Quantcast

Red Bull Photo Challenge Usa 2006!!

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005

Red Bull Photo Challenge Usa 2006
the idea:
We are looking for cutting-edge sports photography and about the photographers who create it.

Some of the world’s best free sports photographers started with the "Red Bull Photo Challenge": Christian Pondella, Flo Hagena, Alex Schelbert, Dean Treml, Geoff Waugh… and have continued to be important members of the Red Bull Photofiles team.

Now, young professional photographers are again invited to participate by sending in their portfolios. Four participants will be selected for the shooting and will afterwards be evaluated based on their overall performance at the Red Bull Photo Challenge. Consideration for future Red Bull work will depend on each photographer's performance during the shooting.

the sports:
The categories range from Freestyle Skiing, Snowboarding, FMX, Skateboarding, Rock Climbing, Running, etc. as the Red Bull Photo Challenge will cover both winter and summer seasons. To be confirmed depending on availability of athletes.

the location:
The landscape of Mammoth Lakes, California (USA) offers great diversity from snow to deserts and, allows the team to shoot winter and summer sports at the same time. The Mammoth Mountain, Owens River Gorge, Buttermilks, Eureka Valley and other areas are destined to be the inspiration for the photographers to trigger their purest creativity.

the timing:
The Red Bull Photo Challenge will take place in Mammoth Lakes in April 2006.
Creative and focused professionals are invited to participate. The whole process of the Red Bull Photo Challenge is divided into three stages:

1st step: submit your portfolio. Deliver a creative portfolio; full of style and action.
>> APPLY NOW! e-mail to: markus.berger@redbull-photofiles.com

2nd step: shoot four athletes in four different sports activities at Mammoth Lakes, California
within a given time frame and after a detailed briefing, all expenses covered.

3rd step: convince the jury with your creative work and your organizational skills.
The prize: becoming an official Red Bull Photofiles photographer and getting
assigned for event and athlete shootings.

procedure:
In the first round portfolios should be sent to the Red Bull Photofiles office either via e-mail to markus.berger@redbull-photofiles.com or with mail to the following address:

Red Bull Photofiles
Felderstrasse 12
5330 Fuschl am See
Austria

Entry deadline is February 15, 2006. The applicants need to be professional photographers living in the US or in Canada.

The judges (Christian Pondella, US Head Photographer / Ulrich Grill, International Head Photographer / Markus Berger, Manager Photographers Service/Josh Kendrick, Red Bull USA Communications) will select four photographers by assessing all the portfolios brought in. Each of the four chosen photographers get to shoot with four athletes for half a day, ensuring plenty of time to do action, lifestyle and portraits.

After all the photos of the Red Bull Photo Challenge have been evaluated a final decision upon the successors will be made.

date:
application of photographers Jan. 3, 2006 - Feb. 15, 2006

selection of the best portfolios by the jury Feb. 16, 2006 - Feb. 28, 2006

invitation of four photographers to the event - Mar. 10, 2006

briefing & photoshooting at Mammoth Lakes Apr. 3, 2006 - Apr. 7, 2006

evaluation & decision on which participant becomes a Red Bull Photofiles photographer
Apr. 8, 2006 - Apr. 30, 2006

general conditions:
The four participating photographers need to sign a copyright disclaimer before the event. The photographers can use the images for their purposes and they will be paid for all expenses during the shooting (including travel budget of USD 1,200 max., + hotel, + food).

contact person:
For more details on the event please contact Markus Berger.
Markus Berger (Red Bull Photofiles)
phone: +4362268848-15
e-mail: markus.berger@redbull-photofiles.com

though all you guys who take so many photos, maybe one of you would put something into this

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
this would be really cool to sign up for, but seeing as how i lack decent equipment i don't think i'd get too far. that and my photo style may be too artsy for the likes of red bull.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
such an awesome competition on red bull's part, im waiting till i get some pics back from the red bull 3 ride event i am shooting in early feb then im going to submit the portfolio...transcend i think you might be a lock...maybe we will be able to chill @ mammoth

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
the Inbred said:
why do applicants need to be professional photogs?
whoa, i just noticed that. yeah i think that whole thing is kind of dumb. yes, professional photogs do take really good pictures but there are also many people who are not professionals who can take high quality pics.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
gnurider1080 said:
whoa, i just noticed that. yeah i think that whole thing is kind of dumb. yes, professional photogs do take really good pictures but there are also many people who are not professionals who can take high quality pics.
Very true, that is why "professional" is a very subjective word in the description. I think its open to anyone that can take a good shot.