Quantcast

Relocation locations?...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
For medical reasons my wife and I may need to relocate from our current location in Colorado to somewhere with more humidity. She's developed a type of heat urticaria, and the dry climate in Colorado isn't fun anymore when she has an attack which manifests as horrifically painful itching all over. She has seen too many doctors and the medicine which had been helping is no longer cutting it. Being in a more humid location seems to greatly reduce the likelihood of an attack.

For those that know us, no messages to my wife please. I keep hoping for a miracle cure as I couldn't love my current lifestyle and location more and hate that we're likely going to have to give it up. There's still a thousand things I wanted us to do together "out west"...

Where TF is a good location to move to with some humidity, where the temp isn't likely to be roasting outside all summer and that has some vert to climb on our bikes? Right now we're spoiled for riding/outdoors living with every type of riding option straight from our house.

I may take up hard drugs if I end up permanently in a flat part of Michigan.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
If it were me and humidity + good riding were the “only” requirements, the choice would actually be pretty easy… Either Bellingham, WA or Asheville, NC.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Big oof. Plenty of humidity here in MA, but also traffic, HCOL, and people. Not much for elevation either.

What about Vermont? Still humid(er), lots of mountains, beautiful riding. No idea what you do for work but that could be a li. miter.

NY or PA could also work if you can be in a fringe ex-urb or something. I used to live in Syracuse and loved that area, but no jobs.

NH is too trumpy and Maine is too…Maine. Western VA could be nice but HOT summers And lots of trumpers.

Hope you can find something good. I’d love to get out to CO to lose this humidity, Sunday’s ride was a bath.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If it were me and humidity + good riding were the “only” requirements, the choice would actually be pretty easy… Either Bellingham, WA or Asheville, NC.
I believe they spend a lot of time on road bikes, of which I cannot recommend anywhere in Western Washington. Plenty of gravel, but why?

For less heat and gutter punks than Asheville, I'd throw in a recommendation for Harrisonburg VA.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Big oof. Plenty of humidity here in MA, but also traffic, HCOL, and people. Not much for elevation either.

What about Vermont? Still humid(er), lots of mountains, beautiful riding. No idea what you do for work but that could be a li. miter.

NY or PA could also work if you can be in a fringe ex-urb or something. I used to live in Syracuse and loved that area, but no jobs.

NH is too trumpy and Maine is too…Maine. Western VA could be nice but HOT summers And lots of trumpers.

Hope you can find something good. I’d love to get out to CO to lose this humidity, Sunday’s ride was a bath.
PA is decidedly low on the elevation charts, but otherwise would check some boxes.

But in all honesty, hasn't been that humid this summer due to lack of rain.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
for the first time in 19 years of living in nc, i drove through brevard, nc a week or two ago.

holy shit.

i'd put a bullseye there.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
for the first time in 19 years of living in nc, i drove through brevard, nc a week or two ago.

holy shit.

i'd put a bullseye there.
Also not a bad call, I like the vibe of that town the couple times we went into town to get a beer or dinner.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I like Eric's idea. Somewhere in highway 101 Oregon/Cali or even Hwy 1 Cali territory? Just plot out road biking routes to avoid hillbilly pickup drivers...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I like Eric's idea. Somewhere in highway 101 Oregon/Cali or even Hwy 1 Cali territory? Just plot out road biking routes to avoid hillbilly pickup drivers...
I've ridden my road bike from Coos Bay to Los Angeles down 1/101 Mendocino and Humboldt had descent bike lanes even in the hills and they have great Mountain Biking, fishing, backpacking, Kayaking ect. Plus Mendocino has great food and an awesome brewery : North Coast Brewery

Dirtrider

noah
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
As an Asheville local, I would say Brevard over Asheville. Brevard still has a somewhat small town feel and better traffic. Asheville traffic sucks and all the tourism bullshit is really taking the ‘local’ feel out of the community. Asheville is all about the tourist dollar and what new brewery is opening next. Also, Brevard is pretty bike friendly. Asheville is 100%not bike friendly. That said it’s still pretty ok to live here. Good cost of living and great trails. I guess that’s why so many people are moving here. And we can ride year round. No sking or winter sports though.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Ive been to every state at least 3 times, the western half I lost count, some when fighting fires, some as a photographer, others in the military but mostly during full-time RV travel and moto trips such as back country discovery routes and photog gigs when I was living off the harley. I always seem to come back to the PNW due to the climate, the topography and having so much diversity in landscapes all within an hours drive. The oregon coast is where I am currently building my retirement home. It has mild winters, plenty of humidity, no snow, and is still affordable housing. Jobs are still plentiful and I would say is on par with the cost of living and wage-earning for coloradbro, actually the cost of living may be a bit lower depending on the locale. When I was traveling full time in the RV the last 3 years I was literally searching for property to stake my claim and I bought in arizona and next to Toshis folks, but I also enjoy fishing the pacific and mexico and also like the dunes and the desert so I have the best of both worlds.

I am still considering a doublewide in the keys since they are cheap to replace when the wind blows it off into the gulf but the east coast humidty is another creature in itself, I really enjoyed my time in NC, VT, KT and even TN but not a fan of wearing soppy wet clothes all day.

I would consider nor cal but from napa north on the coast to the Oregon border. But cost of living there is significantly higher than most and you will def have a commute for work but is beautiful and peaceful if you can handle cali politics and taxes.

The I5 corridor of the western states is very hot and crowded and the eastern parts of OR and WA are a whirlwind of weather patterns ranging from freezing to over 100 degrees and not much for job markets. If I didnt have the PNW to choose from I would say the gulf or the keys would be a close second since I dont do snow at all unless its for a day or two and dont have to shovel it.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:stupid:
western Oregon ask GFF for beta or NW California (Mendocino or Humboldt)
:stupid:

Anywhere in the triangle of Gurenville, Healdsburg and Mendocino. Gets more expensive the closer you get to the Bay Area obviously, but I LOVE that area. Last time we were there I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to move the family out there. Tons of road riding, definitely more humid than here, pretty temperate especially the closer you get to the water. Good food, obviously tons of great wine. I'd also second costal Washington/Oregon. If you really want to get remote, the San Juan islands. Obviously road riding becomes more limited on an island, but that area is downright magical IMO.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Can’trecommend western Oregon.

Road biking is horrible- I used to ride more road than Mtn. Just too dangerous here.

It is also not that humid here. (Relative to the east coast…)

Final point is with all of the population growth, it’s fucking crowded in the metro areas and suburbs. Probably equivalent to the Front Range these days…

Edit:

My Shasta area is super nice. If a little remote.

I used to love getting out into western Va, when I lived in Richmond.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think the two big places with trails and humidity would be the PNW and ANE, as mentioned. Further south on the east coast and there's no relief in summer. Further south on the west coast and it constrains you more to that area and getting out of anywhere near the bay area say to Tahoe is a major endeavor these days. It's not a "on a whim" and something easily repeatable for multiple weekends in a row. You gotta live a lot closer, like at least Sacramento and that's even pushing it these days.

The riding in WA is so good and there are so many good riding spots IME. It's not a big deal IMO if you are over by Sequim/Port LA and ride around there locally most of the time, on the weekend shoot down a little further south or take the ferry across, and so on. Sequim is in a rain-shadow BTW. But don't focus on those, just the entire sound has some great riding all around. If you want dry, you can shoot over to Wenatchee/Yakima, etc. The darkness of the winter is something to consider though.

Hell, it's relatively humid here and not hot. Yesterday my glasses were fogging up on the climb in the morning. But the riding sucks compared to most mountainous lower 48 states.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Well FTS. Every time we go to the Bay Area it feels like I'm going to die from the humidity. Anything in Northern CA and progressing north from there will be more humid - it's the beginning of the temperate rain forest that is the redwoods which drifts all the way up to Alaska.

CA, and Western OR & WA are going to be the most similar to CO socially. CA, the further north you go, the more redneck conservative it gets - just be aware.

Given Canada is Commonwealth, is the Vancouver-area an option? Can wife work from CAD since she has her own business (last I checked)?

NC obviously has the riding, but it's very different socially than CO. The triangle is it's own separate little world that is largely excluded and outvoted by the rest of the state.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Also dislike.
PNW, Wydaho, Asheville .
Wydaho is generally the same elevation, and basically the same humidity. And honestly, the road/ gravel options here are poor at best, besides pathways. (As much as I would love having you live here!)
I too would choose Brevard/W.N.C.
I love Vermont, and was born there, but the weather sucks.

Oh, right, CANADA.
I could live on the North Shore.
buy a house with a few rooms, please.

(this bums me out hugely, I hope you can figure things out. Mums the word).

Last edited:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
While I wouldn't normally do a "shout out" for Connecticut, it's got everything you've mentioned. It is humid as fuck during the warm months and typically only gets a handful of 90+ degree days in the summer (though we're getting more of those every year). The mountains here are small compared to the Rockies, but there is nothing flat here...there are hills everywhere you go. I have to go out of my way to plan a flat bike ride or run. There is a ton of mountain biking here and a pretty lively MTB culture.

If you care about the political climate you'd be moving to, Connecticut is firmly a "libtard" state, with Democrats for governor, both senators, and all five congressman.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
While I wouldn't normally do a "shout out" for Connecticut, it's got everything you've mentioned. It is humid as fuck during the warm months and typically only gets a handful of 90+ degree days in the summer (though we're getting more of those every year). The mountains here are small compared to the Rockies, but there is nothing flat here...there are hills everywhere you go. I have to go out of my way to plan a flat bike ride or run. There is a ton of mountain biking here and a pretty lively MTB culture.

If you care about the political climate you'd be moving to, Connecticut is firmly a "libtard" state, with Democrats for governor, both senators, and all five congressman.
the times I've driven through connecticutt there are a bunch of asshole drivers. granted i've stuck to the highways, is that a widespread thing or just my random experience?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
@6thElement, I'm sorry to hear that. Hope that this move, as unfortunate as it may be, works out for you and S.

You've lived back this way, so you know how tough it is to move from the half of the country with abundant public land and mountains to the half lacking in either. Other than all of you CO monkeys, the access to public land is what I miss most.

The North Conway, NH area could work. Lots of MTB access, plenty of hiking, humidity, temps typically don't get and stay high. Not too far from airports or more populous areas.

the times I've driven through connecticutt there are a bunch of asshole drivers. granted i've stuck to the highways, is that a widespread thing or just my random experience?
No, it's not. Connecticut and the northeast in general are chock a block full of dickhead drivers.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
78% humidity this morning. I’ll trade you.
84% here this morning. was 100% on monday morning... fucking disgusting biking the kids to camp. yuck. for all of you recommending places on the east coast, 6th said the problem was heat... does that include humidex heat? caus' in that case, the east isn't much better in the summer....

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
We live in the Adirondacks in NY and it checks off most of your boxes....out elevation isn't on point with the Rockies, but there is plenty of ups and amazing riding all around us. Plus, travel to VT, NC, and the surrounding areas is relatively easy.