Quantcast

Relative void in high end clipless pedals (for gravity riding)

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
As far as very expensive, light weight, high performance, shiny-blingy platform pedals go, there are more of those out there than you can shake a stick at.

But when you want a good clipless pedal, you have the Shimano 647 pedal. It's thick, it's got a resin cage, it's heavy. It seems like even if you had the money to blow, you wouldn't have many options.

There seems to be a bit of a void for a thin (within reason), light, shiny clipless pedal. Clipless pedals seem to not get mashed as bad as platforms anyway, which to me, would make it seem like a better investment than buying a $300 platform pedal, ready to be mashed.

Are there any companies out there filling these shoes?

and...Crank brothers pedals don't count as real pedals.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I love my Time Z Control pedals and at <$100 how can you go wrong?

I run them on all my bikes and they've taken more abuse than any other pedal I've ever had without a single issue.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
It is strange this void that you speak of. I'd like ti think Shimano might be ready to fill it. Have you noticed how much thinner the new XTR pedals are than the previous generation? I've run Time and Crank Bros, but have returned to SHimnao, and it seems much better to me, but what I find strange is that so many pros run Crank Bros., even Shimano sponsored riders don't use the 647.

bobsten

Monkey
Oct 23, 2008
rain rain go away
ya... the new time roc Zs are basically the beezkneez. 100% more reliable than crank brothers and 100% more intuitive than shimano. I run time on everything from CX to DH to XC. best pedals, period.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
XTR trail = the greatest DH clipless pedal, ever.

very thin, very durable (over 100 dh days on mine, no issue what so ever), ~380g.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Anyone try the SLX trail pedals....?....i haven't even seen them in person.
Can be had for $50....

"These pedals are the same design as the new XTR &#8216;trail&#8217; pedal and only about 20g heavier. And starting from the £30-ish mark, we reckon they&#8217;re going to be a real winner this year for riders who love clipless, but want a little more security, or unclipped purchase&#8230;"

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Anyone try the SLX trail pedals....?....i haven't even seen them in person.
Can be had for $50....

"These pedals are the same design as the new XTR ‘trail’ pedal and only about 20g heavier. And starting from the £30-ish mark, we reckon they’re going to be a real winner this year for riders who love clipless, but want a little more security, or unclipped purchase…"

If those are the same as the pd-m530 I would steer far away from them. A couple people at my shop picked them up early this summer and we all ended up sending them back within the first few rides. The pedal does not release and is a pain to get in. The replacements were no better. It's a sub $50 pedal and performs exactly as such.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I've got XTR Trails pedals. They survived season of riding, including 2 week trip to France. They've got some hard hit, but they're still intacted. Real weight is 375g.
But, there is another product on the way from HT - AD01 - a dual mechanism, SPD compatible, full size platform (I hope) steel or Ti spindle. Should be available in 2012.

I am going to wait for the price and consider switching my XTRs.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Peaty, Gwin, Hart, Minnaar, etc. .... all use Crank Bros Mallets. "Real" enough for them! :rolleyes:
they get paid to run them. on top of that, they have wrenches that will repair/rebuild/replace whatever needs to be done, including cleats (which imo is the weakest part of the CB pedals)

what the pros run has nothing to do with what will work for the average consumer. I put more stock into what semi-pros and privateers use than what pros run. same with that other thread about Keronite Boxxers. fer gawd's sake does anyone actually believe the pros forks have the same internals as consumer forks?! puhlease.

anyways, back on topic, time pedals have been bombproof for me and my hack ways. I'm curious to try out the new ones with the plastic cage. the aluminium Zs are great, but they weigh a ton.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^

I agree, altho I wonder if they're really that much lighter than the other current "platform style" clip pedals offerings? As for the profile, I don't think they will ever be really thin with a functional dual sided clip mechanism.

Yes, Capt. Obvious is obvious.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
The XTR's look nice, maybe if made with the same style towards a Saint direction.

The pedals being made just don't seem very intuitive when it comes to what you need for DH. I'm tired of clipless pedals that try to be platform pedals with pins and all. You don't ever use the platform on a clipless pedal unless you're going out on the town with flip flops. IMO platforms on clipless DH pedals need to be there to protect the mechanism and to guide your shoe in when you clip in quickly. XTR looks like it's going in that direction, could be slightly bigger though... and for that price, more colorful!

I've heard great things about Time and would be my first choice, but they seem really hard to find (here at least). I never saw their products advertised or on interbike stuff anymore. I actually thought they went out of business.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I've got XTR Trails pedals. They survived season of riding, including 2 week trip to France. They've got some hard hit, but they're still intacted. Real weight is 375g.

TBH you can get away with some am parts though ;) Still Id be tempted to try the new xts since they are cheaper and it wouldnt hurt me so much to kill them. My twenty6 were a bit baldish after morzine this year, even worse after ruzomberok.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Fixies dont count ;) But still tell me how. I was interested since I wanted to do some back and forth between flats and clips next season
2 days of northstar on a blur LT, rode the whole mountain. Surprisingly that's the only thing that didn't hold up. They are on my fixie now

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
As nice as these look, I've got a feeling that they aren't going to work so well:
- No floating mechanism or pedal shape to allow for clipping in. Your foot may well foul the front section of the pedal when you're trying to clip in
- If your shoes are in contact with the pins when clipped in, that would/could (probably depending on the particular shoe) affect the amount of float you get along with ease of clipping out (the one without the pins should perform better)

Hopefully I'm wrong though, as my HT flats have been brilliant

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
2 days of northstar on a blur LT, rode the whole mountain. Surprisingly that's the only thing that didn't hold up. They are on my fixie now
I have to say im suprised. My xc bike has ~10year old time atacs on it and they are still strong. Even after many many hits. I was allways a follower so time designing something weak is new to me.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
As nice as these look, I've got a feeling that they aren't going to work so well:
- No floating mechanism or pedal shape to allow for clipping in. Your foot may well foul the front section of the pedal when you're trying to clip in
- If your shoes are in contact with the pins when clipped in, that would/could (probably depending on the particular shoe) affect the amount of float you get along with ease of clipping out (the one without the pins should perform better)

Hopefully I'm wrong though, as my HT flats have been brilliant
As for the no floating mechanism - I've had Syncros Traverse AM ans XTRs built these way and I don't complain.
I will ask my buddy, who rocked these pedals at least half of season.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Both the Syncros and XTRs have much smaller cages so wouldn't suffer from this problem. (Time's don't have a floating mech either, but the Z's are shaped in a way that lifts the front of the pedal up when you're wanting to clip-in)

Thought the Hts weren't out yet?

Last edited:

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I have ATACS that are close to 20 years old and still OK, but my Zs spindles bent really easily. I also find the 647s much easier to get into and out of than the Zs, and better than the venerable 636 as well.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
I know bling is important for some, but for god sake, why?? These pedals are just gooooood. Why bother. Plenty of other places to shave weight on a bike. Maybe I'm anti-progress, but pedals take a good beating DHing so why not put a pair you know will survive? Maybe hook up a pair of the nice XTRs trails come race time. Plenty bling IMHO.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
^^^^ Man speaks the truth.^^^^

I have some XTR trails as well. They're great, but I prefer the extra support the 647's offer. I think they're the toughest pedal on the planet, except for maybe those Syncros Mental Stainless bodied pedals from a few years back...

Edit: I haven't bolted the XTR's to my big bike yet...

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I know bling is important for some, but for god sake, why?? These pedals are just gooooood. Why bother. Plenty of other places to shave weight on a bike. Maybe I'm anti-progress, but pedals take a good beating DHing so why not put a pair you know will survive? Maybe hook up a pair of the nice XTRs trails come race time. Plenty bling IMHO.

Decent pedals. They like to loosen up though.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Shimano doesn't get very adventurous when it comes to progression but here's to hoping the XTR trail technology trickles down and updates the 647. It works, but if we always just stuck with what worked we'd still be on those boat anchor metal DX's.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I think they're the toughest pedal on the planet, except for maybe those Syncros Mental Stainless bodied pedals from a few years back
Nah, the 646 has to win that one. They weigh about as much as a '60s Buick, but I'm not convinced it's possible to break them. Believe me, I've tried.

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
As far as very expensive, light weight, high performance, shiny-blingy platform pedals go, there are more of those out there than you can shake a stick at.

But when you want a good clipless pedal, you have the Shimano 647 pedal. It's thick, it's got a resin cage, it's heavy. It seems like even if you had the money to blow, you wouldn't have many options.

There seems to be a bit of a void for a thin (within reason), light, shiny clipless pedal. Clipless pedals seem to not get mashed as bad as platforms anyway, which to me, would make it seem like a better investment than buying a $300 platform pedal, ready to be mashed.

Are there any companies out there filling these shoes?

and...Crank brothers pedals don't count as real pedals.
why don't you just go down to the local jewelry store and buy some baubles and then take the baubles and the pedals to your nearest expert metalworker to have them brazed onto the pedal bodies?

everyone knows that bling is more important to bike riding than actual bike riding itself.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Hmmm, i've had 636's for 10+ years that eventually succumbed to a decent rock clip and bent the outer cage badly enough that they were scrap, I've tried Mallets and decided that I didn't like the feel, My 2 year old 647's have slightly bent axles, cracked cages and I struggle to see how you can improve them. The cage directs my foot into the cleat, the cage bends and slides over rocks better than a metal one, there is a solid click when you clip in, they continue to function way past the point of requiring some maintenance. Make them skinnier and lighter - sure I'd be keen. But as to changing the way they function - nah not for me. They are the most solid, boring, reliable part of my bike and thats kinda nice. Now I'm off to the shed to service my 40's that weep like a metrosexual watching when harry met sally, rebuild my Vivid, re-lace another lightweight rim and replace another set of sticky rubber that wears out in days or weeks...