Quantcast

Reddish Knob

Paris

Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
The Commonwealth
Yo, am planning a trip next weekend to do some shuttling at Reddish Knob...anyway I know about two trails up there but apparently there is a third that leads down to the campgrounds a Hone Quarry.

Anybody know how or where to start this trail?

Just need some basic idea...

Thx

Trouble

Chimp
Sep 16, 2004
Funky Town
Red Diamond
Pond Knob
Big Hollow
Heartbreak
Timber Ridge
Lynn
Wolfe
Hearthstone
Buck Mountain
Death Star
High School Dropout
California (overgrown)
Short Hone Quarry
Sand Springs
Chestnut
North River Trail
Camp Todd

pick your poison.

Paris

Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
The Commonwealth
nice dude thanks--can u recommend a couple that are pure decents?

looking for high speed DH, yep that's about it...some drops/waterbars etc would be cool...

Shenandoah Bicycle is in Harrisonburg?

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Worm is that you?

All of those have awesome downhill sections, but most you have to ride some ridge for a while which will have a few climbs. Wolf and Hearthstone have parts that would be a lot of fun on a DH bike.

I wish I could remember the name of the one that has like a dozen jumpable water bars at the bottom. Anyone?

edit: yes, SBC is in the burg.

Trouble

Chimp
Sep 16, 2004
Funky Town
Matt D said:
Worm is that you?

I wish I could remember the name of the one that has like a dozen jumpable water bars at the bottom. Anyone?

edit: yes, SBC is in the burg.
No it's not me.

Red Diamond has some silly huckable waterbars, as does Hearthstone and Wolfe.

Nothing around there is pure DH, but enough that it won't matter too much.

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
I've ridden my Fly on some of those trails, but I've had more fun riding my XC bike on them.
Matt, are you talking about those waterbars at the end of Wolfe? I'm not sure if I consider those waterbars or small steep hills, they appear to be there to keep 4x4's from coming up the trail, I could be wrong on that, I've been known to be on occasion.

Oh, Paris, I sent you a pm.....

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Bucket,

I know which ones you're talking about, but it's not them. Maybe it's Grindstone, I don't know. I like every trail out there, and usually can't remember which is which until I'm on it and I'm like "Oh yeah, I love this section!"

XC/All mountain bikes is where it at up there. Some sections would be a blast on a DH bike, but you'd pay for it elsewhere.

Trouble

Chimp
Sep 16, 2004
Funky Town
BUCKET said:
Where are the “Death Star” and “High School Dropout” trails that you speak of?
Wouldn't you like to know :eviltongu

Ok..

fine twist my arm...

HS Dropout runs off the west side of the ridge, outa the southwest corner of the parking lot forn Shenandoah Mt. Picnic area. Drops down to Fireroad 61. Hang a right, and follow it back the saddle.

Death Star, is on the west side also. It's about a 1/3 of the way out from the intersection on the way to Flagpole.. Drops down by the Naval Base in the middle of BFE.

Both end up being really really long rides..

-JW