Quantcast

reducing caloric intake, keeping energy

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Actually, I have quite a bit. Metabolism is a function of diet, exercise, and sleep (as are almost everything weight/health related). I agree that it should be a part of the conversation, but not the only conversation.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how high your metabolism is if you're taking in too many calories. My goal is to keep the number of calories reasonable and the type of calories "clean" - healthy fats and protein throughout the day, "healthy" carbs in the first half of the day or around workouts.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
... "healthy" carbs in the first half of the day...
But you haven't done your research.

do you agree with:
-- Carbs and alcohol slow your metabolism
-- protein and fats increase it

You should eat proteins and fats in the morning to kick-start your metabolism. And if you eat a fat/protein heavy meal in the evening, you might keep yourself awake.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Generally speaking, yes.

Go back to your first post in this thread. You mention getting your metabolism as high as "reasonably" possible. I'm not going to cut out carbs totally just to boost my metabolism that last little bit. I'm going to work them into my diet/day in a way that works best for me (i.e. makes me feel the best over the course of the day).

I also know that there is no cut and dry rule that is perfectly tailored for everyone. I've lived with myself long enough to know that I need some carbs early in the day or else I crash by 11am. Not to mention the fact that I generally work out in the morning. I also know that metabolism has no effect on my quality of sleep, at least not in terms of what I eat for dinner/before bed.

I've done a ton of reading, some of which generally agrees with what you've said. Most talk about adding muscle as the only sure fire way to raise metabolism. Regardless, I know that I can't just blindly follow what some article says - I need to apply the principles in a way that makes sense for my goals, fitness level, exercise program, etc.

Could I be a bit more strict about my diet? Sure, but I enjoy food so much that after a week of it I'd want to kill myself. I'd rather go 80% of the way and still enjoy life than go 100% and be miserable, even if it means the results come a bit slower.

And we haven't even gotten into good carbs vs bad...

At the end of the day, the best way to raise metabolism is to improve your muscle-to-fat ratio. That means lots of protein, and lots of exercise. If you're going to get through a good workout (be it weights, cardio, whatever), you're going to need some carbs. The trick is to eat the right carbs when your body needs them.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
So none of you have done any googling on "metabolism".

I'm always amazed when people talk about dieting and don't consider it.
Dude, seriously. There is a lot of garbage and quack sites out there to sift through. If you have some good links, post'em up. Thanks.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You mention getting your metabolism as high as "reasonably" possible.
yes, reasonably. Meaning, whatever works for you.

I do not subscribe to the atkins diet -- typical example of extremely low carbs. That's a lifelong attempt at misery followed by a heart attack at 50 years old.

The thing about metabolism is that if you focus on that, you learn SO MUCH!

The one thing I learned a lot about -- tho I had some idea before -- is just how horrible processed/sythetic stuff is for your body. That's a truism for everyone.

Who the fvck "needs" HFCS (high fructose corn syrup)? Any product that claims to be healthy and lists that in it's ingredients deserves to have the maker booted to the head.

I still drink dark sodas, I still use synthetic products like saccarin (eg. Sweet-and-Low -- tho I try for Splenda or Stevia first). I still eat sub sandwiches.

As for links, i didn't bookmark any of the sites or resources. I consumed them over the past year and distillied down the common pieces of info and tried a variety of things. My first post was a summary and what I think works generically for everyone. I summarized that post at the end with...

Eating healthy, low carbs, good supplements (not gimic stuff), a little alcohol, and some riding and without really thinking about it or any real effort, you can shed 2 pounds a week easy.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Who the fvck "needs" HFCS (high fructose corn syrup)? Any product that claims to be healthy and lists that in it's ingredients deserves to have the maker booted to the head.
Yea, no kidding. And the kicker is that stuff is EVERYWHERE.

Try feeding 2 little kids a diet low in HFCS! yikes.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Try feeding 2 little kids a diet low in HFCS! yikes.
I am not looking forward to that challenge.

My sister-in-law makes as many snacks as she can -- like blending fruit and making popsicles.

There was a report on TV about how food tastes better to kids when it's in McDonald's food wrappers. Even comparing a healthy sandwich made by mom on a plate or in a wrapper.

Fvcking advertising.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
-Eat lots of grilled tuna, chicken, and shrimp.
-Enjoy that with a side of green beans, broccoli, carrots, zucchini, squash, tomatoes, etc.---whatever vegetable you prefer.
-Keep your portions small.
-Drink two glasses of water with that meal.
-Cut out those sweets and don't eat after 10pm.
-Cut out as much beer as you deem sane--switch to vodka and cranberry juice instead.
-Ride your bike at least twice a week.

You'll look great. :thumb:

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
I hope im not repeating too much, just didnt fee like reading through everything.

You might want to change your multi vitamin, stick it in a glass of water with a little vinigar and see if it starts to disolve in 30 min, if not its not getting the proper nutrients into your system like it should. Shaklee is the best brand I have come across so far disolves in 7min.

40/40/20 diet is good, its what your suppose to consume. I don't know what your doing for protions but a good thing to go by is take your body fat percentage ie mines 10% subtract it from your weight 175lbs thats a total protien intake of about 157-158 grams per day. Carbs are equal and just divide it up evenly for each meal you do which should be 4-6 total. A good rule of thumb is not to ingest carbs after 8pm. Drinking a lot of water increases your metabolic rate, try around 90-120oz a day. Most Protien shakes are for people that want to increase there mass(muscle). I know muscle milk makes some that helps burn fat. Pretty good meal plan, only things I would change is no red meat unless its lean, take out cheeses, for breakfast try a cup of oatmeal and 2 eggs(usually give me a good bit of energy)...I sometimes put applesause in my oatmeal so it tastes a little better (no sugar/salt though). Alternate your caloric intake weekly ie I do 2000 one week and 2800 the next. This helps so your metabolic burn does not become stangnant. For good fats I would stay away from flaxseed oil, it will make you **** around 10+ times a day. i usually stick to fish oil, canola oil or olive oil, ill just throw a tablespoon into a protein shake.

Lifting is definitely key, most muscle mass will speed up your metabolism. I can only assume your biking so cardio is covered. Also after you work out if read acouple places you are not suppose to consume complex carbs ie: grains/pastas. If your consuming carbs after working out make them simple carbs like fruits or vegs.

Oh yeah stay away from all processed foods, and if your work schedule permits it try and work out early in the morning.