make sure you go to a GOOD snowboard shop. Not some sporting chain. Shops that tend to stock burton customs, palmer, etc ie: really high end stuff, are usually pretty good at this.

I am running sole stuff in my boots and love it. Made a HUGE difference as I used to get arch cramps on the first run of the day.

I also run ridiculously stiff boots that were actually designed for women (I have narrow feet, and i slid all over in vans/burton boots for men). Throw in some technine pro bindings and it really can't get any stiffer in a soft boot config.

:cheers: salomon malamutes for me, stiffest that i could find, and fit me like a glove. Gotta remember, ALL boots will soften up a little when you wear them.
We used to sell a lot of womens models to guys with small feet. If you have a mens 7 or so, good chance that your foot is narrow as well. In fact when buying for the store, i always needed, and bought, some high-end womens boots in 'man friendly colors' for just that reason.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
for sure... my nitro pantera is the best board i ve ever ridden... not as stiff as my ride yukon, much more forgiving but a better snap out of corners... shes on rails... it s on the far right... 05/06 model..

this is me testing it in solden, austria 12 months ago... demo day... i was going to get an arbor roundhouse... thankfully i came to my senses and i was lucky enough to land myself 2 new sleds last winter...

What do you think of your Yukon? One of the local shops has a few from last year at decent prices.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
the yukon is a nice board... but i think it s a *little* too stiff... the pantera is way more forgiving but you can still ride it harder (push it harder in turns)... it s funny... the yukon is so stiff that it beats you up... the nitro is a much better board...

edit - the nitro is a tad slimmer as well... it transitions from rail to rail faster... i can pump (rail to rail) this board like i m surfing picking up speed... with the yukon is more the board taking you for a ride... more like a malibu surfboard... thats my feeling anyway... these days my snowboarding is mtn surfing :)...

bring on the snow !!