Quantcast

reducer cups

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
The FSA cups look exactly like my Problem Solvers reducers that I used for a year.

I ran the PS reducer cups with a King headset and it worked flawlessly.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Why in the world would you (or anyone) choose to stuff a bug ol hunk of aluminum into your head tube...to then just run a run of the mill tall stack height 1 1/8 headset??? Even more of a quandry when you want to use a CB headset (they seem to be holding up like most CB products...).

So you get:
Tall stack height
small non replacable bearings
multiple redundant press-fit interfaces
and a headset that seems to be prone to fail.....

????????

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
Why in the world would you (or anyone) choose to stuff a bug ol hunk of aluminum into your head tube...to then just run a run of the mill tall stack height 1 1/8 headset??? Even more of a quandry when you want to use a CB headset (they seem to be holding up like most CB products...).

So you get:
Tall stack height
small non replacable bearings
multiple redundant press-fit interfaces
and a headset that seems to be prone to fail.....

????????
well, i want to try the CB, i have a ck i can use if it fails. i dont like it though. i dont see the point of the 1.5 anyway.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
It is a stronger interface, allows larger bearings, or larger stronger steer tube, or reduce stack height.

On a long travel DH type bike, there is a real advantage to lowering your bars over an inch by going to a flush 1.5 to 1 1/8 headset. With a double crown fork you also get a significantly larger range of front end height/head angle adjustment with a (near) zero stack headset...allowing varying set-ups for different terrain.

Stuffing a standard headset in those reducers would remove any and all possible benefits.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HS610Z00-Fsa+Onepointfive+Headtube+Reducers.aspx

or this

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HS409Z28-Problem+Solvers+Headset+Reducer.aspx

if i get that for my jamis bam, can i use any 1 1/8 headset? or just fsa? thanks!
if they both work what one is better and will work with a cranks brothers headset? because everyone told me i couldn't use the e13 cups with CB

thanks again!
Ok, first off, the second one you listed is NOT what your looking for, to answer your question, if you get the first one, yo ucan use any basic headset.

im ok with that, not a big fan of any of the companies that make 1.5 headsets
Which ones are you not a fan of? FSA, Cane Creek, Seems those would be the best choice for what your looking for as it is.

If your going to use reducers, get something thats worth a ****...IE.....E13 flush mount reducer cups for use with internal headsets.

Just get a headset thats made for reducing 1.5 to 1.125

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
Ok, first off, the second one you listed is NOT what your looking for, to answer your question, if you get the first one, yo ucan use any basic headset.

Which ones are you not a fan of? FSA, Cane Creek, Seems those would be the best choice for what your looking for as it is.

If your going to use reducers, get something thats worth a ****...IE.....E13 flush mount reducer cups for use with internal headsets.

Just get a headset thats made for reducing 1.5 to 1.125
i just noticed CB makes a 1.5 headset, but do i need 1.5 to 1 1/8 reducer headset? im running a 40, so i wasn't sure

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
i just noticed CB makes a 1.5 headset, but do i need 1.5 to 1 1/8 reducer headset? im running a 40, so i wasn't sure
Yes, everyone went over this in your last thread about this already. Your Bike your getting has a 1.5 headtube, made for 1.5 steerers, your 40 has a 1.125 steerer. Yes, you need a reducer of some sort, in either a reducer cup, or a reducer headset. DaveP pointed out, in his own delicate way, that the less parts you have, the less that can go wrong

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
ok now i get it! if i use the e13 reducer cups i need a integrated headset! well my buddy is giving me the e13 cups, so i have 80 smackers to spend on a good headset what do you think is best?
Just get something cheap and spend the rest on beer. There's really not much point to high dollar headsets.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
well i just dont want steel bearings... and none of the sites state weather the bearings are alum or steel or w.e
Nobody makes aluminum bearings. Aluminum is way too soft. Seriously, you're over thinking this. Buy what you can get a deal on and ride the snot out of it.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
Nobody makes aluminum bearings. Aluminum is way too soft. Seriously, you're over thinking this. Buy what you can get a deal on and ride the snot out of it.
i have tried that. fsa raceface a canecreek all beat in a month or two, yeah i sdont know what i was thinking when i said alum... i ment stainless. they only headset i have that hasn't failed is my ck but, i cant stand the creaking noise/

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
i have tried that. fsa raceface a canecreek all beat in a month or two, yeah i sdont know what i was thinking when i said alum... i ment stainless. they only headset i have that hasn't failed is my ck but, i cant stand the creaking noise/
You're doing something wrong if you're killing headsets in a matter of months. The cheapo CC IS2 in my Bottle Rocket is several years old and still going strong. Dirty can back me on this, that bike gets ridden plenty.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005

Install them properly, they will stop failing. I am much bigger than you are, and I cant break an FSA headset.

You want something super strong, FSA The Pig reducer 1.5 to 1.125. Stainless bearings and cupsIts heavy though so be forwarned.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
Install them properly, they will stop failing. I am much bigger than you are, and I cant break an FSA headset.

You want something super strong, FSA The Pig reducer 1.5 to 1.125. Stainless bearings and cupsIts heavy though so be forwarned.
see the thing is i ride literally EVERY day so stupid things tend to bite me... people are telling me to use the e13 cups and a bmx headset

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
see the thing is i ride literally EVERY day so stupid things tend to bite me... people are telling me to use the e13 cups and a bmx headset
Hey,
Just to clarify, our reducer cups use an Integrated Standard (IS) 36-45 degree bearing. Cane Creek IS-3 is the current headset I recommend (no frills).

http://www.canecreek.com/component-headsets?product=IS-3

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=68#is

Additional Info:
BMX bikes have borrowed headset standards from Road rigs, mostly for a nice clean look/weight savings. Depending on the frame, you use either an Integrated Standard (IS...36x45) or more commonly the Campy standard (45x45 degree). The bearing on the Campy is roughly 0.8mm larger OD (per Park website), so BE CAREFUL when ordering anything.

The Park tool site is VERY helpful for all sorts of little details like this.

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen

Last edited: