Quantcast

Redline Urbis

pugslybell

Chimp
Jan 23, 2002
Durango Colorado
Mandown,
We are very close to craig hospital here in denver and we do tons of disabled work arounds to get folks on or back on bikes. JB importers sells a vbrake lever that can pull both brakes at the same time. you could run it with v or mechanical discs and set the pull so you can a fair bit of controll over both wheels. Not a perfect fit but may make it so you can use both brakes with your current hand situation. They are very inexpensive(not xt level but workable).

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Mandown,
We are very close to craig hospital here in denver and we do tons of disabled work arounds to get folks on or back on bikes. JB importers sells a vbrake lever that can pull both brakes at the same time. you could run it with v or mechanical discs and set the pull so you can a fair bit of controll over both wheels. Not a perfect fit but may make it so you can use both brakes with your current hand situation. They are very inexpensive(not xt level but workable).
Rad. Is there a link to any info on the device?

I had to hit the brakes hard on my bike last week, and just grabbing a handful of rear brake caused enough of a weight shift for me to think I could go OTB. Any alternatives to get me riding more are good ones.

pugslybell

Chimp
Jan 23, 2002
Durango Colorado
13748 is JB part number. Should not cost you more then about 20 25 bucks and nearly every bike shop in America has an account with them.
It is listed as Cantilever/centerpull but we have set it up with avid mechanical discs in the past. It does take some patience to get to a good setup that will work for you in terms of how much brake power. We usually set it up that when the rear wheel is locked the front is about 80 percent to locked. You can reef on the lever and get both to lock up

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
You're thinking about riding a bike fixie? Dude, you already broke your neck once.
Right. What are the odds of it happening twice?

It wasn't as bad as I thought, though not uber comfy. Swobo makes a coaster brake rig that I might consider. The fewer parts, the better.

j.les

Monkey
Jul 21, 2007
Chicago
Not sure what your price range is, but check into the Salsa Vaya. It's a nice road/commuter/gravel grinder, and it takes disc brakes.

I was in a similar situation as you. With my spinal injury I couldn't ride mt. bike trails. I bought a Surly Cross Check frame to hit up the gravel and limestone paths 'round here. All I had to buy were rims and spokes to build it up - all my mt. bike parts bolted right on.

The Vaya has 135mm rear wheel spacing. You'd be able to run discs and the dual control lever the other guy was talking about.

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/vaya_frameset/

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I like Redline bikes. If the Monobelt came in a 26" version I would buy one. I built a Gary Fisher Rig as a Single Speed 29'r. It was fun for a week. I cannot say I would ever want a fixed gear mountain bike, to qualify I haven't tried one....

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Some interesting options suggested. I have a wheel set that I built just before my crash, with Hope II hubs and Sun pink camo MTX rims). The plan was to build up a Surly 1x1 with that and a few other parts. But I'm not sure I'd want to use that thing around town, just for the underkill gearing and overkill weight for urban use. This seems like a nifty choice, and a chance to give the fixie thing a try. I thought I'd hate it, but the quick pedal I took felt pretty good and natural. Maybe the underkill gearing helped that, but I'm not looking for a speed demon.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
...underkill gearing...
Direct quote from one of our customers. Granted she was a pretty in-shape mom, but still... (and ours is a 42/16t gear ratio)

Amy said:
Have only had the Cat for a few days, but I've ridden it every day and am having a blast! It's perfect and so much fun that I'm inventing reasons that I need to get out on it. And the gearing is just right for riding behind a slow 4 year old on his tiny bike or with a fast 7 year old. Thanks!
Kinda kills the "lightweight, fast, efficient" story that we've been trying to push this whole time, but I seriously can't imagine riding a 36/16t even with the bigger/heavier tires. :rofl:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
while we are there... is anyone aware of a company building a single speed bike for "urban" use with 2 hydro disc brakes?
On-One Pompetamine Cro-Mo Urban Frame
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOPOMPET/on-one-pompetamine-cro-mo-urban-frame

The Pompetamine features greater tyre clearance so you can fit up to 35mm 'cross' tyres, plus the disc brake mounts are on the inside of the chainstay for clean looks and the option to add panniers.

Perfect for zero-maintenance commuting, you can fit an Alfine hub or a 135mm fixie or single speed hub.

And it looks nice too...

Compatible with matching disc forks
135mm rear spaced drop-outs
I.S disc mounts
Cable routing for disc brakes and hub gears
Frame weight 2200g
Available in retro white and "that blue"
Glow in the dark white available for a limited time only!
42mm max tyre clearance- Centrelock disc wheels are recomennded for maximum fork clearance.