Quantcast

Recycling tubes?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Well, back in Cali and the thorns have hit me again. Got the girl a new bike today. Went for a shakedown cruise around the neighborhood with her and the boy. Figured I would ride the full squish since it has seen no action of any sort since we moved. They spun all around, grinning and having fun...we hit a little service road dirt trail near the house, and I find a goat head thorn out of now here and flat. Not 10 minutes into it. Now I have flatted on every bike I own, save the roadie, since returning Stateside. Thank you California. Seriously, does someone in state government own stock in an inner tube company? Stans No Tubes here I come.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Stan's sealant is your friend. Haven't had a flat due to puncture in 2 years, just 1 from breaking a valve stem somehow. Every ride there's 4-5 fresh wet spots where some Stan's leaked out while sealing a hole, and about a million thorns poking into the inside when i change tires.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Thirded. Anyone who hasn't gone tubeless yet is 'tarded.
I'm well on my way to being a convert on my trail bike, but there's no way in hell I'll go tubeless on my DH bike again. At least until other systems like the Schwalbe ProCore thing come on line. Hitting sharp rocks at high speeds leads to more flats tubeless than with tubes, and when you flat, the tire is often unusable tubeless anyway. Plus there's the hassle/mess of fixing the damn thing. Pass.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Before going tubeless, I did my own Slime tubes. Sure, putting a hole in a perfectly good, new tube sounds counter productive, however, they worked fine with the goat heads I'd pick up on rides. Then, when I discovered how to go ghetto tubeless, well, why bother Sliming any more??

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Tubeless with Stan's sealant. It is the proven method. I tried Slime in my road tubeless. All it was, was messy and it did not seal the pin hole from a small wire.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I think each tube is a testament of your cycling history. Since it is a historical reflection of your bike and all the rides you have been on. I believe they should be sent to the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame and be displayed in your own display until you die.

Mountain Bike Hall of Fame
1966 Sir Francis Drake Blvd.
Fairfax, CA 94930

Last edited: