Quantcast

Reconnecting SRAM Stealth-a-Majig thingy

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
If I want to swap a SRAM brake set from one frame to another, can I simply unthread the hose from the lever, route the brake through the frame and re-install, or is it mandatory to cut the hose a bit and use a new set of barb and olive.

Basically: I know they can not be re-used, but can they be reconnected?

Thanks!

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I've reused barbs and olives with no trouble, but I've never been able to fit the compression nut through the frame ports for internal routing.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
If it's the threaded on SRAM olive you could definitely try to re-use. Unthread the olive and remove the nut, thread through the new frame and then put them back on.

Brakes from retail or OEM installs don't have the threaded olive in my recent experience, so it would likely depend on if you shortened the hose and installed that version yourself.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
If it's the threaded on SRAM olive you could definitely try to re-use. Unthread the olive and remove the nut, thread through the new frame and then put them back on.

Brakes from retail or OEM installs don't have the threaded olive in my recent experience, so it would likely depend on if you shortened the hose and installed that version yourself.
Thanks! Yes, this particular set was OEM.

It's not a problem for me to cut a little bit of hose and use new hardware, but I'd prefer avoiding this if it is not necessary.

Another question from an internal-routing n00b: When you thread the hose through the frame, do you plug the open end hose to avoid having DOT leaking in the frame and/or crap getting inside the brake line. I guess the fluid doesn't run out much by itself...but I'm open to any recommendations. I'd be tempted to press-fit a 4mm derailleurs cable housing endcap to isolate the open end from whatever is inside the frame. Am I overthinking this?

Thanks!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
As @amishmatt pointed out, you likely won't be able to get the nut through the frame, so OEM you'll likely need to cut the olive.

I can't recall what I've done before, maybe some electrical tape around the end?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
OK, thanks!

Since the SRAM olive is threaded, I was thinking of unthreading it to remove the compression nut, route the hose, then reconnect everything.

We'll se how it goes. Thanks again!