Quantcast

Rejoice with me- I've ordered my first parts!

BentHammer

Chimp
Dec 30, 2005
I'm going to be building a recumbent trike over the winter. I've just ordered steel (1.75" 4130 rounds, .035 wall) and the front wheels (20" plastic mags, the kind that were really cool in the early eighties ;) ).:thumb:

I'll be here a lot this winter, asking silly questions and ordering components. I'll post pics if anyone's interested.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Err... Sounds good. If you're into that kind of thing...

...ya' freak ;)

Hope you enjoy the recumbant, but better thee than me. :D

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Those things are pretty fun until you go around a corner too fast and roll it. Not that I've *ever* done that before. Post pics as you get it going!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Echo said:
I rode a recumbent around in the parking lot at T-blazer's. It was wierd.
Definitely. A friend's dad has a homebuilt tandem 'bent. The front wheel is under the driver which made steering pretty sketchy. Especially pedalling around the neighborhood at night, drunk.

BentHammer

Chimp
Dec 30, 2005
binary visions said:
Err... Sounds good. If you're into that kind of thing...
...ya' freak ;)
I'm deeply honored :blah: :)

I like bikes, but my road bike is a killer. I've still got energy at the end of the ride but I feel like crying when I see gravel- this bike feels like I'm sitting on a log splitter even with the gel saddle. I figure that with the recumbent, once I get my legs back in shape from hibernation, I should be able to commute more than just once a week or so like I do with the 'normal' bike.

(commute is 22 miles each way, gentle hills... I average 16mph or so on a good day)

BentHammer

Chimp
Dec 30, 2005
Hooples, yes, I am building the frame. My hope is to build this one, ride it for a year then give it to my wife and build the mark two model with what I've learned from this one :)

Stinkyboy, that site looks like a good one but it receives a tiny fraction of the traffic that this one does- and most of my questions and purchases are going to be bike related, not trike-specific. Thank you for the link, though.