Quantcast

Redneck Engineering (chainguide)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This was at a gas station in Sandy, OR on the way back from a DH race at Ski Bowl. This is one of the more creative setups I've seen. The vice-grip was used to hold the cable end, then taped to the chain stay to keep it out of the wheel. True redneck engineering there.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Unfortunately I don't have a picture, but I saw a guy in town using a vice grip to clamp the stem to his bars. Yeah, that's safe.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Also, what you don't see in the pic (my friend took it, not me) is the bike was secured to the pole with this HUGE logging chain, bigger than the Kryptonite chain just in case you thought about stealing this sweet ride. :rofl:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
BigMike said:
That is amazing!

And JD, I see that all the time here In Richmond.......

Really, you have to wonder, you have a pair of channel lock pliers laying around but you don't have $0.10 for a new bolt? WTF.

As for the first picture. Why not cut a short piece of cable from the shifter end (with the little knobby cable stop) then stick it in the rear d. Pull the cable tight, bolt it down and you are done. I have a ghetto SS that I do this with. Works well and requires no additional pliers or electrical tape.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
The electrical tape is over the shift cable for the rear-der. I wonder how that's working out. Maybe this is his way of turning it into an SS!