Quantcast

Relative void in high end clipless pedals (for gravity riding)

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
It is, and you don't. I still like the way SPDs feel better, they don't have the same accidental clip out issues, and I haven't bent any spindles on Shimano pedals.
So for you the unintentional unclip outweighs the cant clip in and need to ride a rock garden on one foot?

Disclamer: I haven't clipped in since my XC days so I'm just curious.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
So for you the unintentional unclip outweighs the cant clip in and need to ride a rock garden on one foot?

Disclamer: I haven't clipped in since my XC days so I'm just curious.
I've been riding clipped for so long that there isn't really a tradeoff. Very very rare that I miss trying to clip in.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
That rebuild video looked pretty easy and I doubt you would have to do it more than once a season.
The specific problem with my mallets were that they would loosen off the axle every now and then. Not a big deal and easy to fix but pedals aren't supposed to do that. After about 8mos of riding the tension spring for one of the clips snapped. I haven't even been able to get a replacement because the spring isn't part of a rebuild kit and the pedals were used and therefore would not be warrantied. Can't even get them fixed!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Mallets? Oh I can count the ways...("paperweights" on my desk right now, although I have one "good" one in a box somewhere)...

No adjustable tension (what do you mean you "don't need it"?, you don't even "need" clipless pedals, it's a nice feature to have).

Inferior materials/design that cause spindles to break, bearings to give out, wings to bend, and so on. I've had all of these problems. Weird to have your entire pedal body come off the pedal while riding too, that's a nice feature.

The "4-sided" entry mechanism that is free to "spin" in the pedal can cause your foot to "shoot forward" if you are trying to clip in and just happen to catch it at the wrong point. I'd supposed this is trying to compete with shimano's "30 degree tilt" that assists in clipping in, except that with the shimano you simply step "down" and the CB requires you to "rotate forward". Again, if you catch it wrong, your foot goes shootign off forward.

The scissor design that lets go when you hit the bottom of it with a rock. Yes, I've done this and shot my knee into my handlebar more than once.

The pitiful cleats that seemingly evaporate in a month or two, these cause some pretty crazy unpredictable exists, again, sending my knee into the handlebar, although supposedly they are using better material or you can upgrade to steel. I think due to the nature of the wings, a soft metal like brass is needed for the entire system.

Mechanism that relys on angular deflection more than spring tension. Sure, you have to "twist" both pedals to some extent, but as you deflect further, if you pull up with the shimano pedals, they will release, vs you have to reach a certain angle with the CBs, no matter how hard you pull up. In extreme situations, it's impossible to twist your heel inwards, lets just say it's some crazy fall and you've gotten out of one pedal, but as you are falling you can only leverage inwards towards the bike/chainstay. With shimano pedals you can get out in this situation, it's harder, but you can. With CBs I've never been able to, I've taken some crappy falls due to this, even though somewhat rare, it's bad when it happens.

And of course AZ rocks made these pedals their b*tch. They just seem ill-designed, usually with one nice feature (4-sided entry) and then storely lacking in other features, such as bearing longevity, axle strength, adjustability, consistant release/entry, etc. They work well for some people in some situations, but I've been through way too many pairs to consider them a realistic choice. If you need disposable pedals on the other hand...

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Mallets? Oh I can count the ways...("paperweights" on my desk right now, although I have one "good" one in a box somewhere)...

No adjustable tension (what do you mean you "don't need it"?, you don't even "need" clipless pedals, it's a nice feature to have).

Inferior materials/design that cause spindles to break, bearings to give out, wings to bend, and so on. I've had all of these problems. Weird to have your entire pedal body come off the pedal while riding too, that's a nice feature.

The "4-sided" entry mechanism that is free to "spin" in the pedal can cause your foot to "shoot forward" if you are trying to clip in and just happen to catch it at the wrong point. I'd supposed this is trying to compete with shimano's "30 degree tilt" that assists in clipping in, except that with the shimano you simply step "down" and the CB requires you to "rotate forward". Again, if you catch it wrong, your foot goes shootign off forward.

The scissor design that lets go when you hit the bottom of it with a rock. Yes, I've done this and shot my knee into my handlebar more than once.

The pitiful cleats that seemingly evaporate in a month or two, these cause some pretty crazy unpredictable exists, again, sending my knee into the handlebar, although supposedly they are using better material or you can upgrade to steel. I think due to the nature of the wings, a soft metal like brass is needed for the entire system.

Mechanism that relys on angular deflection more than spring tension. Sure, you have to "twist" both pedals to some extent, but as you deflect further, if you pull up with the shimano pedals, they will release, vs you have to reach a certain angle with the CBs, no matter how hard you pull up. In extreme situations, it's impossible to twist your heel inwards, lets just say it's some crazy fall and you've gotten out of one pedal, but as you are falling you can only leverage inwards towards the bike/chainstay. With shimano pedals you can get out in this situation, it's harder, but you can. With CBs I've never been able to, I've taken some crappy falls due to this, even though somewhat rare, it's bad when it happens.

And of course AZ rocks made these pedals their b*tch. They just seem ill-designed, usually with one nice feature (4-sided entry) and then storely lacking in other features, such as bearing longevity, axle strength, adjustability, consistant release/entry, etc. They work well for some people in some situations, but I've been through way too many pairs to consider them a realistic choice. If you need disposable pedals on the other hand...
I think the only reason these have been so successful is because 647's are but ugly and don't get new color schemes or ways-to-fail-features every year.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I think the reason you don't see the many different flavors of clipless pedals as you do flats is because it actually takes some engineering and manufacturing to make clipless. Its gotta be much much harder to make a clipless pedal than a flat. Plus I'm sure there are some patents around the clipless mechanical system that doesn't exist on flats.

There was a time in the 90's where you'd find small companies throwing out a design of there own (remember Onza's pedals? Yikes) or a SPD knockoff. But they never worked as well or were as durable as the big players.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I have ATACS that are close to 20 years old and still OK, but my Zs spindles bent really easily. I also find the 647s much easier to get into and out of than the Zs, and better than the venerable 636 as well.
This was my only gripe with ATACs for years. I had 3 pairs of pedals I used to keep in rotation that I'd just switch between when I bent a spindle. About 3-4 years ago they started making a harder spindle that you can buy for about 12 bucks. I haven't bent a single one of those.

It still cracks me up how many die hard crank bros clipless users are out there with such long lists of complaints. Time pedals have an almost identical feel with the same twisting float (the big reason I use them) and they don't fall apart.

Keep buying from the company that puts out the most ads though. They must be better with all them fancy dressed pros riding them.