Quantcast

Recommended Ride for Kids

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Hey Brandon,

We did the section of the Virginia Creeper Trail from Whitetop to Damascus, all gradual downhill. Ryane pulled Charisma in a rented buggy (ghetto rigged w/ my own personal zip ties). I followed our 5 yr old Cassidy on her 16 inch Barbie bike. I am thoroughly impressed that my 5 year old banged out 17 miles on shallow grade railroad!!! Can you imagine how long of a ride that would be for an adult who's only pedaled around the house or the local park. And she did it without training wheels.

Funny part was when she slid her front wheel off a bank and the wife dodged her, but the wheel of the buggy smashed into her temple! Blue pump knot, a few big hugs on daddy's shoulder, a park ranger appearing out of nowhere to check on her later she was up again.

I was doing skids and S turns behind her, so she tried it and ate dirt. She learned to stand up on the pedals to coast, followed by slamming on her coaster brake right into the bushes. :D

All around, I gotta recommend it to any family if you want to get your kid biking. 2 1/2-3 hours of butter smooth trail shaded in forests and along a river bank with tons of convenient rest stops along the way. A whopping $11.00 for the shuttle if you have a group. Great little town and overall a smooth vibe.

Notice that I rode DH bike. My shoulders were so sore from doing short little manuals endlessly. Even saw a guy on an Azonic DS-1 decked out with an old Rock Shox Boxxer, beautiful red Race Face Cranks, neon orange Magura Tomac hydro rim brakes, etc pulling a buggy.

FYI, our group took us to an AWESOME BBQ joint between Bristol and Johnson City that was maybe the best pork BBQ sandwich I've ever had!
http://www.yelp.com/biz/ridgewood-barbecue-bluff-city

Oh...and watch out for the senior citizens. For some reason, they attack this thing with a vengeance! ;)

steve owens

Chimp
May 22, 2008
Hendersonville,N.C.
I might have to plan a ride as well. My wife doesn't really get off road riding, and I would really like to spend on the bike with her. My 8 year old would get a real kick out of it as well. Very nice write up. That is definitely some big miles for a 5 year old.:thumb:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Every lady there was laughing the whole time. It's like a magic carpet ride. It's not gravel. I pictured this doubletrack, stripped down railroad bed exposed on the mountain side. But it actually winds through the woods and at it's best is the width of a gated forest service road. There's a place about halfway down that the gravel splits and the river is to your left. They've built these little 4-6 person decks over the rivers spread out for a long way apart to stop and eat lunch at. The rental fleet of bikes at Adventure Damascus are perfect for women who don't ride. A short travel fork on the front and pretty much brand new.

It was a 2 hour drive from Asheville..all interstate up I-81 on the other side of Bristol.

Plus, they talk about a place called Iron Mountain when I asked them where to shuttle.