Quantcast

Red Sparowes last night

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
saw Red Sparowes last night (along w/ Daughters, but that's another story...). gotta say i liked the record better than the live show. got ponderous at times, and it really sounded to me like some of the guitars were out of tune. that may have been due to the earplugs jammed as far in as they could go...the boys brought stacks of marshall amps w/ 'em and weren't afraid of the volume knob.

anyway, if you are not familiar w/ these guys, it's an amalgam of members of bands like Isis, Neurosis (anyone remember that H8R dude?), VSS and someone else...big sweeping guitar monolithic pieces w/ no vocals. mogwai and mono are much better at this game i feel, and esp so in a live setting, based on my experiences. but, it wasn't a total letdown and the show had its moments.

it was also nice to get a photo pass; no entry fee and unobstructed access to the side of the stage.

more photos here:
http://narlus.zenfolio.com/p496414376/

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
i'm digging the photos. good job.

edit: i see the show was at the middle east. for some reason almost every show i've been to there has been so loud it's made my ears bleed.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yeah, it's got really low ceilings which doesn't help. the quality of the PA is a bit lacking too...i've been in Avalon where the sound level is easily as loud but sounds a lot better.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
mtnbrider said:
When you get pics of bands, how do you not get lens flare?
i use a lens hood which definitely helps. it's nice to have just as a protective element as well. just be cognizant of where the spots are in relation to yr lens, just as you would shooting outdoors.

McGRP01, that was pretty much my fave of the RS bunch too. thanks!

this was the best one i got from Daughters (sorry about the size, but a smaller image isn't as forceful, i think):