Quantcast

recommend me some rims

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I've been running 36 spoke Mavic 729's for 3years. They are very awesome but the rear is starting to get quite a few dings and flat spots. I will most definetly get the year out of it but am starting to prepare for new rims for the Hadley hubs that I run.
The obviuos thing to do would to just get some new 729's, but If there is a 36 hole rim out there that is just as strong, at least 25mm's wide, and as light or lighter then the 729 I want to know about it.
For the record I'm not interested in 721's or 823's.

cheers

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I have yet to find anything that holds up as well as the 729, even after riding several race runs down with flats they still held up, ran some st swiss and they tacoed been running a set of 823 latley but find they are strictly light tubless use, no big hits. the dee max just havent impressed me, although they are cheap, just dont last as long

I say stick with your recipe

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I have yet to find anything that holds up as well as the 729, even after riding several race runs down with flats they still held up, ran some st swiss and they tacoed been running a set of 823 latley but find they are strictly light tubless use, no big hits. the dee max just havent impressed me, although they are cheap, just dont last as long

I say stick with your recipe
823 only light tubeless use? No big hits? I've been runing my 823s for 2years now and they only have one small ding after hitting a ledge from a 3.5m drop. They are nearly impossible to ding unless you tend to plow everything.

BTW. Deemaxx cheap? Last time I remember they were around 500 euro...

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
823 only light tubeless use? No big hits? I've been runing my 823s for 2years now and they only have one small ding after hitting a ledge from a 3.5m drop. They are nearly impossible to ding unless you tend to plow everything.

BTW. Deemaxx cheap? Last time I remember they were around 500 euro...
I'll 2nd nearly every thing in that post. I haven't hit a drop that big.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
If you're opposed to Mavic, you should consider the WTB LaserDisc DH. Or maybe, the FR model if you can get away with a narrower rim. They're durable, reasonably lightweight, and affordable.

I've had great luck in the past--DH and dirt jumping--with both.

Cheers.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Never DT rims. 6.1 dent like hell and 5.1 would simply be a catastrophic fail. Unless you are sponsored and have the possibility to get new rims every month if you are smooth or every week if you are not 5.1 are the worst possible choice imo.

Maybe instead of looking for a nice rim for a headly a complete 09 deemax of fulcrum wheel would be good at 2100g weight for the set? They are also both ust ready so you can save some more weight but the servicing (had deemax and it was annoying) and price may put off some ppl.

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
After I dented the s**t out of my 729s I picked up a pair of Bombshell FatDaddys by Avent, a BMX/MTB company out of California. These things are affordable, bombproof and not any heavier than the Mavics I was running before. This is the second year of DH racing on the Bombshells and Ive only had them trued once. Ive even finished a race or two with a rear flat and no dings or flat spots in the rim. sic!

colly keogh

Chimp
Nov 30, 2008
dublin ireland
if you have a more ahem chuck norris way of dealing with rockgardens i woudent go near 823s there strong enough flatspot wise but thet buckle fairly easy i would definitly consider looking at the halo sas there in and around the same weight as a 729 if not a bit lighter and are insanely strong i rode down the 2008 french nats track in villenueve (best track i ever rode crazy french:rockout: ) with a flat and it didnt flatspot cant reccomend them enough really

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
i have had some very good luck with STANS rims. light and strong.

Ya but can you get those in 36 hole??? My buddy has them and they look kinda wimmpy (trail bike), and they don't even have spoke eyelits. He's been running them for a few weeks now and they are still straight and have no flat spots..........exceeded my expectations. If they are tough then they would be great given that they only weigh 450 a rim.