Quantcast

recommended bar width for DH and freeride

m3nace

Chimp
Apr 27, 2004
Could you plase guys tell me what is the recommended bar width for DH and FR ?

I'm using a RaceFace Air Alloy bar and i think it is 720mm , isn't it too wide ?
Most of the ppl here in hungary rides with 680mm , what do you think.
Thanks in advance.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I've always used 28" wide bars (710mm). I always liked it because I felt more stable and could handle rougher riding conditions. It depends on how big you are or how wide your shoulders are. I have wider shoulders so I use slightly wider bars.

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
Ya it depends on shoulder width and what feels comfortable for you. I used to be into big bars but since cutting my down a bit, i've loved how they feel. try running you grips in further than usual and see if you like the feel.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I am a really wide shouldered guy. I prefer mid width I guess, for my size. 28" is just to far out for me, I dropped it to 27 which seems perfect.

Its a preference...there is no perfect answer.

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
27" feels perfect for me, i can handle 26" and its a benefit sometimes when the trails are narrow but i couldnt go any lower without it being horribly uncomfortable, 28 is a bit too wide feels like your steering a boat or something.

so i'd say 27" is ideal, but its really a personal thing, have a feel around then come up with your own desicion.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I've kept my bars uncut. I got an Easton EA70 when I migrated the build on my Chameleon from XC/Trail to Freeride. I liked the wider bar because it made me feel like Bender at the time. I also liked the head angle slacked out and the seat lower than it should be for pedaling, again because it made the bike feel different, like it was xtreem. I've kind of gotten used to the wide handlebars, but before I buy another pair I may trim these down a bit to see how I like them.

m3nace

Chimp
Apr 27, 2004
Thanks for the answers.
I might try the 27" option, i feel my bar a bit too wide..