Quantcast

Reducing travel on 2006 Boxxer forks?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
i havent got my greasy hands on one yet but id say it shouldnt be that involved.

basically you will need to put a spacer between rebound piston head and the bottom of the stanchion, arond the shaft, this is to prevent the fork from extending completely.

then youll need to shorten the main spring, probably by cuttind down the length of any spacer or connector, to avoid spring preload when it doesnt get to extend fully because of the spacer on the rebound shaft.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Bicyclist said:
So on the 2006 WC there would be no way to decrease travel?

cant really say but i guess its easier actually, there might be issues with the air flow from the postive to negative chamber though, i wouldnt know, if it is anything like a port that gets aligned when the fork extends fully (much like the reservoir on a hayes brake) then it would be hard, but i wont know for sure until i get to autopsy one.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Cool. So when you reduce travel on a fork you can do it in any increment because you can make a spacer and cut the spring to any length you want?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Bicyclist said:
Cool. So when you reduce travel on a fork you can do it in any increment because you can make a spacer and cut the spring to any length you want?

not quite, it depends on many things, typically, forks that have a spring or cartridge system that attaches both at the top and the bottom at the same time like stratos and marzocchi, are harder to tinker with than the ones that have a "loose" spring inside.

cutting down springs is difficult and a last resort only, normally you can get away with reducing the length of the spring stack by cutting down spacers and the likes, if you are really reducing travel by a lot then a spring rate change might be needed and you could be better off by using springs from a different fork.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
konabiker said:
Kirt V. had some nutty chopped down 06 boxxer world cup on his race bike for crankworx, so I guess it can be done somehow...
sam hill had a 6in boxxer air for his type 6.
blackbox...they can do anything.:blah: