Quantcast

Rekluse clutch on a motocross bike to make it feel like a dh bike?

i'm considering giving riding moto a stab. since i'm crossing over in reverse from DH to Moto, i was thinking about modifying a motocross bike with a Rekluse clutch and rear brake lever so the controls will be like a dh bike.

anyone tried this?

meaning, the Rekluse is an auto clutch, so the manual clutch lever can be eliminated. I would reverse the front brake brake to the left side, and then add a rear brake lever to the right side. throttle would still be on the right.

theoretically this would essentially mirror a dh bike except now with throttle.

worthwhile? or am i crazy?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
A friend of mine has done just this, and he says its amazing. I haven't ridden it but I'm sure its fun. What kind of bike are you trying to do it on?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
GFF was talking about that. I rode a WR that had on and it was OK. I know a lot of the high end thumper guys run them (Husaberg, Husky, VOR).

That's why I want the BRD RedShift, rear brake on the bar!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Whats wrong with a clutch? You can bump start your bike, feather the clutch to go really fast out of turns, plus a ton of other advanced techniques.

I personally hate Rekluses. They have a dead feeling right off idle and in low throttle situations. Every time I swap bikes with a friend who has one I can't wait to get back on mine.

I went from DH to moto and had no problems with the moto style braking. I think its a rite of passage to ride a two-stroke with a clutch when you learn. with a four-strokes and rekluse you just don't get a chance to learn some of the basics.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
There's nothing wrong with trying the clutch if it's something you really want, but just to mimic a dh bike just sounds silly. You manage to drive a car and ride a bicycle. A dirt bike is no different, it's just a different skill set. It's really not that complicated. Ride for a few days and you will get used to it. Not being a smart ass...but have you ever ridden a dirt bike or motorcycle at all? From your post it doesn't sound like it. One of the guys I work with has the Rekluse on his WR450 and loves it, but still has the stock brake configuration.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I just got a motorcycle and was worried about the configuration and my reactions in an emergency.

I'm a believer in training and muscle memory, but at the same time, it's not a big deal and you'll straighten it out in your head after a short time. No idea if the Rekluse is a good thing or not, but if you're only worried about mimicking your DH bike, seems way over the top in terms of effort and money, especially if you're not even sure if you'll truly end up being into motorbikes yet. Many, many more people ride both bicycles and motorcycles in standard configurations than some other setup.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Well let me say this..... there is but one reason to change a setup to have either dhbike mimic your moto or vice versa.............. so you can point it out to others that you ride both.

Its takes a single ride on tht moto to get used to the configuration, I go back and fort all the time and I can tell you even after a month of moto, jump on the DH bike and its instantly back to DH.... a month on DH, jump on the MOTO and its instantly back to moto.

No worrys at all.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
I have run the Rekluse Z-Start Pro on previous bikes but I haven't installed one on my new-to-me ride. I am beginning to appreciate the skill involved and versatility of a standard clutch. Spend the $300-$900 you would spend on an auto-clutch on tires and post ride beers.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
My dad swears by them and he's got years of experience without one (rode A-class quads won state champion a few times in Tn, rode A class moto in his prime, and 30+ B in GNCC 4 or 5 years ago).

I can't stand the things myself. Even though they have systems that retain your clutch it still isn't the same as laying the bike over and dropping the clutch. If you want it to feel like a DH bike get a 2-stroke. I think my experience on a four-stroke is the reason I drag my brakes so badly riding DH... I'm used to having pressure on my palms while descending because of my 250f's engine braking. I've been considering picking up a KTM 150 2t to re-teach myself how to ride but I don't think I could give up the holeshots my 250f consistently gives me.

@Doug. If you think your hydro clutch is easy on the fingers now give one of these a try. http://www.midwestme.com/ I snapped my clutch lever off at the master cylinder after sending my bike over a hill and picked up one of these. It's so easy it feels like your clutch springs have broken.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
you guys are all getting the wrong point for the rekluse....first of all it isnt a automatic. it is centrifugal, it isnt made so you can place brake on the bars it is a by product.

the reason for the clutch is you dont have to clutch, if you actually used one for this purpose you would under stand.

you can bump start with a rekluse

you can adjust the spring weight

you can wheelie

you camp bump logs

and you can still mash whatever gear you want, the simple part of the clutch means you can come into a corner doing 50 and come out in the same gear and not have to worry about clutching or shifting.

if you want a moto like a DH bike, change your DH brakes around like everyone else does

I was the biggest skeptic of the rekluse untill I actually flogged one in a ktm in the gifford pinchot (toughest riding in the west) and it made me smile, skills improved, gained more speed and twice the confidence.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Yeah, I definitely see their point, how they could help, and I would probably want one if I were doing 3 hour GNCC's. I, however, trail ride and race D class MX on my wood's bike. I ride for fun and rekluse is no fun for me.

BikerBoy28

Monkey
Jul 3, 2006
Bellingham, Wa
Going from DH to Moto the clutch is probably going to be the least of your problems. Getting used to going from always standing on a DH, to sitting on a moto will be the biggest issue most likely. I have a buddy that got his first moto and it was hillarious to watch him try to corner standing up and "preload" a jump like he would a DH and pull on the bars.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Going from DH to Moto the clutch is probably going to be the least of your problems. Getting used to going from always standing on a DH, to sitting on a moto will be the biggest issue most likely. I have a buddy that got his first moto and it was hillarious to watch him try to corner standing up and "preload" a jump like he would a DH and pull on the bars.
hmmmmm......not too sure what you tend to ride, but out here your on the pegs 80% of the time.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I just got a motorcycle and was worried about the configuration and my reactions in an emergency.
Street and dirt are very different - on a street bike, your ass or thigh are always on the seat and the bike doesn't change pitch nearly so drastically. The consistent body position makes braking about as sensitive as in a car. Off-road not so much... Trying to shift and brake in stiff moto boots, while standing, especially while sliding your ass back on a descent, with the rear of the bike bouncing all over the place is really really hard.

As a MTB to moto crossover, I think a Rekluse makes an amazing difference. Eliminating the clutch is really nice, and moving the brake is a godsend.

Huh? I corner seated (if it's smooth/bermed), but the rest of the time I'm out of the saddle. I found the riding style adjustment really easy and natural. The rear brake has been unquestionably the toughest part.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
At first I was thinking, oh another homo who's afraid of a clutch. Might still be the case

I actually like the idea of my rear brake on my bars because I always grab front first and get around to putting my foot on the rear.

Still ain't gonna spend the money on a recluse. Bars, grips, pipe, programmer, skidplate, rad guards, bark busters, tires, tools, moto boots, pants, jackets, license, and insurance all come first

I.van

Monkey
Apr 15, 2007
Australia
Look up the "Clake", it a combined clutch and brake lever, made by some Aussie dude. It's super expensive for what it is, but I've heard it's awesome.