Quantcast

Red Wine Beef Stew (Beef Bourginon)

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Not for the faint of heart! Or for making on the hottest day of the year (yes, I'm a big goof).:imstupid:

A few months ago I bought the book "Sauces : Classical and Contemporary Sauce Making" by James Peterson. The book is a fantastic teacher - though many of the recipes are still far over my head, making this recipe from the book was the most challenging thing I've attempted (and the name is so darned simple!).

So - here's the recipe:
Ingredients:
Beef Shank - 4 pounds, or 1.8 kilos sans bone
Fatback - 8oz
Garlic Cloves, peeled and chopped - 2
Cooking Brandy (or Cognac for you fancy types) several tablespoons
Carrots - chopped - 2 medium
Onions, Chopped - 2 medium
Red Wine - 1 - 750ml bottle
Bouquet Garni - 1
EVOO - 3 oz
Garlic Cloves, crushed - 2
Butter - 3 tablespoons
Flour - 4 tablespoons
Brown meat stock - 3 cups

How to make it:
6:00am - slice your fatback into thin strips and set to marinate in your chopped garlic and brandy (or cognac). Let it marinate at least 3 hours. - see pic below.

6:30am - cut your beef into 3-oz cubes, set aside.

9:30am - Insert one strip of fatback into each beef cube using a larding needle or a paring knife (I found this to be challenging at first, but it became easier over time)

10:00am - In a large bowl, set your beef cubes to marinate with the onions, carrots, leftover marinade from the fatback (garlic and brandy), red wine, and bouquet garni - see pic below.
Marinate for several hours.

2:00pm - Carefully drain your marinade in a colander over a bowl. Reserve the marinade liquid. Separate your meat from the veggies and bouquet garni. Separate the bouquet garni from the veggies and set in your marinade liquid for now. Thoroughly dry the meat.

2:15pm - Heat the EVOO in a straight-sided saute pan (or large pot) and brown the meat in it. I did this lightly - almost searing the outsides, but trying not to cook the insides too much.

2:20pm - Transfer the meat to a bowl, and discard the burnt oil. Sweat the chopped vegetables and crushed garlic in fresh butter in the saute pan (5 minutes). Sprinkle the vegetables with flour (optional) and cook gently for 5 minutes more.

2:30pm - Add the marinade liquid, meat stock, and bouquet garni to the sweated vegetables and bring the mixture to a simmer while scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.

2:45pm - Transfer the contents of the saute pan to a 4-quart pot (I used my large stone stewing pot). Add the meat (stir slightly so the meat is covered). Cover and cook at 300 degrees F in the oven for 2-3 hours, until the meat cubes are easily pierced with a fork.

5:30pm - Using a large straining ladle, ladle your meat and veggies into a large bowl. Carefully pour your strained liquid into a large saucepan. On med-low heat, bring it to a slow simmer and skim off any froth or fat that floats to the surface.

Next, pick your meat out of the veggies carefully, and set aside on a plate. Then, puree your veggies and bouquet garni (and some of the fat back if you have slices floating around). Add the pureed veggie mixture to your simmering liquid. Stir it in thoroughly.

Add your meat back into the pot, and let it sit on med-low heat (not quite a full simmer) for a bit until everything is reheated (20 minutes or so).

This is a great time to get potatoes started for a side of mashed potatoes!

Serve with mashed potatoes (or if you're really into a laborious meal, make steamed dumplings/bread such as knedlicky to serve with the meal).

I'm terribly sorry for the lack of pictures (always excuses). My batteries died shortly after I took pictures of the marinade and I didn't get around to replacing them until well after dinner was served and eaten.

However, after seeing how rapidly the dinner was gobbled up, I would say that this portion makes enough for 4-5 good sized servings. I had a modest portion, and the two guys each had a large portion, and we have enough for one more good sized serving for a lucky person.

Enjoy!!

Jen

Attachments

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sounds awesome, if not exactly a summery dish. I agree with Narlus, I'll never understand why people will spend a day or two working on a dish like this yet use a crappy bottle of vino. Also, I find that taking your time and properly browning the meat is critical to getting a lot of deep flavor and color in the stew.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
there's a Cooks Illustrated recipe my wife did a while ago which was similar (though i don't think there was any fat threading going on). OG makes a good point re: browning of the meat, and this is good advice for osso buco, short ribs, pot roast, etc - pretty much all other braised meat dishes.

makes the deglazing all the more worthwhile.

edit - i found the CI recipe, and i stand corrected:

"6 ounces salt pork , trimmed of rind (see Step 1 below), rind reserved, and salt pork cut into 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch by 1-inch pieces"

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I am not interested in paying for that article, so can you give us a summary? Personally, I wouldn't cook with anything I wouldn't drink, and lately that leaves few bottles under $10.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I am not interested in paying for that article, so can you give us a summary? Personally, I wouldn't cook with anything I wouldn't drink, and lately that leaves few bottles under $10.
$15 is about my limit for table wine, and I have to say it's pretty easy to find good wine between $10-15. Especially if the store has any sort of decent selection of Spanish, Chilean, and Aussie vino.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Fixed the link above, so it's free.

Summary:
"Over all, wines that I would have poured down the drain rather than sip from a glass were improved by the cooking process, revealing qualities that were neutral at worst and delightful at best. On the other hand, wines of complexity and finesse were flattened by cooking — or, worse, concentrated by it, taking on big, cartoonish qualities that made them less than appetizing."

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not citing the NYT article as good proof for my view (that cooking with expensive wine is an exercise in diminishing returns.) The article doesn't live up to my scientific standards and it probably won't live up to yours. On the other hand, it's not really any worse than most cooking articles.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Sounds tasty!!! And, I am with OGRipper & Narlus...get a good brown on the meat and it makes a huge difference in the finished product!

Have you tried coq au vin (chicken in wine stew)? Cooks Illustrated had a great recipe not too long ago that I can put up if you're interested...it was so good!!!

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Re: Wines - What I've found works best, because I hate pouring out an entire bottle of red wine I spent a fortune on for that purpose, So - since I'm a fan of wine, I typically find a bottle here or there that I dislike. I simply pour the icky wine back in the bottle, and store it in the fridge (so it doesn't go bad on me quickly, now that I've opened it) and that bottle becomes one of my 'cooking' wines.

I don't worry so much about the 'type' - but perhaps that's why I'm still a sub-par cook...who knows - so far those who eat my foods love them :)

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
TreeSaw - haven't tried Coq au vin - though it's definitely on the menu to try one of these days. :) I've heard it's fabulous! Though, where to find a tough old rooster to bag and pluck...

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
You can't get a decent bottle of real Burgundy for $20. :p
There are very few that I have found. Joseph Drouhin's cheap bottling called 'Le Floret' I believe, is pretty decent. I have a few that were $20-25 that were really good....I can't remember their names (one was a Savigny -les-Beaune & the other a Chorey-les-Beaune) but they were both imported by Berkley Imports & most of their offerings I have tried have been homeruns.

Here is another that I got for about $20 that rocked, another Berkley Imports wine.

JB-that sounds so damn good & cheers to you for such an authentic recipe.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
There are very few that I have found. Joseph Drouhin's cheap bottling called 'Le Floret' I believe, is pretty decent. I have a few that were $20-25 that were really good....I can't remember their names (one was a Savigny -les-Beaune & the other a Chorey-les-Beaune) but they were both imported by Berkley Imports & most of their offerings I have tried have been homeruns.

Here is another that I got for about $20 that rocked, another Berkley Imports wine.
:thumb: It's good to know it can be found.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
BTW - I've been meaning to ask - do any of you know where in the heck to buy fatback in the PNW? The chunk I used for my soup was a gift from steve's mom so I could make halusky (a tasty slovak version of Mac & cheese - instead it's feta and potatoes...), and she gets her stock of fatback brought in from toronto by friends.

I did a ton research trying to find it, and the closest I got was an organic pig farmer in North Carolina who said she'd butcher the pig and smoke it anyway I wanted and ship it to me, just so long as I bought 50lbs!!! ACK - hate to think what the border patrol would think of that kind of delivery to a tiny condo in vancouver bc.

There's a tiny Ukranian grocery in Kent, WA that has salted fatback, but that won't work with my recipes...

Anybody have a better european or organic/custom cuts kind of meat store around?