Quantcast

Registering and insuring a car just for the summer?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My cousin offered to sell me his 16 year old SUV for $500. It runs great, and after trying to drive my Accord on some of the unmaintained roads of Downieville, I see the need for 4WD and higher clearance.

Since I live in the city and do not require a second car, I was planning on keeping it in Sierra County for the summer. Is it expensive and time consuming to register just for 6 months?

I am afraid it will require turning in plates ever season, which is not worth my trouble.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Registration in Cali. is for 1 year, so if you register it on July 5th 2006, it expires on July 5th 2007. So there is no need to turn in the plates and what not. Insurance is usually for 6months at a time so you can isure it for the summer, and them not for the other 6 months, or get it insured as a non driven car for that period, incase it gets stolen or anything.

You just have to rebember to get the insurance started before you reregister it every year, and you're all set. Also you can get limited insurance, liability only, for super cheap.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
Call Nationwide and do a quarterly plan and drop it to bare minimum coverage if you don't intend to drive it. I drive my Cadillac all year round.. But I drive my Corvette only in the summer. I use to pay $800 a year for my Corvette and I thought, "Why pay $400 to leave it sit for six months in my garage!?" SO I use to drop it completely and have to turn in the plates and lose money. But my agent told me that even though it's in my garage, in the event of a house fire, it's NOT covered as it's a car and I need CAR insurance on it. So I drop ALL coverage except replacement coverage in my garage. It costs me $50 a quarter to insure it for six months over the winter and $400 for the summer.

Contact Nationwide and just do it that way. Also this saves you having to turn in your plates all the time and getting new ones. What a nuisance the lines are at the motor vehicle do to those typical SLOW ASS workers!

Just remember though, if you do that, if you drive it on that bare minimum which it does have tags and you legally CAN drive it, you really don't want to when it's under bare minimum coverage as if you HIT someone, they won't cover you, you'll get sued and you are on your own. ALSO if someone hits YOU, you are not covered for subrigation, you have to hire an attorney or sue them yourself. So if you do it, DONT DRIVE under the minimum "storage" type of coverage, then simply send a fax to your agent saying insure it as of today, when you do covers you and you can just pay by the quarter and not have to take your tags back.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Also this saves you having to turn in your plates all the time and getting new ones. What a nuisance the lines are at the motor vehicle do to those typical SLOW ASS workers!
Family Guy-
Nate griffin, after he escaped north to freedom created the DMV to get back at the white people who enslaved him.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There are some policies that cover seasons. Like for a motorcycle or convertable "only during summer" types of coverage. I would think you could do an SUV for "Summer only" as some people do it for the winter.

It might be a little more a month, but still cheaper than 6 months if all you need is 3. Depends on who you go through I'm sure. I have USAA and can do damn near anything with my policy free of charge.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I just found out that my carrier, Amica, will insure that SUV just for liability for the grand sum of $70 A YEAR!.

I was all set to say no, but for $70 a year!