Quantcast

Recommended Air Pressure

PKock

Chimp
May 5, 2005
Alliston, Ontario
Hey guys. Just a newbie here with a quick question. I was wondering what the optimal air pressure is for my tires. I'm just riding pretty standard trails nothing too big and crazy quite yet. And if it matters i'm riding an '04 Jamis Dakar. Thanks for your help.
Pkock

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I believe that bike has a 2.0 Hutchinson. With a normal XC tire and tubes I start with about 45 psi.

The more pressure you run, the more resistance to pinch flats and rim damage. It also gives less rolling resistance. Lower pressure gives better grip (up to a point).

Trail conditions and rider style have a lot to do with pressure. Heavier riders need higher pressure to protect against flats and rougher trails need more protection as well. Experiment and see what you like and what works.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Actually too much pressure increases rolling resistance because rather than absorb trail irregularities the bike and rider has to rise up and over every little bump. PSI depends on your weight, trail surface, tire size, suspension set up, and personal preference and ride style.

For me a 2.0 Python at 45 would be way too hard. I weigh 140 and I would use around 30 front and 35 rear. For tubeless 5psi lower. If it's a particularly rocky race maybe 5 psi higher.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I go about 190lbs with gear. I run 2.25 - 2.35 tires and run 25-30psi depending on conditions. I run standards rims with tubes.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
jacksonpt said:
I go about 190lbs with gear. I run 2.25 - 2.35 tires and run 25-30psi depending on conditions. I run standards rims with tubes.
I am around 185 with gear - I have 2.1 on back, 2.35 on front. I run 35psi at a minimum, but all the trails I ride have sharp rocks which will invariably result in a pinch flat at lower pressures. :mad:

Huph

Chimp
May 15, 2005
Out on the trail
I adjust the pressures for the trail and type of riding I am doing - faster / rockier rides I'll have around 45 sometimes 50 psi

Muddier or slower rides around 32 tp 35 psi

This as been based an a number of years trial and error.

Pinch flatting ==> more air

Skittery / slippy handling ==> less air.