Red Light Cameras

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dylan Dean, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Dylan Dean

Dylan Dean Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    well i guess i got caught by my first 'red light camera' never really knew how sensitive they were..

i was goin down this one street near my house & came upon an intersection... & did the typical "California Stop." For those who don't know.. it's where you start slowing down at a red light or a stop sign and don't really come to a complete stop.. it's more of a roll through.

anyway, i rounded the corner & saw the flash go off.. & was like WTF?!?! I turned around & looked back at the intersection to see if it was another car goin through.. but nope... no one there.. apparently i triggered it. wow.. I was kinda surprised me since i was on a road bike!

maybe it's not as funny as i think.. but i had a good chuckle the rest of the way home.. i'd be funnier if they somehow tracked me down & sent me a ticket! I also realized that i'm a worse "driver" on a bike than i am in a car... runnin red lights, not stopping at stop signs, speeding... but no tailgating so far!;)

Please register to disable this ad.

2. SPINTECK

SPINTECK Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    some day big brother will have a RFID chip in you and the ticket will find you based on the signal. Better run the stuff while you can!!

3. LordOpie

LordOpie MOTHER HEN

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    And yes, your roadie won't trip the light signal :rant:

ANd yeah, funny;

4. HAB

HAB Chelsea from Seattle

Rep/Likes:
    78 / 768
    If you lay the bike down on the sensor they work.

That's awesome.

5. Dylan Dean

Dylan Dean Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    ha... i spend most of my time in the DH forum, i totally forgot i posted this! :D

all the metal i have in me now from all the surgeries.. i wouldn't be surprised if i already had something like that snuck inside me! haha

yah, those light signal sensors work from time to time for me... but you've also gotta consider that 1/2 of them out there SUCK... sometimes they won't trip with a truck over them! haha

6. HAB

HAB Chelsea from Seattle

Rep/Likes:
    78 / 768
    The ones in my area work. I've yet to find one I couldn't trip by laying the bike down.

7. splat

splat Nam I am

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 34
    Well Maybe Windows is Bearable ! Unix Rules !
    Actually if you are carrying a Cell phone , that Helps to trigger the light sensors

8. Quo Fan

Quo Fan don't make me kick your ass

Rep/Likes:
    38 / 36
    I heard that if you put a rare earth magnet on your bottom bracket that that will trigger the sensors.

9. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    421 / 2,643
    I thought this was going to be about photographing hookers.

10. johnbryanpeters

Rep/Likes:
    229 / 2,296
    Funny... I was headed to a meeting last night, came to a stop sign, full stop, waited an extra couple seconds for an opposing car to turn into the road - realized after it proceeded that it was a Vermont State Police car. Building good habits pays off...

11. cannondalejunky

cannondalejunky ease dropper

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1

12. r464

r464 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    A backpack full of "D" batteries will set off all sorts of things...

13. HAB

HAB Chelsea from Seattle

Rep/Likes:
    78 / 768
    Heh. Do you know how they work well enough to explain that? Not that it's particularly relevant to me, since I don't have a cell phone.

14. 1453

1453 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    http://www.highwayrobbery.net/redlig...in.htm#Action5

california monkeys, call your legislators NOW or we will have speed cameras and stop sign cameras EVERYWHERE. I know how the typical mountain biker drives so it's of interest to everyone, even if you don't live in California, because if they pull it off here it's coming your way next.

15. splat

splat Nam I am

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 34
    Well Maybe Windows is Bearable ! Unix Rules !

Simple really ( and quo_fan with the magnet will work on the same principle ) the dectection circuit works by running a current through a loop of wire ( usually in the shape of a Square or octogon) under the pavement lane. the sensor is tripped when something alters the magnetic signature , ( as in a case of a large metal object ) and a Cell phone ( provided it is turned on ) has a electromagnetic ( from its transmitter ) signature that will disrupt the one for the traffic light and trip the sensor .