Quantcast

Registration for the U.S. Open began today at 9 A.M.... So Who's Going?

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
I just registered in the AM Class...

I'd like to get down there a couple times before the race and see where the course is. I guess I've been by it, but have never been on it - as far as I know.
If you have not raced the Open before then you have not been on the whole course. Most of that course is only open during the race.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
cant wait, im really curious how the competition will be this year with angel fire going on and no world cup.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I just registered in the AM Class...

I'd like to get down there a couple times before the race and see where the course is. I guess I've been by it, but have never been on it - as far as I know.
BMW is the trail you are referring to - the U.S. Open course uses most of this trail towards the top and follows it through to the wide open section before the berms...

From what I've heard the course will finally have some new sections this year (towards the middle), so I think it will be a welcome change of pace so to speak...

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Angelfire race the same weekend? is it a big event like USO? or some small deal?
Wonder why they made them same weekend? seems like times like this promoters in american should try harder than ever to work together to not overlap??

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
registered! the only unwelcome part of that course was the uphill left onto BMW, hope to see that gone and something with more flow instead!

Getting married that weekend so i guess I can't make it. Before I get a lot of sh!t for having my wedding then, I make up for it on the honeymoon. One week in Kamloops, a few days at the shore and the rest of the week at Whistler.

Redeemed :biggrin:

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
The Log on the right hand turn back into the woods 3/4 in was the annoying part. The section afterwards was great then onto the open setion at the last 1/4. We will be there with .......Beer.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
signed up. time to start training (cracks open a beer).
Heh - you know you're out on your road bike every morning at 4a.m. You ain't foolin' me...:biggrin:

...speaking of beer - I'll have a cooler loaded with Newcastle where I'm staying. Glad to hear you and Todd are registered and ready to go.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
damnit.... i still donno which race i'm gonna do.... US Open or NORBA/MSC @ Angelfire! I'm hopefully going to be racing at which ever one i attend.... just donno where my riders are going to & which will have the better photo opportunities! AAAACCCCKKKKKK!!!!!

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Angelfire race the same weekend? is it a big event like USO? or some small deal?
Wonder why they made them same weekend? seems like times like this promoters in american should try harder than ever to work together to not overlap??
AngelFire counts as a National, Mtn States Cup, and is part of the G3 Series. I believe that it is also the only National of the year that counts as a Cat 1 event on USA Cycling MTB National Gravity Calendar. It will be one of the biggest races of the year in the US.

My assumption is that most of the bigger names like Hill, Kovarik, Rennie, etc. will be at the Open with most of the East coast pro/ semi-pro guys. While most of the top US guys and a few international guys like Graves, Leov and a few others will be in AngelFire.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Stik... With close to 2,000 unique starts in multiple disciplines (XC, STXC, Super-D, DH, and 4X) I would say that the Chile Challenge in Angel Fire is a "big event". It has not typically been held on Memorial Day weekend, but with the Ironhorse Classic going to a road-only format and the racer numbers increasing by huge leaps every year at the Chile Challenge, it came as a blessing and a curse that Memorial Day weekend opened up. Basically, after careful consideration, the promoters took the chance despite the conflict, as having that many events and racers come through on a 2-day weekend was becoming nearly impossible.

As for "working together" and all that... trust me, the promoters had to think long and hard about moving to a weekend that overlapped with such a high-caliber event. But the thing of it is, USO is a DH-only event on the East Coast, and Chile Challenge has a full range of disciplines and is based in the Rockies, so the decision had to be made with the Rocky Mountain racer contingent in mind.

I still say it is unacceptable to have those on the same day.
Its not like it is a secret when the US Open is gonna be.
It is the same weekend every year.
It's true that it's "no secret" when the USO is every year, but please bear in mind that there actually is more to racing than our own Gravity-induced insanity, and the Chile Challenge is a multi-disciplined event. Hell, it's a multi-disciplined GRAVITY event, with races being held on the same tracks that were used for the World Cup in 2005. That being said, only the gravity events at the Chile Challenge are on the National Calendar, which include DH, 4X, and Super-D. The Chile Challenge is part of the Mountain States Cup, but NOT part of the Rocky Mountain G3 Series. The Final Descent, typically held in October at Angel Fire, will serve as the finals for the G3 series.

I have no doubt that the international WC guys will rock the USO, but I would also think that US racers looking for a spot on the US Worlds Team would head to Angel Fire. It is unfortunate that there is the overlap, but also think of it this way: it might be a sign that mtb racing (and gravity racing in particular) is getting healthier in this country, and that's what we all want right? I hope that clears a couple of things up for everyone. Trust me, the decision to rock the Chile Challenge over Memorial Day Weekend, and therefore conflict with the USO, was not made in haste.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I know where Hill & Riffle will be...

-ska todd
Heh - wasn't going to say anything but I guess Can'tClimb spilled it...

:biggrin:

DylanDeanDesign: damnit.... i still donno which race i'm gonna do.... US Open or NORBA/MSC @ Angelfire! I'm hopefully going to be racing at which ever one i attend.... just donno where my riders are going to & which will have the better photo opportunities! AAAACCCCKKKKKK!!!!!
D - I didn't know you raced DH too...

What kind of rig and set-up do you ride?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
As for "working together" and all that... trust me, the promoters had to think long and hard about moving to a weekend that overlapped with such a high-caliber event.
I actually don't blame the promoters, as the CC was originally just a cool local event that happened to conflict with the USO. It could be understood that west coasters would hit up the CC and the east coasters would hit up the USO...

however, when it became a NMBS event, *that* screwed up everything as it sort of forces anybody doing the NMBS races to attend, including east coast pros who would normally hit the Open.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
however, when it became a NMBS event, *that* screwed up everything as it sort of forces anybody doing the NMBS races to attend, including east coast pros who would normally hit the Open.
Well, if they're planning to go to Crankworx they'll miss NC too...so why not just miss em both (NM & NC) and do your own "series"? For pros going to Germany (Wheels of Speed) the following weekend or Switzerland for the World Cup, it's by far easier to fly out of Newark than from Albuquerque

-ska todd

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
all signed up... it's nice to get it done and over with early by the time the race rolls around it always feels like a "free" race

now if only all this snow would hurry up in melt before my bike shows up... 3 feet on the ground right now, and more on the way :disgust:

why do i get the feeling that i will be doing a lot of urban downhill training runs this spring

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
why do i get the feeling that i will be doing a lot of urban downhill training runs this spring
which is why you fools oughta come down to Boston for the next underground DH race we have!
I get a 2min urban training run every time i go to class ahah

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
I could see some people skipping the USO and coming to the CC, i think they have like a 6k prize purse, for 4x and DH.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
it sucks that there is a conflict... but i guess it could be worse

at least the events are on opposite sides of the country and will let amateurs and privateer pros race excellent courses and well organized events with prize money without having to travel all the way accross the USA

the biggest hassle i can see would be for factory riders who may be pulled one way or the other due to sponsorship conflicts... and in the end the the best riders will be split up rather than all the big names racing in one place on race day, which is a diasapointment from a spectator point of view

but for most of us, we get to race a kick ass event on a long holiday weekend not too far from home, no matter what part of the country we live in

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
D - I didn't know you raced DH too...

What kind of rig and set-up do you ride?
yep, i used to race a bunch back in the day... but gave it up since i was getting too busy shootin photo, painting, & doing the team manager gigs... but i've grown to miss riding! ...been a while... & a hell of a long time since i raced... but i've been hitting the local winter series & been having fun! i'm gonna try & hit up all the major races i'm workin at this year... but i'm not anticipating the luggage!:bonk: :banghead: lol

i'm riding an 07 IronHorse Sunday... gear & bike color will be changing before Sea Otter, plus a painted lid & yes... i love the bike!

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i will be racing. I am going to wait about a week to get a higher number. I am also going to be shooting at the open. So I would like to cover at least all the pros, and have time to get down the mt and up the lift before my run (at least for qualifying). Remember the high numbers.