Quantcast

Recommend me a work stand.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ok what's everybody using and where did you get it?

I'm looking at the Park Tools PCS-9 right now.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
Ultimate Pro repair stand.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=5962&srccode=2047

Solid, well made, folds up very compact & comes with a nice rugged bag to carry it in. I've put a bunch of different bikes on mine and it holds anything from a lightweight XC bike to a 45+ lb. DH bike.

I'd venture to say it's better than the Park stand.
I would be willing to take your suggestion if it wasn't for that fact that I just got done reading my sig.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'd go ultimate just for the tripod base. I've used a couple of ultimates, lots of parks, and I own that peice of crap trek one (wrench works or whatever it is). Prices are all pretty comporable, I'd rather have the tripod base.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
splat said:
Well I have had 2 work stands , NIether one has been a park, and well they start out goods and all, just as good or better than the Parks , Over time they just have not been able to go the Long Haul.
Thats how mine has been!!

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
stosh said:
Ok what's everybody using and where did you get it?

I'm looking at the Park Tools PCS-9 right now.
I bought a Park PCS-9 on ebay. with shipping, it still comes in under $80. I've had it for a few months now and like it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Having a stand that works well when camping or at home on a concrete floor is important.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
tonyhawk said:
I bought a Park PCS-9 on ebay. with shipping, it still comes in under $80. I've had it for a few months now and like it.
Hrmmm ok thanks I'll look into it.

Does the PCS-9 fold up? Easy of packing is also important.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stosh said:
I would be willing to take your suggestion if it wasn't for that fact that I just got done reading my sig.
Gah! Foiled again.

If you want a stand that works while camping, the tripod base of the Ultimate stand is very important. Those other types (two legged kind) don't work as well on uneven surfaces.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
Gah! Foiled again.

If you want a stand that works while camping, the tripod base of the Ultimate stand is very important. Those other types (two legged kind) don't work as well on uneven surfaces.
Yeah and I like the fact that it folds up very compact. I think thats the one my friend has... it always seemed kind of cheap to me. How long have you had it?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
the Inbred said:
Ultimate Pro

the only problem i've had with mine is after a race that ended up like this:

DIRTY PIC

it was hard to release the bike for a week or two. now it works as good as ever.
Dude, post a warning before you post stuff like that.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
stosh said:
Hrmmm ok thanks I'll look into it.

Does the PCS-9 fold up? Easy of packing is also important.
Sort of... the legs fold, but they fold the wrong way from what you would expect. Sure it's flat, but it's also like 8 feet long with the legs in the folded position. It'll fit under a bed or something, but not easily in a closet. Mine lives in the basement, so it's never folded.

I would not consider it portable.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stosh said:
Yeah and I like the fact that it folds up very compact. I think thats the one my friend has... it always seemed kind of cheap to me. How long have you had it?
3 or 4 years. Can't say I've been particularly abusive to it, but it has gotten a lot of use and I've never had a problem with it. I've put a bunch of my friends' bikes on it as well as my own, since I'm about the only one of my friends who is a competent wrench :p

Brought it to some races, brought it camping once or twice...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
tonyhawk said:
Sort of... the legs fold, but they fold the wrong way from what you would expect. Sure it's flat, but it's also like 8 feet long with the legs in the folded position. It'll fit under a bed or something, but not easily in a closet. Mine lives in the basement, so it's never folded.

I would not consider it portable.
Ok well I'll be crossing it off my list then.

Thanks!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
3 or 4 years. Can't say I've been particularly abusive to it, but it has gotten a lot of use and I've never had a problem with it. I've put a bunch of my friends' bikes on it as well as my own, since I'm about the only one of my friends who is a competent wrench :p

Brought it to some races, brought it camping once or twice...
Cool that sound exactly like the use that I would be applying to mine. Well minus the races.... :)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have some kind of workstand but barely use it. It holds the bike up but I end up having to crouch down to work on the bike. Most of the time I hang the bike on a hook hanging from the center beam in the basement. Puts the bike at just the right height to work on.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Westy said:
I have some kind of workstand but barely use it. It holds the bike up but I end up having to crouch down to work on the bike. Most of the time I hang the bike on a hook hanging from the center beam in the basement. Puts the bike at just the right height to work on.
got a link to these "hooks" you speak of?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Westy said:
If you need a traveling bike stand you can screw one into a 4X4 and bring a post hole digger.:)
I screw it into a 4x4 and bring a midget to hold it for me.

If I need extra support, I put the midget in a hole.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Westy said:
If you need a traveling bike stand you can screw one into a 4X4 and bring a post hole digger.:)
I was just thinking I'll screw them into tree limbs when I go camping.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
binary visions said:
I screw it into a 4x4 and bring a midget to hold it for me.

If I need extra support, I put the midget in a hole.
I dig no holes. By post hole digger I meant midget. My traveling manservant is a micro-sized version of a normal one.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
A number of years ago I shelled out for the full blown Park shop quality one. PRS-3. One of the best bike tool purchases I've ever made. It is not a portable stand if that is what you want.

Andy_B

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
whereabouts unknown
I have one of the High End Ultmate ones... I have had i for about 4 years now. Works great. I take it to every race. When it is at home, I hang 3 bikes on it. Dh bike on the arm CX bike in the clamp, XC bike on the knob on the back

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Andy_B said:
I have one of the High End Ultmate ones... I have had i for about 4 years now. Works great. I take it to every race. When it is at home, I hang 3 bikes on it. Dh bike on the arm CX bike in the clamp, XC bike on the knob on the back
I'll have to call up my LBS and see if they can get the Ultimate Stand.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
the Inbred said:
Ultimate Pro

the only problem i've had with mine is after a race that ended up like this:

steve

it was hard to release the bike for a week or two. now it works as good as ever.
i don't know who did that, but it was rather amusing.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
binary visions said:
Ultimate Pro repair stand.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=5962&srccode=2047

Solid, well made, folds up very compact & comes with a nice rugged bag to carry it in. I've put a bunch of different bikes on mine and it holds anything from a lightweight XC bike to a 45+ lb. DH bike.

I'd venture to say it's better than the Park stand.
I have one of these. I like it, but for some reason I have a hard time operating the clamp with one hand (it always sticks). This is particularly frustrating when holding a 42lb dh bike up with the other hand.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Biscuit said:
I have one of these. I like it, but for some reason I have a hard time operating the clamp with one hand (it always sticks). This is particularly frustrating when holding a 42lb dh bike up with the other hand.
I'd try and warrenty it if I were you. Mine never sticks.

If it's out of warrenty, try taking it apart and cleaning/lubing it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Biscuit said:
You must be one of those people who's bikes don't make noise.
Actually, I am :D

I hate things that squeak/creak. Doors, bikes, cars, whatever. Anything that squeaks gets attacked viciously with lube or grease.

edit: There's a perverted joke in there somewhere, any takers?

Andy_B

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
whereabouts unknown
binary visions said:
Actually, I am :D

I hate things that squeak/creak. Doors, bikes, cars, whatever. Anything that squeaks gets attacked viciously with lube or grease.

edit: There's a perverted joke in there somewhere, any takers?

you like old pu-tang???? :help: