Quantcast

Reign X granny - 24 or 26 tooth?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'm sick of the pedal feedback on my Reign X during techie granny gear climbs. I'm running a 22 tooth now and am considering a 24, but may need to go a 26. Who's running a 24 or 26 and what's the pedal feedback like?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Chain rings are $30 online. Buy both and try. just get them to stay in your inventory of parts.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
I have a 2011 reign, and just got off of a 2010 RX and a 2009 RX before that...

I have a 26 right now and it is ideal. My bro has a RX with a 24 and likes it an aweful lot. He tried a 22 and found it to be a noticeable/bad change.

I think that you may need the 24 to have a low enough gear. I have a 26 with a 10s 11/36 out back and my bike is sub 30lbs. But i ride steep climbs daily. It is low enough but it still hurts.

PS 24/34 = 26/36, assuming you have a 9sp 11/34.

With the 26 i can stand and get over ledges, and can stand and stretch the legs. I went 26/38 so i'm in that 26 pretty much anytime i'm climbing so i reealy wanted the granny to feel good since i won't be able to middle ring much of anything and now my setup is dialed.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Thanks Krispy. Is your friend able to stand negotiation ledges comfortably with the 24? If not I'll just swap to a 36 cassette and run the 26 up front.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Haha... I heard the Honda pedals best with a 25t ring. Rumor is Minnnar used a 25/7 to climb up to the top of the courses in the dark with night vision goggles to get in extra practice runs.

My friend likes more pedaling firmness than i do, i doubt standing will be that great with the 24. With the 26 i can feel that there's enough tourque to go fast but it doesn't interfere with my pedaling. it's still not quite Tony's ICT wet dream but i feel it's the perfect combo of acceleration and standing ability, or more importantly, the ability to creep over big rocks and ledgy stair steps of slickrock.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
With the 26 i can feel that there's enough tourque to go fast but it doesn't interfere with my pedaling. it's still not quite Tony's ICT wet dream but i feel it's the perfect combo of acceleration and standing ability, or more importantly, the ability to creep over big rocks and ledgy stair steps of slickrock.
Thanks, that's exactly the type of situations I want the granny for.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Ah man it's unlike me, but i didn't take pics of it yet, and it's in pieces at the moment since another bike stole a bunch of parts off of it..We're buried in snow so my BMX hardtail took all the good stuff!!

I have a light setup for long XC rides and pedaly Super D's and my regular setup for fun stuff, like trail, shuttles, etc.

Light-28lbs
RS Revelation RLT Ti
X Fusion O2 RCX air shock
Maxxis Minion 2.3's

Beef-30lbs
X Fusion Vengance HLR 160
X Fusion Vector HLR w/400lb Ti spring, 2.25 stroke to get 6.7" travel
Maxxis Minion EXO 2.5's

Sram 2x10, mix of XX and X9
XT cranks w 26/38/bash
Race Face carbon AM bar 725
Kings on Flows
KS 950 post
Giant Contact 70mm stem (comes with ti bolts-super light!)
Shimano clips
Deity grips

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
I've run my RX with both a 24 and 22. Yes, the 24 is better on ledgy climbs, but I found the 22 to be acceptable for my standards. Personally, I find the Maestro suspension to be very neutral, maybe even more than I like. Krispy and I ride together a lot and this is an area we differ. He notices pedal feedback (anti-squat) more than I do. I like some to keep the bike up in it's travel.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I've been on an 07 for going on four years now. I find sitting up a climb in 22 is fine, but standing getting over obstacles is annoying; there's just too much chain growth further into the travel and there's not enough anti-squat to keep you out of it. 36 is fine both sitting and standing.