Quantcast

Recommendations for mtb rig?

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
Instead of putting a canopy on my Chev 4x4, I am toying with downsizing to some wagon (ie. Sub Forester) type of vehicle. I know that I will miss the room and the the ability to haul 5 smelly bikers and their bikes, but the improved gas milage would be nice.

Also, being able to sleep one or two inside would be a plus.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
Dunno how much this will help you, but any sort of hatchback will have plenty of storage space. Back when i had my eclipse i could easily carry 2 ppl + 2 bikes + day's worth of gear... also hauled back enough wood from home depot to build myself a loft bed. Forester is a nice all around vehicle- i've spent a couple days in colorado recently being driven around in one. all wheel drive is a nice thing to have if you live in snowy areas, and you should definitely be able to carry 4 bikes and 4 passengers if you get a roof rack.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
chicodude01 said:
The subie wagon has to be one of my favorite cars. I say get one of those
:stupid:
I'm currently toying with the idea of purchasing a Subaru Impreza wagon. All wheel drive, roof rails, good size trunk, stick shift, 30 mpg (hwy)... the list goes on.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Subies rock the house. I have a 4 door vw golf, which isnt too bad to drive and has alot of room, but a legacy wagon is like a snowmobile in bad weather and they are super reliable. My next car will be a suby for sure.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
My wife has a '99 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon and it rocks!! Thule on the roof and we're all set! It gets around 23/27 as far as milage goes and fits more stuff than my Jeep Cherokee. We can also easily sleep in the back with the seats down. Granted, I'm only 5'9" but we can't do that in my Jeep.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I just bought a Chevy Equinox and I :love: it. Seats fold flat so you can sleep inside, can store TONS of gear too. I also bought the roof racks (Thule) and a SportWorks Freeride/DH hitch mounted rack so I can carry my XC bikes and DH/Freeride Bikes easily. Gets 21-23 mpg everywhere and is very comfy to drive. Also, costs less $ than the Subie, can tow 3500lbs without a problem and is a little more roomy.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Another vote for Da' Subaru! They got clearance too, which is something you may be spoiled about ... you with your big 4x4. :eviltongu

Do your research though. There was one year that was bad, I just can't remember what year it was. :( [old roomate bought that year, had to do some major repair] Maybe someone on here knows more.