Quantcast

Red Bull Rampage

Oct 24, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
I for one am still very sad about the fact that there is no more Red Bull Rampage. This was thee contest of the year that everyone looked forward to. Ya of course, now it is Crankworx and it is a great contest as well, but to me, I still just am dying to see Red Bull pull through and pull a surprise Rampage again and bring it back from it's innocent death.

So I guess these are my questions; Will there ever be anything like Rampage again ever? Why or why not? When are we all going to combine forces somehow and organize an event that has the potential of a Rampage, once again with respect to Crankworx and Monster Park.

I am stoked on the new school slopestyle contests but lets add some more flair and get a big mountain contest which is a no-invite, you-must-qualify to compete contest, so we can progress our sport and let the up-and-coming kids shine! Who's with me?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Rampage was cool because it was an easy way for racers to make some $$$. lol sad but true! Freeriding will just kinda branch off from racing like BMX freestyle has branched off from BMX racing. I could see Freeriding in the Xgames, but not DH racing, nor 4x. Freeriding will have more success with many smaller, local events, with a few random big events. I gaurantee this will happen, it happened with skiing, skating, BMX, and many other "sports".

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
Oct 24, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
the reason why the rampage was canceled was because it did not promote progression at all. it was only about who can throw themselves off of the biggest, dumbest drop that they can find. the rampage had about as much style as steve urkel.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
Well I for one will miss it. It has been a boom to the freeride crowd and that includes most of us monkeys here. We witnessed some of the NUTTIEST SHI* ever done on a bike. No one died. Unlike other limit pushing sports this one has an audience now. Just look at the numbers at Crankworks this year...awesome turnout. Now it is televised and we in Canada have an audience that tunes in. I have no clue what's going on in the States. It saddens me that the ball was dropped on the biggest event in the freeride scene. It had major sponsors like RaceFace...RedBull???????

Oct 24, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
gnurider1080 said:
the reason why the rampage was canceled was because it did not promote progression at all. it was only about who can throw themselves off of the biggest, dumbest drop that they can find. the rampage had about as much style as steve urkel.
Anyone that says the Rampage didn't promote progression needs to think before they speak. You let me know of a contest before Rampage that was progressing mountain biking. The Rampage was a lot more than finding the biggest drop possible and hucking off it. It was about being smooth and finding innovative lines and landing your tricks.

Can you honestly say that Zinks 360 off the 30 ft. Hip drop wasn't progression? He was the only one there that had the balls to do it. He opened everones eyes up to adding style to big drops.

Rampage was all about Progression and dropping big drops. That's why it will always be a LEGEND.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
ActionProfiles said:
Anyone that says the Rampage didn't promote progression needs to think before they speak. You let me know of a contest before Rampage that was progressing mountain biking. The Rampage was a lot more than finding the biggest drop possible and hucking off it. It was about being smooth and finding innovative lines and landing your tricks.

Can you honestly say that Zinks 360 off the 30 ft. Hip drop wasn't progression? He was the only one there that had the balls to do it. He opened everones eyes up to adding style to big drops.

Rampage was all about Progression and dropping big drops. That's why it will always be a LEGEND.
oh youve got to be kidding me about that smooth comment. in all of the rampage vids that ive watched ive seen more headbangs than at a slayer concert. sure it was, i think, the original freeride competition but does that mean it really spawned a great amount of progression? i dont think it did. events like crankworx and monster park contain so much more progression than the rampage ever did. line choice in those competitions is so much better and there is so much more variation. the age of just hucking is over. im glad that the rampage is dead and buried.

Oct 24, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
gnurider1080 said:
oh youve got to be kidding me about that smooth comment. in all of the rampage vids that ive watched ive seen more headbangs than at a slayer concert. sure it was, i think, the original freeride competition but does that mean it really spawned a great amount of progression? i dont think it did. events like crankworx and monster park contain so much more progression than the rampage ever did. line choice in those competitions is so much better and there is so much more variation. the age of just hucking is over. im glad that the rampage is dead and buried.
Sure in the vids they show alot of crashes. But were you actually there? I was. And I got to see the riders from the very start. Strait, Gracia and Vanderham were some of the smoothest riders at Rampage, and yes being SMOOTH is very possible on a course like rampage.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
gnurider1080 said:
I guess you didn't see Strait of Gracia ride in the final year. Or Gee. He was about as smooth and stylish as anyone there. Atherton made the Super T drop look like a little 5 footer. The Rampage was full of style. I think you are just a bitter rider who never got the chance to go. Those of us who actually went to them know just how badass of an event the Rampage was.

The Zion freeride festival was no Rampage.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
The Toninator said:
you could always do the red bull road rage.
I actually wanted to watch "The Road Rage," but it's the same weekend as "The Gathering" in Bootleg Canyon. I think I would rather hit Bootleg...