Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
04-24-05 The Redneck Rally DH Clayton, OK MDHCS
CONFLICTS with cloudcroft

any info on clayton.

Feb 20, 2004
Oklahoma
The clayton course will be built this weekend. around 650-700 ft of elev change. maybe 1-1.5 miles long. rocky and technical. it should be one of the two most difficult courses on the MDHCS. totally grass roots and should be a lot of fun.

Cloudcroft. Well you have spent more time there than me so you know what to expect there. I was really wanting to go this year but I am involved at least to a minor degree in the Clayton race so I am out.

I will post pics of the course next week.

Edster1000

Chimp
Oct 27, 2003
Amarillo
Im going to cloudcroft unless these pics of clayton look fun. Where is clayton in oklahoma? Ill probably end up going to cloudcroft, and then try to make it to one of those races in arkansas this summer.

Feb 20, 2004
Oklahoma
Clayton in is SE OK not too far from AR. It will be a fun course for sure. Very rocky and quite steep in sections. we are going to build something we will be willing to go ride on a regular basis so hopefully it will be very fun.

Here is a map:

http://tinyurl.com/495v2

Feb 20, 2004
Oklahoma
We have a trail that is between 1 -1.5 miles long. Very steep in some sections and very rocky in most sections. parts of the course remind me of Angelfire's Alpha course. There are some very steep, narrow chutes to negotiate and some unrelenting rock gardens. Near the bottom there is a roling pedaling section that will hurt a little after the tech sections but it rolls pretty fast and is easy to pedal.

Go here for pics, I don't have the time to resize etc...

http://pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=list&function=myphotos&photouserid=56844

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
some more pics:

the motel

the motel

roadside

the bottom of the course

looking down the start of the trail

clifton drops in

jordan drops in

joel drops in

jordan jumps small rock drop

cool rock wedge

jordan jumps rock wedge

this is a double or a single hit at the top of the course

dont let the top of the course fool you. the majority of the course is brutal and steep with no room for error or fatigue

my bike in the foreground and jordan way in the distance (downhill) *top right of photo. this course is the real deal. not as long as angle fire NM but some sections are JUST as brutal.

All this is 2 hours north of dallas.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
is there free camping around there?

i am going to whoever has the best weather

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Jimmy_Pop said:
if it is raining, the Clayton race will most likely be postponed.

i'll find out more about the camping situation.

postponed, why do you guys not like to get muddy?

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
also, logistically, the roads getting to and from the starting area are logging roads. The always have deep ruts and are very soft dirt and we have been up there when it is muddy and you cant get a 4x4 back there, much less in a shuttle situation.

Feb 20, 2004
Oklahoma
bcd said:
is there free camping around there?

i am going to whoever has the best weather
The camping is not free but it is cheap. 6.00 a day I think...

There is camping at Clayton lake 4 miles away and at Sardis lake a little farther.

The course is open to the public. Directions will follow sometime very soon.

Clifton