Quantcast

Red Light Cameras

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
well i guess i got caught by my first 'red light camera' never really knew how sensitive they were..

i was goin down this one street near my house & came upon an intersection... & did the typical "California Stop." For those who don't know.. it's where you start slowing down at a red light or a stop sign and don't really come to a complete stop.. it's more of a roll through.

anyway, i rounded the corner & saw the flash go off.. & was like WTF?!?! I turned around & looked back at the intersection to see if it was another car goin through.. but nope... no one there.. apparently i triggered it. wow.. I was kinda surprised me since i was on a road bike!

maybe it's not as funny as i think.. but i had a good chuckle the rest of the way home.. i'd be funnier if they somehow tracked me down & sent me a ticket! I also realized that i'm a worse "driver" on a bike than i am in a car... runnin red lights, not stopping at stop signs, speeding... but no tailgating so far!;)

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
some day big brother will have a RFID chip in you and the ticket will find you based on the signal. Better run the stuff while you can!!

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
ha... i spend most of my time in the DH forum, i totally forgot i posted this! :D

some day big brother will have a RFID chip in you and the ticket will find you based on the signal. Better run the stuff while you can!!
all the metal i have in me now from all the surgeries.. i wouldn't be surprised if i already had something like that snuck inside me! haha

yah, those light signal sensors work from time to time for me... but you've also gotta consider that 1/2 of them out there SUCK... sometimes they won't trip with a truck over them! haha

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The ones in my area work. I've yet to find one I couldn't trip by laying the bike down.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Actually if you are carrying a Cell phone , that Helps to trigger the light sensors
Heh. Do you know how they work well enough to explain that? Not that it's particularly relevant to me, since I don't have a cell phone.

splat

Nam I am
Heh. Do you know how they work well enough to explain that? Not that it's particularly relevant to me, since I don't have a cell phone.

Simple really ( and quo_fan with the magnet will work on the same principle ) the dectection circuit works by running a current through a loop of wire ( usually in the shape of a Square or octogon) under the pavement lane. the sensor is tripped when something alters the magnetic signature , ( as in a case of a large metal object ) and a Cell phone ( provided it is turned on ) has a electromagnetic ( from its transmitter ) signature that will disrupt the one for the traffic light and trip the sensor .