Quantcast

Relocating to Texas: Houston vs Austin/SA

DocMalzbier

Chimp
Oct 8, 2009
Hi,

I'm originally from Germany, where I enjoyed beautiful trails in my backyard. Due to my job I moved to New York City in 2008, which was not the best move for riding a bike (there are some trails, but getting there without a car is a hustle).
I have met my future wife in New York and while she is a true Texan we are planning to move (back) to Texas. We are considering Houston, Austin and San Antonio as our potential new homes. I have been to Houston for business several times and I didn't like it too much. But the job and housing market favors Houston. But after almost giving up biking while in New York I'm concerned about more riding time while living in Texas.

I currentlty have an upgraded Specialized Pitch Pro All-Mountain and an Iron Horse Sunday Downhill bike. Based on discussions here I won't be able to use the Iron Horse in our potential new homes. I also believe that biking is much more interesting in Austin and San Antonio, but my future wife isn trying to sell me on Houston due to job and housing market. My biggest concern is the biking in Houston.

Could someone please compare Houston vs Austin/San Antonio from a biking perspective?

What is the closest bike park with a lift from these cities? I assume I have to travel by plane.

Any suggestions or recommendation is highly appreciated. I tried to talk to people from Houston about this issue, but if the person has no idea about MTB the answers are usually useless. In my view MTB is more than riding relaxed on fire roads.

Thanks

Chris

WaveDude

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
TX
www.ghorba.org for trail info.

No DH bike needed. Your AM bike will be fun to ride. Plenty of XC trails--mostly tame pedal-fests. Jack Brooks has some technical features. AntHills has some fun ups and downs. Closest lift is in New Mexico or Colorado. Arkansas has some DH trails. Dallas has some freeride stuff.

igotabike

Chimp
Nov 8, 2003
atx
move to austin if you want to ride offroad. there are no lifts in the state of texas but there are a few downhillers