Quantcast

Redbull Rampage 2023

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The riding and scenery are fantastic, but I can't endure 3.5 hours of bullshit filling commentary in a 4 hours event. It feels like watching the last 3 minutes of a Superbowl game for 4 hours. I just can't.

I watched the whole event on FFW and it did not take long before I simply did not care about the points at all. I love watching the runs though.

I'll stick to the best runs compilation next year.
The Redbull TV Web browser version is rad because they bookmark the riders runs and also the actual start/when they drop in, so you can just click through on the replay and get the runs and skip the chat. 4 hours of Rampage takes about 40 minutes of watching actual riding and some replays.

If you're worried about spoilers its no good though cos the bookmarks are labelled with the riders name and score

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Not a fan of judged sport for this reason. No disrespect but Bienve was robbed just like Mcgarry. When the video shows the judges trailer throwing their arms up cheering for certain guys we are supposed to believe the judging is fair? Brendan should have podiumed, when Van steenbergen took the lead with his caveman run I almost turned it off. Seems like a boys club at Rampage, they are all buddies and cliques. Just a conflict of interest waiting to happen. Its a shame, they should have a text in vote for the people champions. Garuntee Bienve and Brendan both place higher, Talus Turks run should have been higher than 5th as well.
Whats with he 2 riders riding down together at the end? If you aren't first place how are you gonna take a victory lap like you're shaun white?
Donno how well that argument holds up in the face of Zinks past 10 years of rampages in which he's consistently tricked the heaviest consequence move on the mountain and not won a single time for it. Hell in his interview afterwards he spent a pretty considerable time shitting on the judging.

Pretty sure they threw their hands up because that was an absolutely insane thing to do, and he lived and did it clean. Every single part of managing that, from the run in, to speed control, to lining up and spotting the absolutely tiny landing given how bonkers big that was, to doing it off axis, correct spin speed, everything! It was bananas!

That flip was a completely different thing than what you've seen before. I think you're jaded with a "seen one back flip seen em all" mentality.

I was throwing my hands up in the air for that one too, because holy fucking shit.

If the fact that the judges recognized the difficulty of that and scored it more highly than you would have, that's okay too. Maybe you can and have ridden that stuff (doubtful what with that being the biggest backflip drop ever done) and you can shred Faircloughs too, and make an apples to apples comparison and still think Faircloughs was better. But more likely, you can't, the judges are closer to being able to than you are, are actually present at the event and have a better idea of whats what than you do, and at the end of the day who gives a shit because that was an absolutely excellent Rampage without any major injuries and with a ton of amazing riding and the judging can and should always have a backseat to the riders runs.

But I would have like to see Fairclough podium, I generally want to see more runs like his and less runs like Storch and TVS and I'd love to see judging that steers riders in that direction.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
have to rewatch...but to my eye it seemed that the top 3 appeared to ride much more directly and fast that Bren's line...and he just fist pumped like 3 jumps towards the bottom too. That line did have lots of good moves and overall seemed a bit more raw than the others, but was a bit more meandery, ymmv. That being said, overall this was head and shoulders above most RBR's, very entertaining, a lot of riders just super stoked on their personal accomplishments which some very rad stuff taking place and thankfully relatively few injuries. Both Zink and Straight used as much of the landing as they built, I actually thought that yank on the backy Zink pulled was the end of his life, it looked so wrong from the side shot they had, lucky to not drift further right and miss the tranny.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
But I would have like to see Fairclough podium, I generally want to see more runs like his and less runs like Storch and TVS and I'd love to see judging that steers riders in that direction.
Yeah not saying Zinks run wasn't bonkers. I just think the was the results from 2-8th that seemed a bit out of whack. But also, I'm judging that from the RB coverage. Guys there have a better idea of whats going on so whatever, I wish all the riders got a pay check of some size for the spectacle they provide and the risks they take.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yeah not saying Zinks run wasn't bonkers. I just think the was the results from 2-8th that seemed a bit out of whack. But also, I'm judging that from the RB coverage. Guys there have a better idea of whats going on so whatever, I wish all the riders got a pay check of some size for the spectacle they provide and the risks they take.
Has it ever been confirmed that the riders don't receive compensation of some sort for participating?

Even if not, they must get a bonus or something for getting in and completing some runs by their sponsors. If not, well, why do it for free? Unless they truly do love riding that stuff in a heated contest type arena.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
why do it for free?
Exposure, worldwide fame, increased online subscribers/followers and all the things (opertunities) that come with that.
Unless they truly do love riding that stuff in a heated contest type arena.
I can't imagine you'd go if you didn't. and probably a big part of the reason some riders capable of doing very well don't do it anymore.

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yup

I've done backflips on bikes. That was not something many people if any have done. No one gets how much of a sender that truly was.....even for him.
This. I was pissed about Zink winning immediately after the event but after sitting with it for some time it seems to make sense to me. Not to say there isn't wiggle room in the top 4 for a re-shuffle a bit but it was a great RBR. I too have flipped my MTB a few times but only into foam, seeing that pic below your post makes my head explode.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Zink shoulda won as much as anyone else, but does it justify the score he got? Big jump (no pun intended) between his 95 and second place's, 89 -- not to mention canyon front flip guy's 8th place 79.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
toodles for Rampage judge!
I'd be too easily bribed with beer and Mexican food. I'd get drunk and announce the winner before the runs had even started so we could just enjoy the show. Actually, that sounds like it would be an improvement. toodles for Rampage judge!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
in an interview afterwards, Zink said he wanted to do a cancan backflip, but got pushed off axis, so it wasn't intentional.
Wow that's crazy! The dead pull coupled with the wind/pushed off axis and still managing to spot the landing and smoothly ride it out requires a level of awareness and control at such a crazy high speed, I can't even fathom it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Brendan has clearly lost sense of what's a good idea on a bike post Rampage.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Caught the podcast.
Was a bit hmmm when Zink described Rampage to non Mtb people as the biggest mtb event to win. More so than WC DH.
Wait you mean a guy who rides freeride and puts his time effort and risks his life for his chosen discipline thinks his discipline is the most prestigious? That's crazy!

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Caught the podcast.
Was a bit hmmm when Zink described Rampage to non Mtb people as the biggest mtb event to win. More so than WC DH.
To sponsors it probably is. Viewership for rampage is higher and to the layperson the image of a guy upside down on a bike 60ft up in the air is more recognisable as an accomplishment than somebody riding a berm 0.2s faster than the rest of the field.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
To sponsors it probably is. Viewership for rampage is higher and to the layperson the image of a guy upside down on a bike 60ft up in the air is more recognisable as an accomplishment than somebody riding a berm 0.2s faster than the rest of the field.
and, at least in the past, it would occasionally get rebroadcast on network tv as well...

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
For those interested, Darren Berrecloth was on the latest Moving the needle (#108) podcast discussing and justifying the judging of this year’s event with Andrew Neethling.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Fuckin eh man, major props for the answer to the question being given within the first minute of the video. None of that clickbait shit.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Donno how well that argument holds up in the face of Zinks past 10 years of rampages in which he's consistently tricked the heaviest consequence move on the mountain and not won a single time for it. Hell in his interview afterwards he spent a pretty considerable time shitting on the judging.

Pretty sure they threw their hands up because that was an absolutely insane thing to do, and he lived and did it clean. Every single part of managing that, from the run in, to speed control, to lining up and spotting the absolutely tiny landing given how bonkers big that was, to doing it off axis, correct spin speed, everything! It was bananas!

That flip was a completely different thing than what you've seen before. I think you're jaded with a "seen one back flip seen em all" mentality.

I was throwing my hands up in the air for that one too, because holy fucking shit.

If the fact that the judges recognized the difficulty of that and scored it more highly than you would have, that's okay too. Maybe you can and have ridden that stuff (doubtful what with that being the biggest backflip drop ever done) and you can shred Faircloughs too, and make an apples to apples comparison and still think Faircloughs was better. But more likely, you can't, the judges are closer to being able to than you are, are actually present at the event and have a better idea of whats what than you do, and at the end of the day who gives a shit because that was an absolutely excellent Rampage without any major injuries and with a ton of amazing riding and the judging can and should always have a backseat to the riders runs.

I'm glad you know exactly what is going through the judges minds as they are cheering.
I can't think of another sport in the world where a judging panel is cheering for athletes they are judging in real time. Can you?
Regardless of whose runs won and didn't win, that is some bush league bullshit that makes a joke of the judges and reflects badly on the sport.
One could make an argument for Zink winning, I have no problem with that but no way in hell van steenbergen should have placed higher for his caveman than the guy who frontflipped the canyon gap for the first time ever.