Quantcast

Registration for the U.S. Open began today at 9 A.M.... So Who's Going?

MichaelT

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
home
All - yes it is not good to have both events on the same weekend.
It also sucks that the US does not have a WC venue.

I will be at the US OPEN. I will be the one drinking coffee and water like no other..... emphasis on coffee.

Todd and Travis,
Must be nice to be able to ride and race at a race...
I will have my XC or road bike with me. That will have to do. I could always ride my Mark III up the fire road and back down the race course. This time I will bring a QR seat post clamp. boy, that was dumb idea a few years ago to ride down the course sans seapost QR.

JDD - that jersey and pant combo is LOUD.

If the US OPEN gets the same race pool from 2005 then who knows who will win it.

Michael
e.thirteen

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
yep, i used to race a bunch back in the day... but gave it up since i was getting too busy shootin photo, painting, & doing the team manager gigs... but i've grown to miss riding! ...been a while... & a hell of a long time since i raced... but i've been hitting the local winter series & been having fun! i'm gonna try & hit up all the major races i'm workin at this year... but i'm not anticipating the luggage!:bonk: :banghead: lol

i'm riding an 07 IronHorse Sunday... gear & bike color will be changing before Sea Otter, plus a painted lid & yes... i love the bike!

Wow - cool D, I had no idea. Hope to see you racing at the Open this year, that kit you have is some crazy stuff.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
however, when it became a NMBS event, *that* screwed up everything as it sort of forces anybody doing the NMBS races to attend, including east coast pros who would normally hit the Open.
Don't get me wrong, it IS a drag that the two events conflict, and there was definitely part of that could not have been forseen. Hopefully both promoters can get it worked out for future seasons and the two races can be held on separate weekends. As coveted as the sweet Memorial Day weekend spot is, my not so humble opinion is that due to the smaller scale of the US Open in terms of number of events and disciplines represented (not that the US Open is a small scale race) that it would have an easier time of moving to another, with the least amount of consequences to the riders. Chile has just gotten SO big, and now with the National Racing Calendar designation it'll only get bigger I would assume, that it barely fits into a three-day weekend, and won't fly as a two-day event any longer.

Just my two cents, stirring up the pot.

Feb 7, 2007
Vernon, New Jersey
Don't get me wrong, it IS a drag that the two events conflict, and there was definitely part of that could not have been forseen. Hopefully both promoters can get it worked out for future seasons and the two races can be held on separate weekends. As coveted as the sweet Memorial Day weekend spot is, my not so humble opinion is that due to the smaller scale of the US Open in terms of number of events and disciplines represented (not that the US Open is a small scale race) that it would have an easier time of moving to another, with the least amount of consequences to the riders. Chile has just gotten SO big, and now with the National Racing Calendar designation it'll only get bigger I would assume, that it barely fits into a three-day weekend, and won't fly as a two-day event any longer.

Just my two cents, stirring up the pot.

FYI... The U.S. Open has been successfully held on Memorial Day weekend since 2004 and there are no plans now or in the future to move the event date, despite WC, MSC or any other promoter irresponsibly double-booking.

Sam Hill, Sabrina Jonnier and many others confirmed today. 100 riders registered within 24 hours (new record)... See everyone in May!

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
FYI... The U.S. Open has been successfully held on Memorial Day weekend since 2004 and there are no plans now or in the future to move the event date, despite WC, MSC or any other promoter irresponsibly double-booking.

Sam Hill, Sabrina Jonnier and many others confirmed today. 100 riders registered within 24 hours (new record)... See everyone in May!
Everyone knows that that the Open has been held on Memorial day weekend for the past few years. Yes you are right. But for the same reasons you guys originally scheduled that weekend, they still remain good reasons for other promoters to hold events on that weekend. It is not "irresponsible double-booking" its just common sense. You guys dont own the rights to holding a race on Memorial day weekend. Competition is a good thing. You guys had no problem with attendance even with the Fort William conflict last year. I am sure that you guys will sell out again this year, maybe/ probably even sell out weeks or months in advance.

It sucks that they are the same weekend but they are on opposite sides of the country. Each race will probably have little to no effect on eachothers overall attendance. I am willing to bet that the sport has grown enough and both events will have their best year yet, even with the conflict. Maybe someday we can have it set up like moto and have a series in the west and a separate series on the east. Then at the end have an east-west shootout!

That would be cool!

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Heikki, you goin?
I am going to be living in Durango this summer and Angel Fire is MUCH closer.

I think the only race that is on the schedule back east for me is the National Championships at Mount Snow. And I cant miss another Whiteface race. So I am trying to figure out how I can make it back for at least one of those.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I am going to be living in Durango this summer and Angel Fire is MUCH closer.

I think the only race that is on the schedule back east for me is the National Championships at Mount Snow. And I cant miss another Whiteface race. So I am trying to figure out how I can make it back for at least one of those.
Oh...so too good to get your feet muddy in NC huh. I was even owing you a "Pick you up at the airport" good deed too! And I don't do too many good deeds...bad for my image.
:disgust1:

And Diablo...come on bro. It's not often someone swings a bad P.C. hammer harder than me. Have a minion there proofread before you hit "Enter". Positive vibes...."whoa...did I just say that?":shocked:

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Oh...so too good to get your feet muddy in NC huh. I was even owing you a "Pick you up at the airport" good deed too! And I don't do too many good deeds...bad for my image.
:disgust1:
Thanks for the offer anyway. It just does not make sense for me to be at NC this year. Its so far away from everything and I heard alot of mixed reviews from last year. Some great, some not so great.

And besides, the Telluride Mountain States Cup is that weekend and that race rules. Not to mention Crankworks is also on the same weekend.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Little late in the game, but I just registered AM Men. I was unsure if I was going to ride DH this year due to funds, lack of complete/operational bike, graduate school next year and a possible move to Chicago. I decided I don't care and I'd miss ripping Diablo too much. See you guys there!

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Little late in the game, but I just registered AM Men. I was unsure if I was going to ride DH this year due to funds, lack of complete/operational bike, graduate school next year and a possible move to Chicago. I decided I don't care and I'd miss ripping Diablo too much. See you guys there!
ugg, don't move to chicago if you have diablo nearby. Are you crazy?!?!