Quantcast

Recon v. Velvet???

tonka

Chimp
May 3, 2008
gilroyy
Looking for a new 80mm fork for strictly street riding. I don't wanna spend no more than 4 bills, so i was debating between the 351 recon and a x fusion velvet R. Any feedback from either fork???

thanks.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Can't say about the Recon but I do have a Velvet R lowered to 60mm on my Dobermann Molosse 24 and I have no complaints about it. You can set it really stiff for street. It is very easy to lower, much less work then a fox float. On a 26" bike 80mm should be fine. You can buy it in 80, 100 or 130mm the only difference is the spacers inside. You can easily lower if you can't find the travel you want.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Well the Recon 351 only goes down to 85mm stock. I am not sure if you can lower that or not.

That said I have a Recon 351 on my USB Molly. Given the head angle on the frame, I run the fork at 100mm and I think it is purely awesome. Just installed an x-firm spring and the fork feels perfect. I run an Argyle 318 on my 26" and both forks feel very similar to me as far is stiffness.

I needed a 3/8" fork to use on the Molly given I have a BMX hub. I was looking at the exact same 2 forks. Aesthetically I don't like the bridge on the Velvet. I think it looks horrid. Given that my other 3 bikes have RS forks and I am overly familiar with the MoCo system and RS internals, I chose the Recon.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Dirtbag do you know if the recon u-turn assembly will fit in a pike?

Tonka the velvet is also lighter then the recon and you don't have to worry about spending $35 each time to play with sprig rates. Just add or subtract air. Plus it has been proven to take a serious beating.

Last edited: