Quantcast

Recommend me a tire!!

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Yo. Here's the dealie-o:

This is my commuter steed:

(And for those curious, I already switched out the boat anchor of the saddle/post combo...oddly enough, my DH Race combo weighs a little more than a pound less...Thomson Masterpiece/WTB Laser Ti vs. the Scott junk...)

I just changed tires to some FREE!!! (double w00t!!) Continental Sport 1000's. (700x23c) Way skinnier than the 35c cross tires that came stock...(Put about 500 miles on them before the rear became completely bald.) So I figure that these tires will last about 300-400 miles (About a month with the way I'm riding now...100-125 miles per week...)

Sooo...I'm in the market for my next set of tires. I'd like to stay with the 23c size cause the rims are pretty beefy and 23's seem to fit just right. I'm a big dude so something that handles 120psi would be great (I put the conti's up to 110...we'll see how that works...). Also want something that is just plain fast (i.e. low rolling resistance.). My entire commute is paved (About 4 miles of crappy city streets and about 15 miles of bike trail) so I could probably do slicks...but I have no experience in this realm....

All help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
In my experience, the Michelin Carbon lasts quite a while...~2000 miles on the rear, and it rolls fast enough to be a race-worthy tire. However, they can develop small cuts and nicks; I suppose it depends in what way the 4 miles of city streets are crappy. An alternative would be the Michelin Lithion. The compound is harder than the Carbon(and the tire's cheaper) and is quite resistant to cuts.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
In my experience, the Michelin Carbon lasts quite a while...~2000 miles on the rear, and it rolls fast enough to be a race-worthy tire. However, they can develop small cuts and nicks; I suppose it depends in what way the 4 miles of city streets are crappy. An alternative would be the Michelin Lithion. The compound is harder than the Carbon(and the tire's cheaper) and is quite resistant to cuts.
Ahhh...I knew the mon-kay wouldn't let me down. Cool, I'll have to check those two choices out. By crappy, I mean pot-holes, lots of uneven surfaces that butt up against one another (poorly done revisions and half assed workmanship), and just general road grunge laying about (small rocks, remains of car accidents, safety glass, etc.)...

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Yeah, the road grunge may be the killer for the Carbon's...maybe.

As a general rule of thumb for any tire, dragging your hand(with a glove on) or an energy bar, gel, etc on the tire after you think you have run something over helps with flat prevention because it knocks off any glass before it works its way through the tire.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
700x25 Gatorskins

23s if you must go as fast and as rough as you can.
Good performance commuter tire. I've also had good luck with Vredestein Fortezzas. I usually run the 23c. Last longer than Conti tires, have a few less flats and the ability to run higher pressure (145, I think).

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I would use Specialized All Conditions Armadillos. Armadillos used to be pretty quirky (couldn't use them on certain rims, rode like bricks), but they've come a long, long ways since then. I now think they're pretty good tires, and the "no flat guarantee" isn't bad either. If you pop a tube because of a puncture, stop by any Specialized dealer and they'll give you a new tube. Doesn't happen very often. Pinch flats don't count. They seem to wear pretty well too.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll definately check 'em all out before the current tire selection needs to be replaced.

On a brighter note, my commute (on the stock 35c 'Cross tires) clocked in at an average of 1:14 on the way home and 1:10 on the way in. Once I switched to the new tires I dropped to an average of 1:03 home and 1:01 on the way in. The 23c's roll so much easier it's crazy...I suppose the extra 25 psi doesn't hurt either...but dang! Grabbing another couple gears just cause I can feels good!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I have also been impressed with Michelin Carbons, they hold up pretty well to the streets of SF and the Bay Area (including rail tracks, potholes, glass, etc.). I used to ride Conti's but switched to Michelins a few years back and have been very happy.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Thread dreadge...

Aight. I've learnedededed alot in the past year and found that the Conti's that I put on have lasted about 2400 miles (regularly rotated)...a far cry from the 500 I thought they'd give me.

However, they're gonna go bye-bye fast. So, I checked out the Michelin Lithion and I think that they will do nicely.

Now, I would like some suggestions as to reputable (and preferrably cheap) sites where I can pick a pair of these bad boys up.

Thanks!!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Try running a Vittoria Diamonte Pro.....

220 thread count
Supple
Last a long time
150psi max
Great traction
very low rolling resistance
Works great for bigger guys, I weigh in at 245 and ride the hell out of mine.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've had good luck with Conti Ultra Race tires. Affordable, seems to last pretty well, no problems with flats at 120psi...

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Well...it's all over but the shouting. I wore the Conti's so thin that I couldn't make it 4 miles without flatting. So on my commute home yesterday (after flatting for the third time), I walked to a LBS on the trail. They got me all set with some Schwalbe Stelvio's (700x25). They roll just as fast as the 23's but feel a helluva lot better. Way more compliant with terrain undulations and what not.

Time will tell if they can stand the Squirrel test...

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
So you got none of the tires recommended by your fellow monkeys....

probably the smart thing to do.
Yeah...I didn't really have a choice at that point though...it sucked. I was a mile out from the nearest shop when I flatted for the third and last time (out of tubes at that point) and had to walk there. Which destroyed my cleats...I have to replace those today. They only sold Schwalbe's and Conti's. *Shrug* for the 90 miles that I put on em so far, they're nice. More pliant than the Conti's and a little easier rolling even... We'll see if I get anywhere close to 5K on 'em like the dude said I should.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Yeah...I didn't really have a choice at that point though...it sucked. I was a mile out from the nearest shop when I flatted for the third and last time (out of tubes at that point) and had to walk there. Which destroyed my cleats...I have to replace those today. They only sold Schwalbe's and Conti's. *Shrug* for the 90 miles that I put on em so far, they're nice. More pliant than the Conti's and a little easier rolling even... We'll see if I get anywhere close to 5K on 'em like the dude said I should.
just messing with ya....

Actually, one of buds put the schwalbe's on a month or so ago. I haven't heard him say a word about them. That's good because he typically bitches about everything.