Quantcast

Refreshing a derailleur

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My wife's bike has an STX derailleur on gripshift shifters. It actually shifts ok, but there is a metric butt-ton of play in the derailleur pivots. Is there anything that can be done to refresh it, so it stops sloppin' around, or do I just need a new derailleur. We're trying to sell the bike so I don't want to redo her drivetrain, and selling it with the slop has been hard.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
What was the difference between STX and STX RC? Richard Cunningham?
if memory serves me right, STX RC was one step up from STX...

The line was:

... STX -> STX RC -> LX -> XT -> XTR

My brother had a 1995 gary fisher w/ stx. Decent lower-end drivetrain. Came stock on on $500-600 bikes.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
if memory serves me right, STX RC was one step up from STX...

The line was:

... STX -> STX RC -> LX -> XT -> XTR

My brother had a 1995 gary fisher w/ stx. Decent lower-end drivetrain. Came stock on on $500-600 bikes.
I think the RC just had a few different materials in the parts, but the two were mostly the same. I think I had STX RC on my first real mountain bike, a Schwinn Moab.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I think the RC just had a few different materials in the parts, but the two were mostly the same. I think I had STX RC on my first real mountain bike, a Schwinn Moab.
Yeah, they were very similar. I think in parts they used aluminum in place of steel... don't recall exactly - effectively the same in my eyes.

according to wikipedia:
STX-RC - Mountain bike groupset - Predecessor to Deore available during the mid 1990s
STX - Mountain bike groupset - between STX-RC and Alivio groups. For a limited time mid 1990s.

... with Alivio being lower end.

My first mountain bike predated Alivio and had Altus A-20... it was a trek 830. Loved that bike!

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
Buffalo, NY
RC was shinny aluminum, standard stx was more stamped steel. Both were low end junk. Had it on my 95 GT Tequesta and ran it a good number of years.