Quantcast

Recommendations for a sander

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Still thinking of options for refinishing the spooky.

I have a plug-in (higher speed) drill, as well as the dremel now. Are there any good options for sanding with either of those? I also have a belt sander, but that's not going to work on a frame. I'm having trouble finding anything that will attach to a drill or even a dremel for sanding the pits out...I'm guessing that means its a bad idea.

Alternatively, anybody know if sandblasting followed by powdercoat will remove the majority of pitting or at least cover it up? I'd love to do this by hand but I'm guessing all-in I'll be looking at close to the cost of a professional job.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You will fuck up the frame if you try to sand it with power tools.

Wet sand by hand with fine grit, might be able to start off with a brass wire wheel to get the oxidation off.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Your best bet is to have it media blasted if you want your next paint job to look the best.

Soda blast is the least abrasive and will produce the best finish, you can actually polish it after soda blast

That would require @Sandwich not only to seek proffessional help, but to then to have something done in a professional manner. I am assuming he cursed and spit at the bearing puller he used to pull a bearing then promptly returned it promising to never use the right tool for the right job ever again.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That would require @Sandwich not only to seek proffessional help, but to then to have something done in a professional manner. I am assuming he cursed and spit at the bearing puller he used to pull a bearing then promptly returned it promising to never use the right tool for the right job ever again.
Acktually, I already have two quotes on powder coating. I was just thinking of polishing the frame instead. I also want to make sure that the process will resolve the pitting. I don’t want to pay for shit results.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Also, bikes are fun for me. I pay other people to do important shit, like decks and bathrooms. If I want to hand polish an aluminum frame for a hundred bucks rather than paying somebody $1500 for the same thing, let me. If I want to angle grind a headset to get some gunk out, set me straight.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Acktually, I already have two quotes on powder coating. I was just thinking of polishing the frame instead. I also want to make sure that the process will resolve the pitting. I don’t want to pay for shit results.

Jus busting your balls. I tried polishing some 50 year old aluminum timing covers, the brass wire wheels did a great job or removing oxidation without hurting the aluminum. Get that shit off so you can assess the condition of the base metal.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Also, bikes are fun for me. I pay other people to do important shit, like decks and bathrooms. If I want to hand polish an aluminum frame for a hundred bucks rather than paying somebody $1500 for the same thing, let me. If I want to angle grind a headset to get some gunk out, set me straight.
PM @rideit. He's got the hookup for cheap labor on miserable jobs.