Quantcast

Relocation locations?...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
my house has these and vinyl siding. it came that way, and I'm gonna ride it out until it's time to replace the siding.
My house in Virginia came with them. People who bought the house put them back , cut down all the trees in the front yard to make a parking lot and put up 2' high fake plastic picket fencing that encloses no area

1720547832646.png

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I'm still trying to figure out why boomers would buy a giant goddam house... WTF is wrong with people?
Gotta fill it up with tchotchkes. The, "I paid a lot of money for this, it is your inheritance" collection of beanie babies, or Hummel statues, or some other collectible that nobody wants and isn't worth the effort to try and sell, except to another boomer so they can add it to their collection.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My uncle owns a storage unit facility and recently commented about how much money he makes off people that mindlessly hold onto extraneous shit that they don't need but can't bring themselves to throw away.
They key is to just not buy shit you don't need or will never use. However my basement is full of worn out old bikes. At least I wore them the fuck out.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Gotta fill it up with tchotchkes. The, "I paid a lot of money for this, it is your inheritance" collection of beanie babies, or Hummel statues, or some other collectible that nobody wants and isn't worth the effort to try and sell, except to another boomer so they can add it to their collection.
My grandma had a metric shit ton of those God damned Franklin Mint "collectable" plates and I wound up with boxes full of them when she died. Kept them in the crawl space for probably 20 years. When we moved I started looking around on the Internet to see if they were worth anything to anyone. They absolutely were not. Every single one of them went in the dumpster and that was the exact sum total of the inheritance any of us got from her.

Well that, and generational trauma.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
my parents fill their house (adjacent to gff's planed out lot) up with artwork that my mom makes. and myrtlewood bowls. dozens upon dozens of them.

they are made of some nice wood tho, it is true

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
lol this thread delivers.
my parents crawl space has every piece of luggage they have owned. Hard sided shit from the 70s, shitty nylon from the 90s, and the modern lightweight stuff too. It’s like 14 suitcases and carry ons. WTF

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sorry to hear about this and hope it works out.

Well FTS. Every time we go to the Bay Area it feels like I'm going to die from the humidity. Anything in Northern CA and progressing north from there will be more humid - it's the beginning of the temperate rain forest that is the redwoods which drifts all the way up to Alaska.
Really? Maybe it's perspective as compared to CO? I moved to the Bay Area from New England and never feel humidity, particularly at the coast. I actually miss the occasional hot humid summer night. Looks like you're right about further North though.

1720556729927.png

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think the intensity of the sun here could be playing a part too. Somehow more testing is required outside of CO...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think the intensity of the sun here could be playing a part too. Somehow more testing is required outside of CO...

Sunshine has always felt way more intense to me in the west, moreso in the PNW. I think a lot has to do with low humidity and perfectly cloudless skies. East coast is rarely cloud free and the humidity actually absorbs the infrared light that feels hot. Up north the sun is always low in the sky and has a better angle of incidence to cook you.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
lol this thread delivers.
my parents crawl space has every piece of luggage they have owned. Hard sided shit from the 70s, shitty nylon from the 90s, and the modern lightweight stuff too. It’s like 14 suitcases and carry ons. WTF
last year my mom gave me a box of drawings i had made dating as far back as preschool. what the actual fuck.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
SC is definitely a college town. fall weekends when there's a home football game are an absolute shit show. clears out a lot in the summer at least.

it is very much a speck of civilization smack dab in the middle of deep pennsyltucky.
They have a Wegmans there. Carbondale is cooler and has better riding.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Brutal headache is making me want to curl up and die. I'm pretty sure that I'm dehydrated, given that I just sucked down 1L of water without batting an eye. But yeah, off to more water and hopefully some sleep.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Spent the day in Bend, OR a couple weeks ago. Cant say I didnt enjoy it...daughter is in uni in Corvallis, that seems nice too. The Frau and I cant rule it out for the future...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Spent the day in Bend, OR a couple weeks ago. Cant say I didnt enjoy it...daughter is in uni in Corvallis, that seems nice too. The Frau and I cant rule it out for the future...
Bend <> humidity increase above front range CO.

And my wife likely has PTSD about ever going there again as the bout of COVID I caught there in 2022 almost killed me and possibly contributed to her health issue after she contracted it from me.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I’ve lived all over North Carolina and spent most of my life here. I’d move to Brevard in a heartbeat if it were possible. Small town with a huge fucking forest to play in. Good food scene since it’s still close enough to Asheville to get some spill over. Even hotel coffee is decent.