Quantcast

Remember all the coin you dropped for your HDTV? Well get ready to do it again.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
If you plan on buying a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player, get ready to buy a new TV if you want to still be able to view your movies in Hi-Def.

If your TV only supports component video inputs, the signal will be reduced to 960 x 540 which is about 25% of normal. So you are gonna need to shell out for an set that is HDCP compliant.

Ouch

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I haven't upgraded and don't plan to for a little while. Unless you are rolling in dough I would suggest you hold off on running out to buy a new TV until they get some of these specs dialed in.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Reminds me of the first few DVD iterations that were released. I'll wait until they decide on some form of standard before I spend any coin.

I'm a cheap bastard.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
jimmydean said:
Reminds me of the first few DVD iterations that were released. I'll wait until they decide on some form of standard before I spend any coin.

I'm a cheap bastard.
I'm cheaper. I don't even own a regular DVD player.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Westy - at least yours is a 27" screen - I'm using the old school 20" RCA that my brothers got my ex and me for a wedding present way back in the day.

J

JRB

MMcG said:
Westy - at least yours is a 27" screen - I'm using the old school 20" RCA that my brothers got my ex and me for a wedding present way back in the day.
I think we have the same TV. :thumb:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Oh also, can someone explain to me why the TELEVISION has to support encrypted content? I still don't follow. It's a television.

Technically a DVD is encrypted with CSS, no special TV needed?

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Transcend said:
Oh also, can someone explain to me why the TELEVISION has to support encrypted content? I still don't follow. It's a television.

Technically a DVD is encrypted with CSS, no special TV needed?
Another (ineffective) anti pirating measure, they are worried about the analog signal.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
maxyedor said:
Completly off topic here, but does anybody know how to hook up a x-box, super NES and digi cable tv to a computer monitor? That way I can get a little more use out of my LCD monitors.
I klnow there are adapters out there that split the monitors signal between the Xbox and the computer.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Raise your hand is your CRT VGA monitor on your computer is the same screen size as your 6 year old TV.

They're both 21".

:D

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Tenchiro said:
Another (ineffective) anti pirating measure, they are worried about the analog signal.
Y afrom the article posted above, all analog will be 480i...regular TV. In any case, plugging it into a computer and running a software package along the lines of DeCSS will probably get you a raw digital signal and a perfect copy.

Way to make life harder for the average guy, and do absolutely NOTHING to combat piracy.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Transcend said:
Y afrom the article posted above, all analog will be 480i...regular TV. In any case, plugging it into a computer and running a software package along the lines of DeCSS will probably get you a raw digital signal and a perfect copy.

Way to make life harder for the average guy, and do absolutely NOTHING to combat piracy.
While I am definitely against this kind of crap you have to agree that they are making it hard enough to keep alot of people from figuring it out. The majority of non-technical people that I know still think DVD copying is some sort of mystery that requires a degree in rocket science to figure out.

mmaddmark

Monkey
Feb 24, 2004
my actual tv has been sitting in the garage on a shelf for 3 years. my bike sits in the living room where the tv used to. thanks to limewire...i may never watch braodcast tv again.

maxyedor..look on ebay..i forget what the device is called, but basically its a digi converter box, like the old school atari used to hook up to a tv.(the ole a-b switch) they make em to do what your lookin to for pc.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
maxyedor said:
Completly off topic here, but does anybody know how to hook up a x-box, super NES and digi cable tv to a computer monitor? That way I can get a little more use out of my LCD monitors.
A few companies make adaptors. Neoya made the best one, it plugged directly into the Xbox port, and offered higher res output to a crt monitor, but they stopped making them. You can find them on eBay for $100 or more now!

http://www.x2vga.com/

There are other options, but they don't allow the same resolution:

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=53&products_id=3166&lsaid=271300

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dfinn said:
While I am definitely against this kind of crap you have to agree that they are making it hard enough to keep alot of people from figuring it out. The majority of non-technical people that I know still think DVD copying is some sort of mystery that requires a degree in rocket science to figure out.
It means my mom can't copy DVDs...until i took 30 secsonds to show her dvddecrypter.

This isn't who they are trying to stop - they are trying to stop the large scale operations. Mom and pop are maybe 1% of the infringements. The 0 day operations will continue unimpeded, now with a nice shiny digital signal.

It's basically a pretty lame idea, and just means people need to buy new TVs.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Oh damn!

My Panasonic plasma has a HDMI and DVI inputs... so I don't have a legit reason to upgrade.

That totally locos...!

:mad:

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I could be wrong here but just because you have HDMI and DVI inputs doesn't mean that your TV is HDCP ready.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
dfinn said:
I could be wrong here but just because you have HDMI and DVI inputs doesn't mean that your TV is HDCP ready.
:stupid:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Toshi said:
It looked to me that Toshiba's new HD DVD player uses HDMI inputs...

AACS says the new players won't output a full-HD signal from their component-video connections, since those jacks are analog instead of digital and thus have no copy protection.
It looks like only those who don't have digital inputs are hosed...

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I believe HDCP is a form of encryption this is done over HDMI or DVI

In other words, you are completely screwed.