Quantcast

Rediscovering slicks on a MTB...

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
OK I broke down and bought a pair of Tioga 1.5 slicks for my Specialized HT. I mounted them up and they sat there unused for a week or so, but this weekend I decided to take it out.

Wow! I have to say that I knew the 2.4 WTB Mutoraptors were slow but damn. These Tioga tires almost pull me up hills.

I did a hilly 10mile loop on Sunday and couldn't believe how much easier it was to tear around on the little tires (little by my fat arse stds.) I was a overly cautious at first but towards the end of the ride I was tearing through packed gravel and grass on these slicks. I was running them at 80psi (hard!) and they look funny on my 2003 Specialized HardRock Pro disk with FSA 3pc chromoly cranks and a Evil bashguard.

I have to say if you have been thinking about it....try it out. :cool:

Shot of slick design:

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
Hell I can only imagine. I just changed out my michelin 2.5 DH

tires on my AC for some kenda 2.35
tires

AND WOW.. what a difference tire weight and compound makes! Sooo fast feeling, like I could ride all day long!

I can't even imagine a slick....

always good to hear someone enjoying a ride though!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've got those on the spooky now, as a commuting machine. the tire looks funny mounted on the rim, and run through a z1 w/ a blackspire brake arch which can accomodate a gazzy 3". the tires do zip, i will grant you that. much much faster than my other urban ride, the evil w/ mag30 rims and hookworms.

i can't imagine running those tires on dirt though.

:dead:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Serial Midget said:
I run 21mm at 140psi on my road bike. Those are fast rollers. :evil:

Vote Kerry. (booooooooo) :D Thanks a bunch.
Yeah after just running them Tioga tires ......I can't imagine the pounding you take in the rear....:think:

not that I lay around thinking of you taking a pounding in the rear :help: :eek: :p

I know there is little volume on small tires like that.....but is there any give in a 140psi?

All of a sudden saddle choice is CRITICAL :D

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
narlus said:
i've got those on the spooky now, as a commuting machine. the tire looks funny mounted on the rim, and run through a z1 w/ a blackspire brake arch which can accomodate a gazzy 3". the tires do zip, i will grant you that. much much faster than my other urban ride, the evil w/ mag30 rims and hookworms.

i can't imagine running those tires on dirt though.

:dead:
You know I bet on a non-hilly XC trail you could get by. I was bouncing along the shoulder with rain ruts in teh gravel and off camber and they workded better than I expected. Grass was fun ;) They jsut did better than I expected ....dropping curbs on them was brutal :D

Hookworms are just heavy. I would use HW if I was going to get all urbon on my bike. :rolleyes: but for commuting.....zip zip! The Tioga's are probably pounds lighter than the HW....but they were made for vastly different reasons.

Try trail riding on the slicks it will make you a great bike handler. :D you will learn to drift better. hahaha

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
RhinofromWA said:
Try trail riding on the slicks it will make you a great bike handler. :D you will learn to drift better. hahaha
i have been trail riding on a road bike before! with a triple it's not even that bad, if a little tough on the tires. i was weaving all over the place, trying to avoid the especially pointy rocks...