Quantcast

Religion dictates that Nanotechnology is morally unnaceptable???

Discussion in 'Politics & World News' started by Plummit, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Plummit

Plummit Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    WTF? 70.5% of Americans surveyed said they think nanotechnology is morally unacceptable. The results of the survey were about the opposite in Europe with 50.4% of UK residents, 62.7 % of Germans, and 72.1% of the French responding that the technology is morally acceptable. The article theorizes that American religiosity is partly to blame, suggesting that nanotech is lumped in with biology and other sciences seen to be used in the obviously evil pursuit of improving our lot, in part, by creating compounds that don't exist in nature.

Of course, the sample size is small, and who knows how the study was conducted. My personal theory is that the avg. American is f-ing retarded, doesn't know what nanotechnology is, and is more worried about the price of gas than emerging technologies. I'm fairly sure these same moral objectors will use medications and products derived from nanotech as they become available. In fact, they may already be doing so.

Link to Article

On a similar tack, I heard an amusing quote recently about GWB not believing in evolution, but as soon as the bird flu appeared on the scene and posed a threat, he turned to scientists and said, "We need to know how fast this thing is mutating!"

Please register to disable this ad.

2. r464

r464 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    My guess is that 80% or more could not define nanotechnology.

If you don't know what it is, hate it. That's the American way.

3. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    446 / 2,838
    Nano nano

4. syadasti

syadasti i heart mac

Rep/Likes:
    64 / 291
    Wow. I always knew those Easton carbon bars were evil, but I thought it was the high price tag. Now I know it was teh nanotechnology - CNT is the devil's work:crazy:

5. N8 v2.0

N8 v2.0 Not the sharpest tool in the shed

Rep/Likes:
    18 / 149
    anything that the French are 72.1% for.. I am totally against just on general principle.

6. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    446 / 2,838
    So you are against the American Revolution?

Go to Canada you Loyalist pig.

7. N8 v2.0

N8 v2.0 Not the sharpest tool in the shed

Rep/Likes:
    18 / 149

I gonna Tory up now

8. Changleen

Changleen Paranoid Member

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 4
    Idiots.

9. CrabJoe StretchPants

CrabJoe StretchPants Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick

Rep/Likes:
    89 / 422
    nano = 10^-9

damn you evil number!

10. MikeD

MikeD Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists

Rep/Likes:
    13 / 62
    No, that was the REAL government of France, not this "republic" thing.

11. JRogers

JRogers talks too much

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 1
    Well, I consider myself a reasonably intelligent individual and I have pretty much no idea what nanotechnology is.

But I am in divinity school, so I guess I'm supposed to hate it.

12. MikeD

MikeD Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists

Rep/Likes:
    13 / 62
    How many devils can you fit upon a match head?

13. CrabJoe StretchPants

CrabJoe StretchPants Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick

Rep/Likes:
    89 / 422
    Nano = 10^-9

Really small things. Small anything; motors, computer chips, robots, everything.

14. LordOpie

LordOpie MOTHER HEN

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    You need to watch/read more Sci-Fi :)

15. MMike

MMike A fowl peckerwood.

Rep/Likes:
    61 / 84

It's a device that shrinks Satan down and injects him into your body to get rid of the diseases and ailments that God bestowed upon you in his infinite wisdom.

16. Plummit

Plummit Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    It's also the combination of nanotech as part of the triumvirate of evil: Stem Cell research, Biology and Nano...

Counterbalanced by Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

Yin and Yang, the world spins on.

17. Inclag

Inclag Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 43
    Satan.....is that you?

18. ire

ire Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 4
    We're Americans, anything small sucks...bigger is better, right?

19. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    446 / 2,838
    In September I'll get to play with a CNC machine that can cut parts like this

20. Dartman

Dartman Old Bastard Mike

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Tis' the devils work there Westy.

:rofl:

21. $tinkle

$tinkle Expert on blowing

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 5
    i'm disappointed in sciencedaily. a sample set of around a thousand, with no indication as to the demographic or the phrasing of the question(s)? did they go to a sprint car race in wetumpka alabama & poll rednecks in the parking lot?

but we're supposed to take at face value another "belief": that of Scheufele's assertion it's these plebes' beliefs that explain their ignorance?

reads like a hit piece; me no likey

22. $tinkle

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 5
    and another thing: they equate morality with religion. well that puts them in quite a spot if you think about it: no religion == no morality, or so they claim.

23. syadasti

syadasti i heart mac

Rep/Likes:
    64 / 291
    Perhaps you'll like this book:busted:

24. $tinkle

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 5
    let me plod through the ann coulter series first. afterwhich, if i survive multiple self-inflicted gunshots to the head, i should be intellectually prepared to apply your recommended balm.

25. Plummit

Plummit Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I think rather than no religion= no morality, they are saying religion often dictates what is considered moral or not based on a closed perspective, i.e Galileo and Copernicus committed heresy by suggesting something that while true, ran counter to Church dogma. A current equivalent taking other perspectives into consideration: for Catholics, contraception = immoral and a sin, while for Episcopalians that's simply not true. I think you could make an effective argument that given the miseries of unwanted babies (check out what's happened to the thousands of unwanted children in Romania, born when Chauchescu(sp?) banned contraception.) and spreading HIV and other std's that the Catholic stance is "immoral." Of course, this doesn't accommodate their view, to quote "The Meaning of Life," that "Every sperm is sacred."

I think the main thrust, on the heels of using contraception as an example, of the article was to point out the extreme distrust of science engendered in much of American religion. On the sample size and methods, I agree w/ you. In fact, it's shocking how small sample sizes are for so many of the polls and studies quoted by the major news outlets.

I do think that the premise that nanotech is immoral is absurd. You could make the argument that releasing nano sized particles into ground soils or wastewater in an unchecked form of new pollution is immoral, but I think the kneejerk reaction/concept that using our brains in any other manner than to venerate or tithe to be sinful or immoral is the truly repellent and immoral idea in the room.

26. $tinkle

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 5
    you're being charitable, and i'm sure if the direct question was put to the author, he would concur with your interpretation. he just offered it up in a clumsy manner. would you suggest that due to the church's silence on nanotechnology that this is correlated to heresy? talk about a close-minded pov. it appears as though he hasn't done the necessary rigorous work to find this out, which doesn't reflect well upon his camp.
    but for both, sex outside of marriage is also a sin. catholics are merely adhering to that doctrine to the extreme by naming the use of contraception as a sin, and are not giving any ground. i enjoyed the fruits of their ignorance with my first girlfriend, who was very catholic & easily manipulated. the thought of contraception would send her stuttering into hail marys & our fathers, but flesh-on-flesh caused her no noticeable spiritual dissonance
    he & his wife got quite the appropriate christmas gift, eh?
    and again, if they weren't doing what was (in the unblinking eyes of the church) immoral, this wouldn't be the problem that it is today.
    if i were in charge of this study, i would have ensured a good quality of the sample (multiple faiths in multiple economic classes in multiple cities), like anyone else i assume. and maybe it was done, but i see no indication from the article that it was. and i reckon 1,000 or so would be sufficient if, again, the sample was fair.
    true. for when nanotechnology is used to save or improve lives, how can it be anything but moral?

guess that makes me a heretic.

27. reflux

reflux Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 2
    ^ I hope this doesn't turn into another religiosity vs intelligence thread.