Quantcast

Regarding fixies:

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
I can stop my work bike as fast as I can stop my commuter with a front break. Ive dodged all the asshats so far and until I see a reason to run a break I wont.

Oh and the difference is far more than a degree. The only way this person can slow down is by throwing his foot into the rear triangle. "an emergency stop."

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I can stop my work bike as fast as I can stop my commuter with a front break. Ive dodged all the asshats so far and until I see a reason to run a break I wont.

Oh and the difference is far more than a degree. The only way this person can slow down is by throwing his foot into the rear triangle. "an emergency stop."
I just hope you don't get too hurt not wearing a helmet and riding without a brake. You cant control everything around you and nobody is ready for anything.

So many of the fixie riders wreak of arrogance and ignorance. :disgust1:

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Seriouly man - read what you just wrote. Even you know that an accident is going to happen eventually...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
OG has the right idea, as stated.

I got into riding fixie a few years ago because i couldn't keep a steady cadence worth sh*t (which is my own problem, probably due to mild mental retardation as some of you would argue :rofl: ). But I fell in love with riding my fixie, and haven't switched back to anything else for road. And I doubt I ever will. i still have BOTH brakes (personal comfort thing) and I wear a helmet. I wear pants designed for men, no makeup, and have a normal haircut. Guess I lose.

Honestly, I hope more hipsters start taking up riding fixies. Most of them aren't intelligent enough to handle it and will eventually remove themselves from the gene pool by riding in traffic.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i still have BOTH brakes (personal comfort thing) and I wear a helmet. I wear pants designed for men, no makeup, and have a normal haircut.
Do you at least have post cards in your spokes?

I know I can't handle a fixie, but I wouldn't try either. My single speed is more than enough for me.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
I rode a fixie in a parking lot. I thought "wow this could really improve my pedal stroke by getting me used to the idea of peddling in a full circle" I then road over to a friend (mind you i was riding clippless) tried to stop & got thrown over the bike.

If you are using one for training I think they need breaks.

does anyone ride cx or xc on a fixie? I think that would be suicide.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I rode a fixie in a parking lot. I thought "wow this could really improve my pedal stroke by getting me used to the idea of peddling in a full circle" I then road over to a friend (mind you i was riding clippless) tried to stop & got thrown over the bike.

More study Engrish for you!! :disgust1:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Neither of those people.

I ride beakless and worked for the summer as a professional courier. My pants are tight, and I don’t always ride with a helmet.

You ride beakless because it makes you a better rider. You understand traffic patterns and what you can and cant do. You think about what you are going to do before you do it and you know your limits.

I’m sure you all as bike riders understand the connection between rider and bike. When you ride bikes like these it become a part of you. Personal experience and experiences of those around me have kept me from riding a brakeless fixie in traffic.

On a side note, I know a guy in SF who rides beakless freewheel which is a little nuts.
Ooooh professional...

Sorry broham, but I rode a fixed bike for a month at work and came to the same conclusion I'd come to before. Riding brakeless in traffic is inconsiderate of those around you and plain stupidity on your part at best. Slide around on the pavement with your rear wheel locked up all you want, it's still no replacement for a front brake in an emergency situation. I don't care how well you claim to know traffic, there will ALWAYS be an asshat out there that will blindside you.

Only one messenger here still rides a fixed bike (with a front brake - oh noes!), and even still he only rides it %25 of the time he's working. Another messenger is still recovering from shoulder surgery after getting cut off and not being able to control his stop into a barrier.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Neither of those people.

I ride beakless and worked for the summer as a professional courier. My pants are tight, and I don’t always ride with a helmet.

You ride beakless because it makes you a better rider. You understand traffic patterns and what you can and can't do. You think about what you are going to do before you do it and you know your limits.

I’m sure you all as bike riders understand the connection between rider and bike. When you ride bikes like these it become a part of you.

On a side note, I know a guy in SF who rides beakless freewheel which is a little nuts.
IT'S BRAKE!! :ban:

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five

Definitely done some XC on my KM when it was fixed and during the winter we had "snow cross" races with our fixies and CX tires. A serious amount of fun.

I've toured, commuted, trained, and ridden just for the hell of it on a fixed gear. When I got to the point that I could ride down Highway 9 and Redwood Gulch without a brake I took mine off my brake. I put one on now and again, but this winter the brake proved absolutely useless, so I got rid of it again.

I don't really see the clothing the hipster set wears any less stupid than the other fads I see everyday.

The bike gets me where I want to go and it is a hell of a lot of fun. Riding fixed gear, with or without brakes, is like driving a standard car instead of an automatic. More control, more in tune with the vehicle, and riding/driving one skillfully is something I can take pride in.

The bike in the Craigslist ad is hilarious because I could go buy a new fixie from a bike shop for the same amount.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Neither of those people.

You ride beakless because it makes you a better rider. You understand traffic patterns and what you can and cant do. You think about what you are going to do before you do it and you know your limits.

I’m sure you all as bike riders understand the connection between rider and bike. When you ride bikes like these it become a part of you.

I am, without a doubt in mind, the one of the best riders in traffic. I started commuting from the North Bronx to lower Manhattan when I was 15 years old. And, yeah, I was a NYC messenger as well.

The way to learn to ride in traffic is to ride in traffic. I don't really care if people ride fixies. But there is no way you could convince me that it is safer than riding with brakes or it makes you a better rider.

I have drafted inches off of slow moving vehicles, sprinted 35mph+ through red lights, and other amazingly stupid risks. I learned the hard way a couple of times, like not to run red lights when oncoming traffic has a left turn signal.

If someone wants to ride without a brake, more power to them. I am also against suicide fences on the Golden Gate Bridge.

But lets not find some weak justifications. Almost every critical mass, I see a fixie rider go down, either over trolley rails or long fast straighaways, which could be avoided with brakes.

benno

Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
**** me sideways people, there is a big ****ing difference between 'BRAKE' and 'BREAK'.

JEEBUS!

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Hmm.. just last night I decided to convert my old lugged-steel road bike to a fixie. Cut off all the cable guides getting ready for paint. It's gonna be sweet.

I'm doing it mostly because it's going to be rediculously cheap. I've also got the frame and most of the parts, it's cooler than a crappy rusting road bike (what it is currently), and it should be good bike control practice riding around town.

That, and I don't like leaving my custom IF outside the coffee shop.

Yes, it will have a front beak. er..

OG, Ito: Any recommendations for gearing? I'm currently planning 48x17.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I was thinking about this last night on my way home. The chicks Laywer must have sucked!

They got tripped up by the question of how she would stop if the chain broke... well what would happen to a freewheel bike with a front brake if the cable broke?!?!?

I still thikn it is a smart thing to have a brake on it - but her Laywer still sucked.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
OG, Ito: Any recommendations for gearing? I'm currently planning 48x17.
Cool project!

It really depends on where you'll be riding. I'm running a 44X17. I spin out going downhill but can barely turn it over on some of the steeper hills on my commute in SF. 48X17 seems kinda high but it should be ok if it's not too hilly where you are.

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
I ride 54 18 in richmond and DC. If its a track bike go with the classic large chain ring. It makes the bike look much better, which lets face it is a big thing when it comes to a bike.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
Biscuit, most people I've ridden with do something like a 44t up front and between a 17-20 in the rear.

I was rolling 34/13, no idea what it figures out to be, but it was workable on just about anything I encountered (it was a flip-flop on my MTB, so that explains the tiny front ring).

And just to light off the brake enthusiasts: I ride my bike with a loose chain, no brakes, and three loose crank bolts (the fourth one is missing).

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Biscuit, most people I've ridden with do something like a 44t up front and between a 17-20 in the rear.
I assume these were with 700c road wheels? Wheel size makes a pretty significant difference on gear-inches.

If you feel like getting smarter (or feeling dumber) read here.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
For those who might be interested, my little side project is finally done. Took my sweet time building it. Splurged on a nice seat to really clean it up. Once I get the hang of it I'll start using real pedals too.

All I need is that front brake line to finish.. or do I? :think:

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
That's hawt!

What frame is that?

(I'm pro-front-brake)
It was a beat up Bridgestone Mile 112. Just a decent lugged steel frame. I shaved the der hanger, cable guides, frame pump mount, and the massive down-tube shifter braze-on's.

Stripped it with a wire brush on my angle grinder, and about six coats of rattle can paint (done proper like - wet sanding and all).

The fork is a $29 job from JensonUSA, I masked off the chrome crown. (notice the front brake doesn't actually line up - it's got an old-school drop.. so I got to find a different caliper).

Bars are from Soma, stem is a Nitto "Jaguar" (apparently a popular stem in the track bike world), wheels are dimension track hubs to no-name aero rims.

Thing is surprisingly heavy. I think it's heavier than my full-geared road bike.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Nice work, that looks really sweet.

The fork is a $29 job from JensonUSA, I masked off the chrome crown. (notice the front brake doesn't actually line up - it's got an old-school drop.. so I got to find a different caliper).
Hmm, maybe that's a fork for 27" wheels? In any case you should be able to find a caliper with a dropped center bolt or longer arms without too much difficulty. American Cyclery in SF should have what you need, they do all kinds of stuff like that. You'll want to bring it in.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
WTF is "argyle rim tape"? I'm assuming it's something other than the velox tape you put between your tube and your spoke holes.

I thought they were actual rims, but rather decals you put on your Deep-V's.

But yes, Blue's definition is correct.

And a long reach caliper should be pretty easy to find. We always had them in stock at my old shop. Just call around the Bay Area. They won't work well with the pretty Argyle rims though.