Quantcast

recommendations for a good mud tire

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Looking for recommendations for a good mud tire. I need one that cleans well, and has decent lateral traction. I have a couple of big XC rides coming up over the next couple of weeks and they are going to be pretty mucky. I currently have 2.1 Velociraptors that seem to fill up pretty fast in the really mucky stuff. I can run a 2.3, but I doubt I can clear a 2.5.

Mar 27, 2003
One of my favorite mudt ires are the Hutchison Mosquitos. They come in a 2.0 and maybe a 1.9 or 1.8. Not sure any more. The only problem I can gripe about is they are kinda fragile. I have seen a few fall apart rather quickly when used in rocky, hard terrian and one of mine blew a knob off while I was inflating it effectivly dust binning the tire.

You might want to look at the Bontrager Jones ACX. Looks very similar and may be easier to find.

On a side note, anyone else notice the similarities between the Python/Revolt Super X and the Mosquito/Jones ACX?

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
I have a pair of Maxxis SWAMP THINGS that I can sell ya, they only have a few rides on them. Both are around 2.3 I think? Heavier than maybe you might want, but they ROCK in sloppy stuff. I'll PM when I get home from work this evening.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by indieboy
mud, you know what mud is? :devil: :D

think you should have taken some from WVA back home w/ ya :p
No thanks, I'd rather leave it there. Give me 100 degrees and sunny thank you very much.:D

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Heidi
Hmmmm- how does that saying go???

Something about all talk and NO game.:p :monkey:
you come out here and experience the frickin 45-90% humidity we got, feels like i'm riding through shiet, literally. it's gross some days :( plus it does horrors on your hair yo :D

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by indieboy
you come out here and experience the frickin 45-90% humidity we got, feels like i'm riding through shiet, literally. it's gross some days :( plus it does horrors on your hair yo :D

PFFFFFFT: weather at 8:12 PM for San Diego

70°F
Humidity: 93%

:eek: I got done with my ride tonight and was soaked. I couldn't possibly have sweat any more.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Heidi
PFFFFFFT: weather at 8:12 PM for San Diego

70°F
Humidity: 93%

:eek: I got done with my ride tonight and was soaked. I couldn't possibly have sweat any more.
heheheeeeee that was the other morning except it was 86 w/ that type of humidity. i was at a friends hosue and my riding clothes were wayyyyyyyyyyy more soaked then i honestly thought they were and i sat down on this stool that had a covering over it and my shorts left an imprint. kinda looked like a smiley face LOL

Mar 27, 2003
Quiet down fellows, you ain't seen heat and humidity until you spend a summer a Ft Benning GA in infantry training. 90 degrees plus most days with 80-95% humidity. Ad to that full BDU's, K-pot, rucksack and rifle. I don't sweat much, but I would soak my entire uniform every day there.
70 degress was like a day in air conditioning to us.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by jonassterling
Quiet down fellows, you ain't seen heat and humidity until you spend a summer a Ft Benning GA in infantry training. 90 degrees plus most days with 80-95% humidity. Ad to that full BDU's, K-pot, rucksack and rifle. I don't sweat much, but I would soak my entire uniform every day there.
I was a 60 gunner there. My skin still has an orange tint to it from crawling through that nasty clay. :D

Now, back to tires...I rerally liked the Michelin Comp S for mud and pretty much everything else. Sadly, they only make it in 1.9 now. The Comps S Lite (2.0) is okay, but lacks the mud abilities of the original.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by jacksonpt
I can run a 2.3, but I doubt I can clear a 2.5.
I really like the Maxxis Mofo DH (2.35), but the knobs are very wide and run more like a 2.5 or 2.6. I had to take them off my bike because I had almost zero room to play with.

Anyway, I am back to my Conti Explorer 2.1's, which blow chicken nuts in the mud, so I am also looking for a good mud tire.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Hutchison Mosquito Gold 2.0. This is my all around tire but excels in the mud and slick roots of the NE. The silica compound in the side knobs helps to hold corners and wet roots and rocks. They do wear fairly quickly though, especially if they see any time on the pavement.

Of course mine are set up tubeless:D

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by jonassterling
pull your head out of columbus, ga solider :D, trust me i know that weather. i've spent many many summers in south ga (tifton) @ baseball camps at ABAC from 9am-3pm

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
I really like the Maxxis Mofo DH (2.35), but the knobs are very wide and run more like a 2.5 or 2.6. I had to take them off my bike because I had almost zero room to play with.

Anyway, I am back to my Conti Explorer 2.1's, which blow chicken nuts in the mud, so I am also looking for a good mud tire.
I have the Mofo's now, down from a 2.7/2.35 Intense DH setup. I run both front and rear 2.35 in the Mofos. They are a bit too blocky in the really sticky mud, it doesn't shed so well, but otherwise they rail for a pretty good range of conditions.

I think Conti should get out of the mtb tire market altogether, they make rockin road tires, but most of the mtb tires I've seen friends ride, (and crash on) seem to be wash-o-matic.

IRB, I have a pair of Swamp Things up for sale, they are just a tad smaller than the Mofo's, (2.3) with spikier knobs, and about the same weight of casing.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I'd be willing to bet that they're old tires. I emailed Michelin about a year ago and was told that they were discontinuing the Comp S in 2.1. Their current product line on their web page only lists the Comp S Lite.

Are there any negatives about old tires? Does the rubber breakdown when they just sit in a box or on a shelf somewhere?

luke3.14

Chimp
Aug 11, 2002
Ma
i also forgot about the michelin mud 1.85 cross country mud tire, i have riden it and i like it alot. it splits the mud well and doesnt slow down at all.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
i am using a dh intense 2.25 for the front, great stopping powers and doesn't wash out

i got an old michelin dh mud for the rear...all spikey for those wet tree roots and a mud chucker to boot.

mine are more for climbing or going downhill like in the wet....

if i were in an xc race these ones i got definitely don't push the mud.

i have to leave the trail to get anywhere in a full blown rainstorm if i am not in the hills or forest.