Quantcast

regularly missing meetings (rant)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
My boss is a bigwig... two steps below the president of the university.
I'm a peon.

I'm supposed to have weekly status meetings with her (which she insisted on in the first place) to go over projects, prioritize my work, etc. She misses them regularly (probably half the time), and when she does make them, she's never on time. WTF is that all about???

I know she's got bigger stuff to deal with than my projects, but if she can't make the time to meet with me, then give me a different supervisor. How freaking hard is it??? It's not like she's even qualified (in terms of skillset) to be my supervisor. This is the 3rd stint I've had with her as my supervisor and it's been this way every time.

I know it's just the way things are around here, but can't help but feel a little slighted by all this. To me, it's an issue of respect/courtesy. I don't know what it's like to be a high-rank, but I'd never do this to someone I supervised.

She can't manage her time, she micromanages so even the smallest task becomes a bloated project, grrrr.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I've figured out that the good people who are honest, get their work done and who are on time regularly (and call when they're not), consistantly get shat on in life and the ones who have no clue, rise to the top (only to make our lives a living hell). The only thing I can hope for is that we're storing up lots of good karma. Hang in there. I have a boss too who's middle name is micromanage.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
My boss blows off a lot of our one-on-one meetings too, but I have no problem with that since I hate meetings. He's a great boss and I like him, but I don't really need his input on anything to get my job done. Our one-on-ones are more for his sake, so if he misses them it's his loss. :clue:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I Are Baboon said:
My boss blows off a lot of our one-on-one meetings too, but I have no problem with that since I hate meetings. He's a great boss and I like him, but I don't really need his input on anything to get my job done. Our one-on-ones are more for his sake, so if he misses them it's his loss. :clue:
I generally hate our meetings too. We don't see eye-to-eye on ANYTHING, so it's basically her telling me what to do (yes, even though she has no idea what she's talking about most of the time). The problem is that when she misses a meeting, I get a flurry of e-mails about 1000 different things (most of which have nothing to do with me), then I get accused of dropping the ball/not following through on whatever project she has on the brain at the moment.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
jacksonpt said:
I generally hate our meetings too. We don't see eye-to-eye on ANYTHING, so it's basically her telling me what to do (yes, even though she has no idea what she's talking about most of the time). The problem is that when she misses a meeting, I get a flurry of e-mails about 1000 different things (most of which have nothing to do with me), then I get accused of dropping the ball/not following through on whatever project she has on the brain at the moment.
Well it sounds like your boss just sucks as a boss and the meeting issue is one of many. Sorry, yo.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
she's actually very good at what she should be doing - she just can't get away from the micromanaging thing. She should be worrying about how man freshman to accept so that we don't over enroll (thus, run out of dorm rooms) but still make the class and keep our budget... NOT worry about the color of of the links in an e-mail.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
jacksonpt said:
:clue: I'm not down with this new-fangled lingo.
Put It In Her Butt
Please Inspect Insignificant Holy Baboons
Purchasing Iodine Insulators Have Boobies
Peacocks Instigate Illicit Hate Buoys
Peanut In Inedible Homogenized Butter

take your pick

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I Are Baboon said:
I have twice monthly meetings with my front end staff. Since I don't work directly with them and it's really hard get face to face with with them it, and sometimes emailing can get contorted

I love the meetings!:) It's not so much to hand out projects but more to find out how they are doing, and are there any input they have. It pretty much turns into a great bs session for about an hour.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I have a problem with my boss, not unlike yours. But every time I have tried to open that can of worms, I get comments like "transfer" & "lose".

He does not mean it, but he also cannot handle any discussion where I criticize him.

I found that I have to communicate with him, I have to be totally subjugate my comebacks and rebellious nature, something which is very natural for me.