Quantcast

Reign X - Upgrade to DHX 5.0 or PUSH 3.0?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'm looking to upgrade rear suspension performance and need to decide between PUSHing the stock DHX 3.0 or upgrading to a 5.0. The current problem I want to solve is when I add in enough pressure to the boost valve to pedal well standing I wind up with a compression spike on small/medium stuff; large hits are still dealt with nicely. If I set up pressure to do well on the small/medium stuff standing pedaling performance suffers. High speed compression is fine as is in either setting - bottoming is not a problem and it feels smooth.

I'm a set and forget guy so I don't actually need the extra settings other then for initial set-up. Plus, I had a 5.0 on my ASX and found that it got harsh whenever I upped the propedal. This has me thinking PUSH however this is a different suspension design and the 5.0 may do what I need.

Anyone run a PUSHed DHX or DHX 5.0 on your Reign X (or regular Reign)? Thoughts?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
A custom tuned middle of the run shock will likely perform better then a stock tuned top end model, particularly in this case. The 3.0 is highly under rated as s shock.

PUSH IT!

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
PUSH tuned a DHX for me a couple years ago, it made an excellent bike ride even better. I'd vote for PUSHing the 3.0, definitely. Give them an honest appraisal of yourself, how you ride, what you typically ride terrain-wise, you'll get a great tune.