Quantcast

Regular maintenance

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I like this thread too. What frame is that?
An evil sovereign circa 2005. This may be my last season on it as my main ride. My riding buddies will tell you I have been saying that forthe last 5 years, so we will see!

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
An evil sovereign circa 2005. This may be my last season on it as my main ride. My riding buddies will tell you I have been saying that forthe last 5 years, so we will see!
Nice! I knew you had a Sovereign, but I didn'y remember these were made from 853 tubing.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
This is a little reminder (mostly to myself) that greasing things is an important part of regular maintenance.

I've had a few annoying noises that I haven't been able to pin down. I also have been great at ignoring them, but it reached the tipping point this week so I decided to knock them out and luckily, they were fairly quick.

1. Creak from the BB area.
- Greased the bb threads
- Tightened the chainring bolts
- Finally, thought it might be the pedals, so I greased the pedal threads and bingo. Can't say I've had that experience, perhaps ever, but sure enough, this pedal/crank interface doesn't tolerate dryness very well.

2. Knocking sound from the front hub area. This sure sounded like it could be hub bearings as the sounds often sounded periodic, or maybe something inside the fork, but it was hard to be sure.
- Took the wheel out, spun the bearings... smooth. Loaded them and spun... smooth.
- After my pedal experience, I thought, why don't I grease the axle threads, and sure enough, that was it.

The bike is quiet as ever now. Feels good!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Spring routines start. Cleaning the salt and grime off the bike rack. Looking brand new once again. Rack is 7 years old at this point.

8076ECCD-D2EB-404E-9355-CB3FF29FDA47.jpeg

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
These hubs continue to amaze. I last overhauled them in 2012 when I replaced the freehub body on the rear and cleaned/greased everything. 9 years later front and rear are completely smooth. No contamination whatsoever. Not a hint of roughness. DT Swiss and CK will get my money in the future when I need new hubs!

Minor observation: I cleaned the spaces between the bolt holes on the DT hub first. It was a little fiddly to get in there with a rag and dirt didn't just come out. On the CK, it was the opposite experience. Theirs are shaped shallower, and fit the fingers perfectly. It actually felt nice, easy and quick to clean the same spot. This seemed intentional and was a minor moment of delight.

View attachment 166899
I9 make it about 9 months.
And they get all the clout

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Cleaned my kiddos drivetrain today. Adjusted the derailleur too. Was shocking to see how far out of adjustment the limit screws were but it still managed to shift just fine. Now it’s properly tuned and adjusted. Quieter too!

F7D3D5CA-4FCB-47AB-B0B6-E2EC1F25D091.jpeg

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Cleaned my kiddos drivetrain today. Adjusted the derailleur too. Was shocking to see how far out of adjustment the limit screws were but it still managed to shift just fine. Now it’s properly tuned and adjusted. Quieter too!

View attachment 177606
The limit screws have no effect on shifting performance, unless you make it impossible for the RD to move to the extremes.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The limit screws have no effect on shifting performance, unless you make it impossible for the RD to move to the extremes.
If the cable is adjusted right, yes definitely. I just meant that it wasn’t shifting into the spokes given how much it was allowed to move, and being a kid with gripshift and the slight overage you sometimes have on the low end. Maybe it was perfectly indexed. Who knows. Shifting well now anyway.